Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Didn't rates get up around 18 percent in 1980 and 1981? I remember thinking 13 percent wasn't so bad, too. My landlord sold the house I was renting in 1983, and the big selling point was the buyer could assume the loan -- at 8 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
the first mortgage I got was ~9% in 1996. It went down to ~7% in 1998 thru 2006.

This is one reason I've suggested Abby consider her final cost in buying her first home.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
The problem with banking on a downsizing trend to get into your first home is that the majority of the millennials will enter their prime age for household formation in the next ten years. Note the large drop in singles from under-35 to their prime years of 35-to-54.

More Americans are living alone after recession | TheHill

I recall that the average age for a first-time homebuyer is 31.

Last edited by lchoro; 10-13-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 02:12 AM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
I also read that Baby Boomers are planning to age in place.

It doesn't make sense to me. My mom used to talk about downsizing a lot, but now she is planning to stay where she is. She loves her house, and she loves the view.

But her house is way too big for 2 elderly people. The house is probably about 3,000 square feet, with 3 baths and an awful lot of windows (some that are very high off the ground). The yard is about 3/4 acre; with several trees, several high-maintenance gardens and a huge lawn. That's a lot to take care of ! They can't take care of it by herself anymore, and has resorted to paying other people to clean and work on the yard.

But the bigger issue is maneuverability. She lives in a split-level house, so they need to use steps just to get into the house. The house is on a hill with an uneven yard, so walking around the house to the back is not that easy. My sister is talking about building a wooden pathway around the house to make it easier for her to walk to the back of the house (of course my sister and her husband would get paid to build it). She's already had foot and leg surgeries in the last couple years, and was hospitalized for about a week on another leg-related issue.

It's a nice house, but I think she should sell it and move into a ranch. They're both in their 70s, and are already having multiple health problems. I'm sure she can find a ranch house with a view just as nice as what she has, and maybe even better.

A few years ago she was all gung-ho on moving into a much smaller townhouse, where she wouldn't have to worry about maintenance issues. Now she's decided she wants to stay in her current home forever. I wonder why she changed her mind on that, and if that's influencing other boomers?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:04 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
depends on location .an aarp survey showed 400,000 baby boomers and millennials planned on leaving long island because they can't afford to retire here .

however the trend has been the baby boomer kids have tended to buy their parents homes and stay

Old 10-15-2017, 06:40 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
depends on location .an aarp survey showed 400,000 baby boomers and millennials planned on leaving long island because they can't afford to retire here .

however the trend has been the baby boomer kids have tended to buy their parents homes and stay
I feel like all of these "Baby Boomer Statistics" never take in to account that there is almost two decades of years encompassing BBers.
We are just turning 54 and haven't even bought our OWN forever home yet. Our grown kids have their own homes in cities all over. They have no desire to move where we end up and buy our home. They will stay/go where their careeers take them.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
all our kids also own homes or co-ops in the tristate area .

Old 10-15-2017, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I'm not tracking your arithmetic, maybe because you're using similar numbers to designate ages and decades. The first post-war year was 1946. That would make the oldest Boomer age 71. Most people don't buy before age 25 and in recent times, buying has been deferred. But if we add 25 to 1946, the OLDEST Boomer would have bought around 1971 or later, not in the 1960s. Mid-Boomers were buying in the 1980s and later, and late-Boomers might not have bought until the late 1980s or 1990s.

According to this source, the average age at the time of first home purchase is 32.

If you

I'm a Boomer, and my very young parents (married at 18) bought their first house in the early 60s. There seems to be an oddly common tendency to prematurely age Boomers.
Right - I've noticed that myself (bolded part).

I bought my first house at age 32, in 1994. I'm a Boomer by the way. I'm only 55 now and my Boomer husband and I probably have one more "upsizing" before we decide to "downsize" and even then, the "downsize" will probably be around 2000 square feet. We're hardly teetering around on canes or walkers - in fact, we're thinking of going ziplining in the Appalachians again next year.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
A few years ago she was all gung-ho on moving into a much smaller townhouse, where she wouldn't have to worry about maintenance issues. Now she's decided she wants to stay in her current home forever. I wonder why she changed her mind on that, and if that's influencing other boomers?
My guess: she just waited too long.

Most of us who are younger have a hard time grasping just how difficult it is (both physically and psychologically) for people in their mid-70s and up to move. And that was probably the case with your parents as well. When they were young enough to make such a move without too much difficulty, they thought "oh, I'll do that sometime later." Now that that "sometime" is here, they find the whole idea overwhelming.

My advice (which is worth what you paid for it): plan on moving to your "forever home" to age in place before you reach your mid-70s. Make the move while you still have your physical health and plenty of mental flexibility, lest you be trapped later in an unsuitable place.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:08 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/boom...ime-comes.html

I agree with the article in that as a millennial I care far less about owning a huge home than my parents did. A few hundred more square feet would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate