Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yeah, so in that case other arrangements get made. That happens by all the parties in the matter being on the same page and having an understanding and an agreement. There is no reason to believe that among this small group of friends and family that any possible problems could not be dealt with reasonably and responsibly. The problem here is that one party, having been consulted prior to a decision being made, is now second-guessing that decision. But not as much as some commenting here.
Oh if only it were that simple! Getting all parties on the same page is frequently a lengthy process that's far from simple. Yeah friends and family never have falling outs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh if only it were that simple! Getting all parties on the same page is frequently a lengthy process that's far from simple. Yeah friends and family never have falling outs.
I have a lot of trust in my family and friends. I'd rather die young (too late now) than live every day trying to avoid the possibility of any conceivable doomsday event.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
I have a lot of trust in my family and friends. I'd rather die young (too late now) than live every day trying to avoid the possibility of any conceivable doomsday event.
The people wanting to use the house aren't even friends of the OP's. I've had to evict many friends and families. A total nightmare for all involved.

Once you've worked in property management or real estate, you see another side.......one filled with absolute horrors. People will destroy property. People will hold property hostage. People have vendettas. It can get insane!

The shortest eviction I dealt with took 6.5 months. The longest was over a year. Most were about 9 months. Fun times!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Not that my wife would EVER do this, but if she did, I'd simply call the daughter and say, "Hell to the no."

And leave it at that.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM

768 posts, read 718,103 times
Quote:
Wow! Just. Plain. Wow.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

This poster has great expectations of disaster and a very poor understanding of the situation and has even decided to call a man she knows nothing at all about a name that the censors won't allow. Wow!

I don't know if this is because she herself would cause problems for others or has been on the receiving end of such treatment but nothing from the OP rises anywhere close to supporting such a level of vehemence. She is also questioning the financial conditions and employment status of the people borrowing the house and even the loyalty of the daughter to her parents!

She almost demands the OP send letters to all the concerned parties and virtually guarantees that simply allowing friends of the family to use a house for a few weeks will cause World War III. Wow!

Get off my lawn!

Apparently I didn’t make it clear, even though I did state it, the beginning of my post was a worst case scenario possibility. The OP stated she did not like the man who was about to move into her house. In my worst case scenario, I suggested the man was a con man. That CD chose to portray that as a swear word is their decision. Anything I said in that scenario could be true. The OP obviously doesn’t want this family who are not friends of hers living in her house. And guess what? She doesn’t have to. By pointing out to her how bad this could become, I hoped to encourage her to stand up for herself.

That you took this so negatively is a reflection on you.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Apparently I didn’t make it clear, even though I did state it, the beginning of my post was a worst case scenario possibility. The OP stated she did not like the man who was about to move into her house. In my worst case scenario, I suggested the man was a con man. That CD chose to portray that as a swear word is their decision. Anything I said in that scenario could be true. The OP obviously doesn’t want this family who are not friends of hers living in her house. And guess what? She doesn’t have to. By pointing out to her how bad this could become, I hoped to encourage her to stand up for herself.

That you took this so negatively is a reflection on you.
I took it the way it was written.

I have also taken the OP's words as they were written, if there is a problem it is one of communication within her family but she does not seem as fearful of potential consequences as many here, including you. It is her husband's house too and after discussing it with her he gave the okay for a short term use of the house which was communicated to the people in need of a temporary place to stay. Sounds like a done deal to me. If the OP had misgivings the time to have expressed them was before the couple was told it would be okay.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 AM

768 posts, read 718,103 times
[quote=kokonutty;49773303]Wow! Just. Plain. Wow.

Quote:
I took it the way it was written.

I have also taken the OP's words as they were written, if there is a problem it is one of communication within her family but she does not seem as fearful of potential consequences as many here, including you. It is her husband's house too and after discussing it with her he gave the okay for a short term use of the house which was communicated to the people in need of a temporary place to stay. Sounds like a done deal to me. If the OP had misgivings the time to have expressed them was before the couple was told it would be okay.

You took it the way you perceived it was written. Did you not see the part where I clearly stated that was probably not the case?

You continue to state the parents discussed it but that’s not what the OP stated. The OP did state the daughter told her friends they could stay longer if they needed time to paint the new house without getting her parents ok.

How did you calculate the friends would be in the OP’s house 3 weeks? I didn’t see anything about when the new house would close. I’m beginning to wonder if you’re the daughter? Or somehow involved?

In any event, I hope things will go smoothly & the OP will move into her Florida home with her husband & everything will be just fine.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 AM

[quote=NoNansea;49775377]
Quote:
Wow! Just. Plain. Wow.

You took it the way you perceived it was written. Did you not see the part where I clearly stated that was probably not the case?

You continue to state the parents discussed it but that’s not what the OP stated. The OP did state the daughter told her friends they could stay longer if they needed time to paint the new house without getting her parents ok.

How did you calculate the friends would be in the OP’s house 3 weeks? I didn’t see anything about when the new house would close. I’m beginning to wonder if you’re the daughter? Or somehow involved?

In any event, I hope things will go smoothly & the OP will move into her Florida home with her husband & everything will be just fine.
Yeah, I saw that in the middle of what you wrote both preceded and followed by venom making it extremely unclear as to what you were trying to get at. If it was "probably not the case", why even go there, dramatic effect?

If you reread the OP for content and follow that up with post #28, I believe most, if not all, of your questions will be answered. Your wondering if I'm the daughter or otherwise involved would be laughable if not so ridiculous.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am a landlord. When I invite friends to stay at my house but write: "Guys, you need to clean it when you leave and be gone by 10/15.......". That's not a lease.
Wow you completely changed what you actually said.

You said:

Quote:
Simply getting the friend to pay the utilities and promise in writing to obey certain rules and leave the place clean is adequate
Now you said YOU writing a little note is sufficient???

So yeah, what you originally said to me is called a LEASE. And if you believe that the "friends" (they're not HER friends)...are so trustworthy, you wouldn't be asking for a WRITTEN PROMISE.

And, in fact, in Florida Landlord Tenant Law, there are conditions where VERBAL statements are also considered contracts/leases.

Which supports my post you disagreed with that the OP needs to consult a lawyer before letting ANYONE move into her empty home.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
You have this wrong. Read the OP again and you'll find that the daughter and husband did not "cook this up together." She knew there was a possibility before hand and she did discuss it with her husband although she now chooses to claim he did not "really" discuss it with her. She was not "completely intentionally left...out of the picture."

They have allowed other people to use the house in the past and there is no indication all the legal contortions you are stressing were needed, why should it be different now? Certainly I'm sure you're aware that many seasonal residents allow and even encourage family and friends to use houses that would otherwise be vacant. Do you know of any who institute contracts for such casual agreements?
I don't have it wrong. Don't know where you came up with that.

She said:

.......she has friends who have wanted to sell their house for several years but because of its location and what they paid that has been difficult to do

Quote:
She called several weeks ago and said they might have found a buyer and wanted to know if they/the friends could stay at OUR FL house if they were to close so they had time to find/move into a house themselves
My husband said yes--without really discussing it with me---making me the bad guy if I tried to back out

Quote:
My husband said yes w/o really taking time for us to discuss it--
Now if you want to call her a liar or blame the woman for not going BALLISTIC when the husband said YES ON HIS OWN, then fine. But let's not change what actually happened just to beat up on the wife (further).

She OBVIOUSLY isn't the type to fight her family when they're being obnoxious and disregard her opinions and feelings.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-10-2017 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate