Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times

Advertisements

My gosh - the house from hell! I have actually seen some listings like that, though, and wondered who on earth they would get through the house besides a flipper or contractor.

I have seen wonderful advice on this thread and don't need to add to it, except to say that when the realtor does come with a prospect, get yourself, plus kids, plus pets, out of the house = and don't come back until they're gone. Period. With lots of kids and pet paraphanalia, there are bound to be enough distractions in the house without their actual presence, so don't be there for ANY showings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
I've bought at least two houses - maybe more - "as is". My daughter bought a very old house in new england...slanted floors, etc.

It's very obvious such a house is "as-is".

We recently bought (250K) a small ranch cottage in Florida - it was built in the 50's but a total flip (rehab) just done. We bought it "as-is".

It's quite normal these days in many areas. After all, the other option is that you warranty it...and that is certainly hard with a "used" house. The main thing is not to lie on disclosure forms.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Years ago Realty World would market their premier properties under the "Real Scope" brand... upscale high end homes.

The worst home I ever bought and my best buy was marketed in the office as "Real Scum" and the office won an award at the national conference using pictures of the home I bought... those were the days!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:57 AM

312 posts, read 354,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I'll just address the "as-is". I would not put it in my marketing, but I would put it in the seller disclosure. The market nowadays is such that there are 2 negotiations. The price you go into contract for. And then the second negotiation where the buyers attempt to get more out of you after the home inspection which always finds lots of "problems".

A way of reducing the damage in that second negotiation is to state unequivocally that the home is being sold in as-is condition. Of course, it's a lie, but it does adjust expectations and reduces the laundry list that you will be asked to address after the home inspection.

A simple but strong "as-is" clause can turn what would have been an $18,000 laundry list into a $7,000 laundry list that gets negotiated down to $3,000, the lawn mower, and the washer and dryer.

The buyers will be signing the seller disclosure. Place an "as-is" clause that stands out in that document. Consult your attorney for the proper language, but it should be strong and prominent.

It won't eliminate getting held up, but it will soften the blow significantly.
Thank you! Good advice.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 AM

312 posts, read 354,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Unless you are living with four kids and pets and cooking from home every day in a house that that looks something like this: Slideshow, you don't need to list it 'as-is'.

Listing photos are very important--it doesn't matter how clean it is on the day of a showing, if the listing photos show a mess everywhere. As the above listing shows....not many people are going to want to wade through a pigsty to look at a house. But if the photos look good, then people will be interested in seeing the place--and even if it isn't ****-n-span when they visit, the photos will have shown them what it could be.

Simple things like thinning out closets, hiding the dog bed and food bowls (and cat litter box), fluffing up the sofa cushions, clearing off the kitchen counters and taking everything off the refrigerator, clearing off the tops of dressers and side tables, artfully staging a stack of books--these are things that you can do just for the few minutes it takes to take photos, and will make the listing attractive and make people want to see it in person, even if it looks a little less perfect on the day of their visit.

You can rent a carpet cleaner at the grocery store or home store for very cheap. It will get rid of stains and smells and go a long ways toward offsetting the perceived downside of used carpet. If it still looks very bad, ask your agent about offering the buyer a credit to install their own--you don't have the hassle of installing carpet or having to keep it clean while you still live there, and the buyer will get exactly the kind of carpet they want.

Also, as per the American Association of Pediatrics, a 2-year-old should be able to put away toys, books, folded laundry, and carry their dishes to the kitchen. School age children should be able to sweep, vacuum, dust, clean mirrors, wash dishes, wipe down the bathroom sink, take out the trash, make their bed, and fold their own laundry. With four kids you have an ARMY of house cleaners to help you get ready for every showing. They are not a hindrance they are an asset for selling your house!
Useful tips--I can do this!! Thank you!

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
I STILL don't understand as-is contracts. One would think the buyer will be buying the house exactly as it is, period. In our case there was still a house inspection, there was still the opportunity for the buyer to say too much damage to fix, we go away. There was still opportunity for buyer to say you need to fix this and this and this... what happened to the As-Is?

Our house was completely repaired, fixed, mostly upgraded, etc. Buyers still griped about small patches of new sod we'd put in to fix bare spots, etc. Little stuff. A bit of calk missing on a spot, a tree limb needing pruned. As Is? Hah!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:39 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
If a house is listed "as is", is it reasonable to offer a lower price since there is work to be done? For example... I am planning on moving and buying in a yr or so and in just looking online at homes, with photos, I have seen houses in the area I am interested in but one in particular needs a semi gut of the kitchen and possibly the bathroom. This is being sold "as is" and I see the work it needs. Am I off base to think an offer for less is reasonable? Just asking for future ref. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
If a house is listed "as is", is it reasonable to offer a lower price since there is work to be done? For example... I am planning on moving and buying in a yr or so and in just looking online at homes, with photos, I have seen houses in the area I am interested in but one in particular needs a semi gut of the kitchen and possibly the bathroom. This is being sold "as is" and I see the work it needs. Am I off base to think an offer for less is reasonable? Just asking for future ref. Thanks.
I would think that the seller already considered the work that needs to be done when pricing the house and that offering an even lower price because of the needed repairs would be 'double dipping' on the repair costs.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I STILL don't understand as-is contracts. One would think the buyer will be buying the house exactly as it is, period. In our case there was still a house inspection, there was still the opportunity for the buyer to say too much damage to fix, we go away. There was still opportunity for buyer to say you need to fix this and this and this... what happened to the As-Is?

Our house was completely repaired, fixed, mostly upgraded, etc. Buyers still griped about small patches of new sod we'd put in to fix bare spots, etc. Little stuff. A bit of calk missing on a spot, a tree limb needing pruned. As Is? Hah!
When I signed the sales agreement for my mom's house, I put 'as is' into the agreement. The accepted price was either $60 k or $80 k under the appraisal. (I can not remember which.) I accepted the price, but was not giving anything else.

The buyer did inspections and the only thing we did was the required termite work, as stated in the contract. EVERYTHING else that the buyer found on the inspection I just replied to her whine with "as is" means as it is. Your inspection lets you make an informed decision about whether you wish to move forward with the purchase. I will NOT agree to anything in repairs...or reduced price, OR escrowed money for repairs, etc. Release the contingency or walk away.

She bought it. And she just wanted money, not really the repairs as she was gutting the house anyway. BUT she did push to see what else she could get.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, I absolutely hate when a place gets new, cheap carpet put in. Many people have no desire to have carpeting, particularly cheap carpeting that people put in to try to sell a place. The best option is just to try to professionally clean the carpet to make it look as nice as possible and then allow the buyer to put his or her flooring of choice in. Better to discount the price of the home accordingly if the carpet is not salvageable.

The best option is just to paint it and rent a small storage unit for any junk that is cluttering up the space. A place with lots of junk, rooms in 7 colors, and filthy, pet-smell carpet is going to turn buyers away. Walls in a nice, neutral color and clean carpets will go a long way. I feel like most of the homes in the area where I am now have the clutter + 7 colors + pet smell/dirty carpet going. I am talking some of them have actual track marks in the carpet and the pet toys in the pictures.
My house was sold by the previous owner's estate and her kids paid some day laborers to slap paint all over the walls and they ended up painting the electrical sockets which I eventually replaced myself. That was annoying.

They also installed apartment-grade carpet in about 70% of the house. I've ripped out or replaced over half of it in the last 8 years. I would rather they not have bothered to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate