Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM

31 posts, read 37,324 times

Advertisements

I am trying to work with some local pool companies.
It is located in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
I would be concerned if you don't clean it that the pool water could stain the plaster. I would not drain it though.
Pools have been known to pop out of the ground in the winter/ rainy season.
any staining has already happened....you can always acid wash the finish to make it nicer looking next spring

Old 09-29-2017, 03:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I would contact a local pool company. You need to get on their schedule to have it closed for the year! You don't just leave it open. Depending on the height of the water, they will drain some to give it expansion room for freezing. They'll cover it as well. Don't drain it! It's going to cost you some money, but if you don't know what you're doing, this is really the best route. They'll also open in the spring and shock it. Then it's up to you to maintain.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM

working with local companies for the pool, they said they can drain and replace the liner, only fear is if there is any damage underground with the pipes, then it will become a super expensive job.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM

7,427 posts, read 4,672,937 times
I love pools but it's just high maintenance. Good luck OP. I'm sure when your family is having fun in the pool next Spring, it's all worth it. Me I'm ok with the community pool which I also pay for maintenance via HOA.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:38 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Don't remove the trees. You'll make things look even worse since the house is boxy. I cant' offer advice re: pools in cold climates as I live in Texas and our pool is filled year round, but I will say this. For resale purposes, definitely shell out the dough for good landscaping. That flat, nondescript lot looks so unappealing with an oblong hole in the ground (aka pool). If one is going to have a pool, a certain ambiance has to go along with it. Shrubbery, beds, trees. Do it in phases to save money.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Trees next to house side are source of insects and termites and I believe the roots are also hitting the foundation.
The other tree which is next to pool is a pine tree, it may also go considering amount of debris it generates for the pool. Though i would like to retain that ..!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
It's good that you've contacted a local pool place. Don't get the new liner until next spring when you know if the pipes need replacing. I'm guessing you've not run the filter this year, but ask the pool company to try to drain the pipes and prep the filter for winter. It might work, might not. In addition to the cover, the pipes get drained before winter. You won't really be able to get rid of the algae without running the filter.

Next spring start from scratch by draining it, replacing whatever needs replaced.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Why would you say to get new liner next spring?

The is to inspect the current equipment and do a pressure test to check for leaks.
Hopefully nothing big like underground pipe issues come up.
Then drain the existing pool, replace the liner, replace any bad equipment/parts.
winterize the pool
open the pool next spring as done for any other pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate