Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM

133 posts, read 494,083 times

Advertisements

When looking at a house, I saw the house I lived in about 4x.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elledee75 View Post
Would I be out of line to refuse more showings to a particular (potential) buyer? The agent isn't even a question, she's NOT coming back!

I should probably mention that mine is a higher-end home in a rather affluent neighbourhood.

A couple from out of town viewed my home for the 4th time today. Seems odd to me anyway, what could possibly be different from the last three times they've seen the house? Apparently (as per the buyer's agent), they are in a financial position that they do not need to sell their home to buy. They booked the showing from 2:30 until 3:00. Typically, my RE agent books the house for a full hour, but together with the buyer's agent, decided that for the 4th showing, they really shouldn't need more than 30 minutes. With the exception of today's showing, previously they have given me less than twenty minutes notice that they wanted to come see the house.

Finally at 3:45, after driving around the block several times, I decided I had enough, my bladder couldn't hold anymore, I needed to use the bathroom & it was my house after all. I drove around the corner & see the buyers agent pass me, leaving.

"Great! No harm, no foul!" right?

Noooooo, their car is still in my driveway. Whatever. I had to pee! So, open goes the garage, I drive in. Get out my keys to unlock the door to the house. The door is unlocked. I look over to the exit door at the side of the garage. It's unlocked. I run into the house & use the bathroom.

At this point, I'm wondering, "Where are they? I proceed through the house, turning off the lights left on and wonder why is their car still in my driveway?" I see a flash from the corner of my eye & it's the woman running across my front lawn to her car.

Instinct told me to check the back door. It's unlocked!

As far as I can tell, nothing's missing. But then, I really wouldn't really know until I'm looking for it. I've spoken to my realtor & needless to say, he is MAD!

But I don't know what to think of this. Who really needs to see a house 4 times to tell whether they're going to put in an offer? Were the unlocked doors simply an oversight by the realtor? Or is that giving her too much benefit of the doubt? Why would the realtor leave with them still on the property? I can't possibly be sure if she left them in the house, alone, or at least with access to the house. Or were the potential buyers sneaky & leave a door unlocked & came back to the house after the agent had left?

I have no way of knowing!

I am both mad & freaked right out!

What's your opinion on this? Am I being paranoid?

I should probably also add, that these people asked my agent how often we are getting showings, in other words, how often is the alarm left off?.....

UGH, maybe I AM being paranoid!
I would refuse to show the property out again without verification of funds or proof they can arrange financing. For higher priced homes that not a rare requirement.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
There's just one thing bothering me in this thread - a side issue of the discussion to be sure, but still....the idea that "higher end buyers" can and should see a home multiple times, and that's considered normal, but the implication being, should a lower- or medium-end buyer ask to see a house multiple times, that's not as normal.

Why? Does a million dollars mean more to a wealthy person than a couple hundred thousand dollars does to a less wealthy person? I think everyone is entitled to be respected for being cautious with their money.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
There's just one thing bothering me in this thread - a side issue of the discussion to be sure, but still....the idea that "higher end buyers" can and should see a home multiple times, and that's considered normal, but the implication being, should a lower- or medium-end buyer ask to see a house multiple times, that's not as normal.

Why? Does a million dollars mean more to a wealthy person than a couple hundred thousand dollars does to a less wealthy person? I think everyone is entitled to be respected for being cautious with their money.
I'd see a home more than once no matter what price range. The reason being that most higher end homes are seen multiple times by the prospective buyer has more to do w/ features that that home may come w/ that a lower end home does not. These buyers also have more disposable income and may be the type of person that as soon as they close on the property they have their designer lined up to start in w/ the house. They may ask to bring the designer by to see the house to get measurements, check out the floorplan and flow of the house, etc so that they can get to work right away getting the right pieces. It doesn't have anything or anyone being disrespected because they are buying a home in a lower price point but more with the actual home itself and all of the things that come w/ a home in that higher price range.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Not exactly the same situation but a creepy one. When we had our house listed our realtor always called if someone wanted a showing, either on my cell or home phone.

One morning we went out, had stopped and bought something perishable and wanted to get it refrigerated before going out to lunch.

Got to our house there's a car in the driveway. DH figured a showing and quickly ran in and put food in refrig and left. When we got home-no realtor card on counter so I called our broker and asked who scheduled. He said nobody called to schedule. Turns out it was a realtor who lived in our neighborhood who took it upon herself to let herself in and to top it off scheduled later for an evening appt. She came with a young girl, ran thru the house and left. Turns out this agent wanted the house for herself, made a lowball offer, I laughed in her face and proceeded to call her broker and the local bd of Realtors with a complaint.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
I'd call the buyer's agent's broker and raise hell, then send a letter via certified mail to the state licensing board with a cc to the broker.

Unless that buyer's agent was actually being carjacked, there's no excuse for her leaving those people in your house and your house unsecured. Zero. She needs to be appropriately disciplined because she's a danger to the public and a shame to the profession.

If those people want to see the house again, tell them they need to have an offer on the table complete with proof of funds and a large earnest money check delivered to your agent first.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:50 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,804 times
Wow something definitely not right about that deal....if anyone comes to look again I would definitely stay home, at least out on the patio..I personally have sat in the garage with my dogs...why was the woman running? Strange...you definitely need to speak with your agent pronto, i think you are ok to ask for verification of funds next time they want to look....i know that some agents won't even take people out looking at high end homes unless they know the money's there.

Let us know what happens..that would truly tick me off....like i said something not quite right..

Old 03-15-2008, 03:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----leaving buyers at a property alone could cost an agent their license !!!

nsummer nailed it.
Not only would I not alow that buyer back for another look, I would not allow that realtor into my house again and would call their boss.

The market may be slow, but no seller should put up with this to sell their house !
Who was this running woman? Was it the potential buyer and why was she not accompanied by her agent? If it was the agent, where were her buyers? And why oh why did she run, let alone leave everything unlocked? Something is so not right with this situation.

I have no idea the laws or protocol in B.C. On common sense alone, I would get the listing agent, his/her broker, the buyer's agent and his/her broker in the same room immediately and find out what's going on.

4 showings, especially in this market, are not uncommon. It's the least of the issues.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Turns out it was a realtor who lived in our neighborhood who took it upon herself to let herself in and to top it off scheduled later for an evening appt. She came with a young girl, ran thru the house and left. Turns out this agent wanted the house for herself, made a lowball offer, I laughed in her face and proceeded to call her broker and the local bd of Realtors with a complaint.
Good for you.

Sellers should also consider calling the Police when this happens.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,288 times
That is unbelievable! I would contact the broker and also report the agent to the Realtor board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate