Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Considering all the things that can go wrong with washers, the last thing I'd want is my washer (and H2O) heater, on the same level floor of my home. In new construction, make a separate laundry/utility room on the main floor or basement, with that floor dropped a few inches with a drain in the floor.

On the subject of new construction, it totally escapes me why bidets are not included in bathrooms.
Right? I grew up in Europe and am still puzzled.

We may not have top sheets (duvets in most places) or dryers, but we had a bidet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I would not want a laundry room in my bedroom closet. Granted, in all my years of owning washing machines, I've yet to have one leak (knock on wood), but the minute I had a set up like that, that's *exactly* what would happen. I'd rather the laundry room either 1.) Be in the basement, or 2.) On the main floor, off to itself a ways, so if there's a problem, it's somewhat contained.

Plus, I don't see the convenience of it. I usually have somebody living with me (right now, my sister), or people over for a few days who might need to toss a few items in. Having the laundry room in my closet would mean people going in and out of my room just to wash clothes.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:52 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
I did it in the home I built for myself. I saw it in several homes and loved it. We have two master closets - the "her" closet which is really another room with an island/packing station (14x10) and then my closet which is 10 x 10 and has a washer dryer stack nestled in the corner next to a built in dresser.

We have a full size laundry room downstairs as well...but I am yet to actually install a washer/dryer into my closet...newer home, we went over-budget on the house, and I am still dealing with catching up on all the other stuff we actually need before I add the second washer/dryer.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My laundry room is just outside my master bedroom (2nd floor, where both of the other bedrooms are as well). That is the perfect location IMO.

I would not want a washer and dryer IN the closet - too much lint and dust getting on my clean clothes hanging in the closet. I have to clean the grill on the exhaust fan in the laundry room 3 or 4 times as often as the other fans in the house. I do not want that on my clean clothes!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM

94 posts, read 87,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Right? I grew up in Europe and am still puzzled.

We may not have top sheets (duvets in most places) or dryers, but we had a bidet.
I have a bidet in my current home. Hubby installed it when we updated the bathroom. We will miss her in the new place, but will either install one or if lack of space prevails, use the hand held sprayer. We did that in previous homes. It is a good second runner up if you can't install a bidet.

Seems odd to me that they never caught on here in the US.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
We did a major condo remodel a few years ago and decided to add a doorway between the master bath/closet and the laundry room (which, of course, also had another door to the hallway ... One certainly wouldn't want other guests and family members trapsing in/out of one's closet to get to the laundry/utility room!).

We loved it! - It sure beats having dirty laundry and towels in two places. It also made it easier/quicker to get from the hallway/front door to the bath/Mbdrm.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We're working up a set of plans for building a house and having the laundry room really close to the main bedroom has been an important design feature. Probably also make the laundry room floor waterproof and add a drain to it as well. Same as the kitchen floor.

Not directly in the closet, but possibly sharing a wall so laundry can be pushed through a laundry chute. Hmm, maybe a bit of revolving wall with a basket on one side and shelves on the other? Put the dirty laundry in the basket, spin the wall, wash it and then put the folded clothes on the shelves and spin them back into the closet? Or maybe a door between the closet and laundry or a short hallway accessing all the areas?

In any case, washing machines need to be next to the dirty laundry sources. At a minimum, on the same level at least. The 'new' house we moved into (circa 1952) had the laundry area under the house (this is Hawaii, we put a lot of things under houses) and it did have a nice laundry room with an area for ironing, but all the laundry had to be carried out of the house and down the steps and then in reverse when washed, ironed and folded. The laundry area is still outside, but now it's at the back of the house which is at least at grade. Laundry is enough of a chore to make it more difficult than it has to be.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
I’ve never seen it, but I’m not in the market range that has closets this big!

I have seen homes with two laundry areas, one main one downstairs and one smaller one upstairs. I have a two story home, but only two kids who are both perfectly capable of carrying a little laundry down the stairs. I can see the second laundry room being useful if you have a ton of kids or have more than two stories though.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:30 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Even with good ventilation the heat from hot water and drying wet clothes lead to humidity. The smaller the space the more humid it would be. So...if the closet has good ventilation and especially a cold air retire maybe. Maybe great in an arid environment like the southwest. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd be happy about it. In the one house I built I had a very small walkin closet. They didn't put in a cold air return. It got a little smelly and I quit keeping shoes in there. And if a pipe ever bursts, well it isnt like mopping the basement floor. I would make sure to have wall shut off valves and anything else possible to forgo that possibility.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:30 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I’ve never seen it, but I’m not in the market range that has closets this big!

I have seen homes with two laundry areas, one main one downstairs and one smaller one upstairs. I have a two story home, but only two kids who are both perfectly capable of carrying a little laundry down the stairs. I can see the second laundry room being useful if you have a ton of kids or have more than two stories though.
I'm guessing you have a main floor master? Most two stories houses don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate