Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

I think that might be more off-putting than desireable
Many realtors I have spent any time with say the mistake most buyers make is to complain about how a home is furnished and take issue with that vs the aspects that won't be moving (normally) with the sellers...

I can't think of any house--maybe one-- I have seen when we were house hunting where I would have wanted to buy the furniture...
Although I know in FL where we do have second home that homes are often sold w/furnishings because they come after the owners have died or moved into assisted living and the sellers (usually heirs) don't want to hassle w/furniture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:48 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
We are currently deep in the de-junkification process, and are trying to decide how much to leave.

We actually have purchased new bathroom towels and rugs to stage the house; they'll stay.

But if you find "used" towels and sheets disgusting, how do you ever stay in hotels?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:39 AM

142 posts, read 294,082 times
I have done this and left window treatments (curtains, shades, blinds), all basic furniture, remnants of building materials (tiles, fencing, etc.), shower curtains (after breaking their butts moving in they'll appreciate taking a shower afterwards and appreciate you more for leaving your shower curtain behind). I always ask the potential buyer if they wanted to purchase the yard equipment (riding mower, snow blower, etc.), if not, I just sold that and had no problem doing so. I gave away unopened food items to the local food pantry, and had a giant yard sale to sell other furniture, bric-a-brac, artwork, linens, small appliances, etc. When I did this with my mother's house after her passing, we made a small fortune doing so. Over 4,000 dollars. Whatever you do, don't leave a lot of your personal effects about because people have to envision themselves in your house and they can't do that if your stuff is all over the place.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:53 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We're moving long distance and have decided to sell the house furnished.
The property is 3 acres, has a detached garage, greenhouse, shed, and tarpport for the riding lawnmower, garden supplies, and good lumber. Gardens include decorative plants and fruit trees.

Before we put the house on the market, we'll take out items we intend to keep, sell, or give to friends, so potential buyers will see only what comes with the house.

That said, what is OK to leave with the house?

furniture, drapes, rugs in all rooms, of course. Dishes, cookware, utensils, check. Local-related books, beach gear, garden tools. Bedding for both beds, bath towels, yada yada. "]no[

But what about a holiday decorations? Leave or remove? no they may not share your faith
Unopened cans and food packages? Yecch
hardware, screws, hinges and such? No
unused lumber, fencing? no.
power tools? No

I guess what I'm asking is what would YOU expect to see in a furnished house, and what would be a negative if it was included?

We understand a buyer can't get a bigger loan for a furnished house, but we think it will sell faster in this area of snowbirds and people who arrive with nothing.
Your listing may say furnished but a new buyer may not want the things you left and then you will need to remove them if they are condition of sale. It would be for me. Now something like a riding mower, would be of interest if the price were right, for example. Think of it this way, you would rather move it now and get rid of it than risk a buyer having you ask to remove it as a condition of sale, because then you may have to arrange for a dumpster again or a junk hauler again.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
We are currently deep in the de-junkification process, and are trying to decide how much to leave.

We actually have purchased new bathroom towels and rugs to stage the house; they'll stay.

But if you find "used" towels and sheets disgusting, how do you ever stay in hotels?
Try not to think about it! I've had them both changed in hotels. I'm also not using them every day.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:46 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
I'm getting a big laugh out of those that say no towels, bedding, unopened food cans, etc. (I especially like the no bedding or towels... er, ah... well, unless it's very high quality.) LOL!

You must NEVER visit anyone's house over night.

Do you show up for an overnight stay with your own food, towels and bed linens?

I can hear it now,

"Oh my, thanks for being so gracious as to allow us to stay at your home overnight.... but, ah, you have yukky stuff, so we brought our own food, bedding and towels, and do you mind if we back this truck in your driveway, it will deliver and install new hardwood floors for the entry foyer, guest bedroom and guest bath. We really don't want to step on yours, no telling how you've cleaned it all these years."

Take those "YUUKKKS" back where they came from...... your internet personality. Get real!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Give food to your local food bank.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I'm getting a big laugh out of those that say no towels, bedding, unopened food cans, etc. (I especially like the no bedding or towels... er, ah... well, unless it's very high quality.) LOL!

You must NEVER visit anyone's house over night.

Do you show up for an overnight stay with your own food, towels and bed linens?

I can hear it now,

"Oh my, thanks for being so gracious as to allow us to stay at your home overnight.... but, ah, you have yukky stuff, so we brought our own food, bedding and towels, and do you mind if we back this truck in your driveway, it will deliver and install new hardwood floors for the entry foyer, guest bedroom and guest bath. We really don't want to step on yours, no telling how you've cleaned it all these years."

Take those "YUUKKKS" back where they came from...... your internet personality. Get real!
Actually, we rent a lot of cabins for vacations and we always have to bring our own bedding, towels, food, cookware, etc.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
Quote:
It's not an issue sleeping on something that has been completely disinfected, and the previous user was some faceless anonymous person in another room, and only for a few months (hotels wash at much higher temperatures and always use bleach, so the linens wear out very quickly and have to be replaced every few months).

It's different when you are talking about someone basically moving into your life--sleeping in your bed, on your sheets, eating your food off of your dishes, with your decor and tchotchkes all around them. That's weird.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It's common in Hawaii to sell a house furnished. Shipping a house full of goods from the mainland costs too much money and many people prefer to buy furnished and not ship their old furniture. Maybe they won't keep OP's furniture forever, but they will use it while they get settled in and replace it gradually, if they decide to replace it.

OP, as your listing agent what you should leave for the new buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate