Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
From a seller's perspective: Serious buyers make strong offers to show they mean business. Bargain hunters throw out super low offers and can be expected to make the process a nightmare as they attempt to nickel and dime the seller for every perceived fault in the inspection.

Decide which you are and play accordingly.
Her offer was 12% below list. Not unreasonable for an initial offer, if the house is worth $500k. It's possible the list is over market, too. Don't know enough about the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 01:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 940,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Her offer was 12% below list. Not unreasonable for an initial offer, if the house is worth $500k. It's possible the list is over market, too. Don't know enough about the house.
Of course we have to make some assumptions, but it doesn't change my answer, and maybe some sellers are happy with -12% but obviously some are insulted.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
If my house was for sale for $500K and I was offered $440K I would be annoyed and probably not wish to entertain other offers. I would feel like the buyer was: (1) Unable to pay $500K (2) Was not really interested, just playing a game or (3) Was just plain cheap.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:37 AM

32 posts, read 57,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Not to mention that they increased the listing price by 30k after the upgrades. IMO, the upgrades couldn't have cost them more than 15-20k.

My guess is that the seller has that one comparable stuck in his head that was sold for 96% of asking.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig77 View Post
Not to mention that they increased the listing price by 30k after the upgrades. IMO, the upgrades couldn't have cost them more than 15-20k.

My guess is that the seller has that one comparable stuck in his head that was sold for 96% of asking.
Doesn't matter what the upgrades cost him. It matters how much value they add.

Here is what I learned while house hunting. Sellers don't care. Once they get their heads stuck on a price it takes forever for them to understand they are overpriced (if they are overpriced)

The problem as I see it op stated there were few houses for sale in that area. Either it's that great a area that nobody moves or this house isn't liked by buyers and it's overpriced. Sometimes it takes months to sell a house. It's not unheard of. The sellers did do a 5% drop but that was it.

Imo starting at 12% lower price was the wrong tactic with this seller. For most sellers a home sale is emotional. Unfortunately I'm not buying your emotions and memories. I'm buying a pile of sticks wire and drywall.
What I would of done was lookedcat it once. Called to look at it again and then convey to the seller that I would love to be on it but it's too high. Good luck with the sale. Then don't do anything. If the seller has no other bites most will contact you to see if you wanna play.
If they don't it's no loss. You simply wait or keep looking

Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig77 View Post

When we sold my mother's place following her death, we asked the realtor about upgrading the kitchen which was the original 1960s one.

His advice was not to do it because 1) it would not alter the fundamental value of the property and 2) many buyers want their own kitchen and not yours.

We had already upgraded the bathroom to make life easier for my mother (who was in her mid 80s at the time). The buyer had plans to rip that out as part of his overall remodel of the place.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If my house was for sale for $500K and I was offered $440K I would be annoyed and probably not wish to entertain other offers. I would feel like the buyer was: (1) Unable to pay $500K (2) Was not really interested, just playing a game or (3) Was just plain cheap.
Or 4) Maybe my house is overpriced.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Same here. And we have experienced all three.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
We did the same thing, ignored a low ball offer. Only the low ball offer was $400,000 lower than the current appraisal we had for the property.
They came back with a full price offer. We told the agent we decided to move into the house. Lived there 5 years, and my appreciation was in the 7 figures.

When it came time to sell I hired that agent who gave me the low ball. Why, cause she knew us and would tell any clown that tried that again to not. Sold it for full listing and the buyer paid most of the expenses normally paid by seller. WIN! It was a hot sellers market.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM

494 posts, read 501,403 times
If you really want the house, then step up your offer. If I were the seller, that's exactly what I would've done. If the house is worth what they're asking and you love it, well, go in strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate