Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:08 PM

32 posts, read 57,250 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input everyone.

For comps, there really is only one property that was sold in the last 6 months that is close to this house in terms of square footage etc. That house was sold for $482k. Most of the other houses in the area have been sold for lesser (unless the owner had recently upgraded the place).

My agent mentioned that the seller was insulted. I am not sure if he made that up or the seller really was insulted. IMO, the initial offer is not a final offer and I assumed that the seller knows that. It's a way to get started with the negotiating process. Outright decline of the offer without a counter isn't something we were expecting especially given that the seller has no other offers on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Decide how much you want this home and offer accordingly to how much you really want it. It sounds like you are in strong sellers market where low-balling won't get you anywhere.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
From a seller's perspective: Serious buyers make strong offers to show they mean business. Bargain hunters throw out super low offers and can be expected to make the process a nightmare as they attempt to nickel and dime the seller for every perceived fault in the inspection.

Decide which you are and play accordingly.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:55 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
My house was listed at $500k and my first offer was $375. I actually laughed and didn't respond

Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 PM

120 posts, read 236,720 times
If I were the seller in this circumstance I would not be insulted but would assume you were a bargain hunter fishing for a desperate seller. I would not consider your initial offer a legitimate offer and would not counter. I would instruct the realtor to tell you "If you're really interested send me a legitimate offer and I'll think about it."

Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Did you make an offer to buy a house or to start a negotiation?

You have your answer.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:32 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
We offered 10% below asking, paying cash, and got a flat no, demanding full price. We said no, thanks.

A few days later, the stock market dipped drastically, and the sellers came back with an offer of 2% below. We walked because a) we were offended they didn't come back with a reasonable discount right away, and b) we toured the house again and decided we didn't like it that much after all.

Months later, I ran into the seller. She didn't know I was the one who had offered, but recognized me from their open house. She went into a long tirade about how hard it is to sell a house, and you really need a cash buyer. Huh?

Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Why not just put in a serious offer and stop playing games? Of course they didn't counter your offer because it was a ridiculous offer. What's your next step? Haven't you spoken to your realtor about what your options are? If you really want the house, put in a real offer.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:56 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Everyone seems to want a bargain, and that is understandable. The less experienced buyers look at the asking price, which has probably already been established to be a fair price by the listing agent and seller, and they automatically offer a certain percentage less. That is regardless of the actual value of the place. They think "12% less than asking? That means 12% instant equity!". Hooray!

The experienced buyers look at the asking price and compare it to the value of the property--the value today and the value tomorrow. They consider how close the asking price is to the value. Is it close? What will it be worth a year from now? Five years from now? How many properties just like this one are available now or within the next few months? One? How much do I want this one? Enough to pay an extra 5% now in the anticipation that such nice places are becoming fewer or more expensive? Enough to pay the fair valuation? What would I ask for the property were it mine to sell? Mine. Somehow that adds another few per cent in value every time.

If you really like this place, make your offer based on issues like inspections and timing of the sale rather than the price. Either you can afford it or you can't. In a rising market you will make back a few per cent of the price in a year or two. In a falling market you can always wait and buy next year, unless you need or want a new place right now. But automatically offering less than asking by a magic percentage is a time waster and shows a certain amount of inexperience. IMHO.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
When we sold our various houses we had some of those low offers. We weren't offended; it was really the agents time they were wasting, not ours.
OTOH, we never ignored an offer. We always responded with a lower price that was something we would accept.
Whatever we countered with was close to what we expected to get, or maybe a little less each time to placate certain personality types.

Some people seem to think negotiating means I name a price, they name a price, and then we go back and forth to meet in the middle so it results in meeting halfway or something like that. That's not how it is going to work. I know what I'm selling and what a fair price is, so the offer has to be in the ballpark to get accepted.

The thing is, you have no way to know if you're dealing with someone like me who thinks they have a fair price and doesn't care what you want to spend or what games you like to play.
Or perhaps you may be dealing with someone who really does want to haggle. Do you think their no-answer of no counter offer sounds like a haggler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate