Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful home in an area I love. It looks like it's either take 22 steps to get to the front door or go in through the garage and then basement and up a flight. Would that be a deal-breaker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It would be now that we are 65 and 64, anticipating eventual knee or hip issues. Even before, with 3 kids it would have been a factor unless the garage was level with the house, for bringing in all those groceries and other stuff. A lot of townhomes have garage level entry, then up stairs to the kitchen/living area, and up more to the bedrooms. It maximizes the number of homes on the lot, so is more profitable, but I wouldn't like it at any age. If you are young and fit, it shouldn't be a big deal if the house is otherwise what you want. When it comes time to sell, the fact that you are asking means that many buyers will also hesitate.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It would be now that we are 65 and 64, anticipating eventual knee or hip issues. Even before, with 3 kids it would have been a factor unless the garage was level with the house, for bringing in all those groceries and other stuff. A lot of townhomes have garage level entry, then up stairs to the kitchen/living area, and up more to the bedrooms. It maximizes the number of homes on the lot, so is more profitable, but I wouldn't like it at any age. If you are young and fit, it shouldn't be a big deal if the house is otherwise what you want. When it comes time to sell, the fact that you are asking means that many buyers will also hesitate.
Thanks. Those are important things to consider. I'm 38 and healthy though I want to live at the place for a long time. My dad in his 50s developed a disability that prevented him from being able to walk on his own actually. I also have a dog and would have to bring her up/down when I wanted to walk her rather than just let her out in the backyard. I've been waiting a long time for a home in this community, though, and the home is really nice.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
If you really love the place, remember that you can get a chair lift if and when you need one. They're ugly IMHO, but as the ads say, they're cheaper than moving (or in your case, better than settling for a house you like much less).

Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
It's a beautiful home in an area I love. It looks like it's either take 22 steps to get to the front door or go in through the garage and then basement and up a flight. Would that be a deal-breaker?
Yes, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Keep looking.

Never settle for something you don't like, that you can't fix with a little paint or wallpaper.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times
I have friends who have a house like this and not only is it a pain for their parents, but for when you have groceries, deliveries,etc.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Not a deal breaker for us. We have a basement garage and either have to come up the stairs from the garage to the main living area (lots of times carrying groceries) or up the deck steps, which entails even more steps. I am fortunate that when I walk the dogs, I can go out the front door and down 4 steps to the yard, then to the gate and out onto our gravel road.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM

143 posts, read 167,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I lived that way for 11 years. It got really old after awhile even though I'm a very active person. Not sure where you live, but shoveling all those steps really sucked in the winter.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:20 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Our current house now has 16 steps, whether coming up to the front door, or up from the garage. We knew we didn't love all those steps, but we were on 3-day house hunting trip and pretty much had to buy something. Now, 3 years later, we're moving again so this house is on the market. One of the complaints we hear from prospective buyers: too many steps to get inside.

Honestly, I didn't mind the steps personally, as I'm in my mid-50s and good health, but we knew if we stayed here we'd eventually put in a pneumatic elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate