Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,153,001 times

Advertisements

It varies for people I know. Some value all sports, some fishing, some quiet natural lakes. Some want river properties. It depends on area and a lot of other variables.

But generally speaking it costs more!

All sports lakes are probably the highest value
Sandy bottom with swimming even on a no wake lake is more valuable
than a lake with a mucky bottom, shallow etc.
Etc. down the line.
Same with Rivers. Kayakable, fishable, the smaller the less money.

How do you look at it?

Aong many other variables I value a shallow slope to the water. A lot of properties are what I call cliff dwellings with long staircases down to the water. Does that knock down the price on a popular lake property?

I got to wondering because I'm having my realtor preview a lake property that is a small no wake lake with a mucky bottom/no swimming. Now for me no wake is fine because I'm older and value nature and quiet now over skiing. But I would like to be able to swim so that sort of knocks down what I feel the price should be. Too small and private to be great fishing (not stocked by DNR).
All of this impacts any resale too which makes me think price should be lower than other lakes in the area. This particular property is not though and they have been stubbornly hanging on to the price for several years. The market this year is low inventory and hot so this year may be there lucky year. We'll see if I bite

How bout in your area? How is water front valued and how much of a bump do certain features rate?

Last edited by Giesela; 08-27-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,592,348 times
Low slope in coastal areas is not good, even though people might be willing to pay more for it.

They are vulnerable to water damage to homes during king tides, unusual storm surges, and all those nice events.

Lakes are different.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Yes I was thinking inland lakes not coastal when I used the waterfront certainly can't even remotely begin to afford Ocean front property. Dont know anyone who could.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,997,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yes I was thinking inland lakes not coastal when I used the waterfront certainly can't even remotely begin to afford Ocean front property. Dont know anyone who could.
I know plenty of people oceanfront. My parents for one.

Most people bought a long time ago.

Oceanfront varies greatly depending where you are.

The warmer it is and the closer to great cities, the pricier.

Hamptons, Southern California, Hawaii, South Florida probably top the list.

New buyers that I see are generally investment buyers or someone who buys for short term rentals.

Of course there are some lakes that are just as expensive.

Lake Tahoe for one.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,740,268 times
We lived directly on the ocean between 2002 and 2009 ... and directly on the harbor with a view of the ocean between 2010 and 2017. From that, it's pretty evident to me that waterfront (coastal) property is 'worth' whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Accessible or not, the water view bumps the value way up. Adding access at all increases it more, then the most valuable are those with a beach and/or dock. In our city we have 3 lakes with homes on them. The prices for those currently listed are $1.2-3.8 million, while the median home price is only $909,500. If you head to the ocean on the WA coast, you can buy a similar home for $200,000, because there are no jobs, and very little business. Beautiful but mostly limited to vacation homes/rentals.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

200,000 on the WA coast? I wonder why retirees don't snap them up. Are they quite rural?
Getting off topic.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,698,016 times
In Austin, Lake Travis and Lake Austin are much more valuable than the other lakes because of proximity to jobs. Lake Austin is constant level, so it's more valuable than Lake Travis which fluctuates. Since we had a drought for a few years, people now know which parts of Lake Travis will dry up, so those areas are now less valuable than they were before people knew they could possibly go dry for years.

Then you have properties that go right to the water, or the ones that sit higher and you have to take a path down to the water. The more convenient, the higher price... however, being up higher gives better views... so it's all personal preference.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:51 PM

13,629 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Location, location, location...

It all depends, on many, many factors...

Is it "cabin country" where you have to be retired, or can you commute to the job centers? Houses on Lake Minnetonka in the Minneapolis suburbs are expensive, but they are more expensive the further east you get on the lake. Lakefront 6 hours from population centers is cheaper than lakefront 2 hours from population centers.

How is the lake/river from a water quality perspective? As an easy example, Green Lake or Geneva Lake, less than two hours to Chicago, with a delightful resort town, are extremely expensive. The lakes are deep, the water clean and clear. You could get lake property closer, on shallower, smaller lakes for much less money.

Think about what you want. I don't know if a "no powersports" rule enhances or hurts the value. Again, it probably depends on the location. The Huron Mountain Club is a different animal than Pea Soup Lake.

I don't think I would worry about a motor rule, pro or con, without knowing more about the lake. I know plenty of calm, quiet lakes that have motor boats and public launches, but for various reasons don't attract many non residents, and the residents put-putting around on their pontoons aren't likely to ruin it for you.

If you're concerned, drive out there this weekend and see what it looks like. Labor Day is about as busy as you'll see it, maybe the 4th of July and Memorial day come close.

What are the public launch facilities like? If its a ramp at the end of a dirt road and little more, probably you have fewer folks coming to use it.

Fishermen aren't going to ruin your enjoyment. They drive the boat to where they want to fish, fish, and drive back. Nothing like Skiers or wave runners.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,786,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Aong many other variables I value a shallow slope to the water. A lot of properties are what I call cliff dwellings with long staircases down to the water. Does that knock down the price on a popular lake property?
My mother always defined High or Low Bank by whether you'd go back up for the potato salad if you forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate