Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
It would be a deal sealer for me.

At age 59, I've lived in a house accessed by at least 60 stairs for the last 30 years.
Now, that's a lot of stairs. I bet it cuts down on riffraff hoping to look in the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:42 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No. I'm a worrier though. I'm always thinking, what if I break a leg? Also I live alone so if I broke a leg its not like someone is going to be taking care of me. (Although there is more grocery delivery avail now than in the past.)
And now that I'm older its a double no. No to living on a cement pad, no to tri's and bi's, under garages, any of that. A few stairs into a ranch, maybe a 2 story with main floor living.
That's a good point. I live alone too. What if I ever get injured? You're right. Also if my dog ever has an injury, that means we're either restricted to the back yard or I carry her down 22 stairs.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:13 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It depends. Houses with views often involve stairs, and I like a nice view.

We've just been out house hunting and there are not many houses that are single level. Many are 2 story, plus a basement, so 3 levels and 2 full flights of stairs.

I've got bad knees, but we discusses how a multi level house would work for us. Each house is a little different. The one we have in escrow will have a granny lift installed on the indoor stairs. I always laughed about them, but, by golly, it will make it easy for me to get up and down the stairs. So to heck with how visitors react to them.

Some of the houses with steps from the garage to the main level could have had a dumbwaiter put in for the groceries. Load it up in the garage and unload it in the main house.

They make an exterior granny lift, which I discovered when my son was really thinking about the house that came with it's own boat dock. The indoor ones are cheap, the outdoor ones are not cheap. The sunken living room could have the floor built up to the same level as the rest of the floor.

It's difficult , probably impossible, to find a house with everything on the dream list. Get the things you must have and figure out how to make the rest of it work. If you have to figure out how to make stairs work, then figure it out.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM

314 posts, read 237,462 times
It would be a big no for me, and we're young. Not only bringing in groceries / packages and shopping, but when we have kids strollers car seats kids falling etc. we also have a dog and while she is young and active, if god for it something happened and I had to carry her it wouldn't work either. Especially when the weather would not be as pleasant, rain snow. Sleet, 5 degrees and ice on the stairs, slipping would be a great concern especially when in a hurry.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
I avoid basements because it means either steps or unlevel lot. Both dealbreakers to me.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
If the steps were short (5-6 steps), then yes. Now that I'm older, I'd pass on long staircases, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate