Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times

Advertisements

This one has bad ending written all over it. Ever hear the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" ?

Sometimes you have to simply say NO, and mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This one has bad ending written all over it. Ever hear the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" ?

Sometimes you have to simply say NO, and mean it.
I was thinking the same thing. If your daughter is such good friends with them then she should have invited them to live at her house. She certainly should not have offered to give them something (your house) that she does not own. Sheesh.

I have had a number of friends whose housing plans did not work out and suddenly instead of needing a place to stay for three weeks ended up needing a place for two or three months. What will you do if they refuse to move out?

Old 10-07-2017, 01:48 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
Just say no. Who cares who gets mad.

Tell your daughter your husband didn't think it through and after talking about it you realize it puts you in a de facto land lord situation where should anything go wrong your insurance wouldn't pay up.

Your daughters friends have a lot of nerve accepting such an offer imo. If they are old enough to have two children and selling/buying houses, they should be old enough to figure out a temporary rental in a month to month apartment or extended stay facility.

I would make the call tonight and be done with it. Actually, I would make my husband's life unbearable until he manned up and made the call lol, but that's up to you.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,582,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Totally agree. They need a security deposit and a lease agreement.
Yikes. Careful with this advice and frankly I think it's irresponsible for a licensed RE professional in another state to be just advising you to do a lease agreement in this situation with no understanding of what that might mean to you, no idea of the risks that it poses and very little understanding of your specific situation. And without even mention that this can introduce range of complexities that can create major legal problems if not addressed diligently. Professionals do not recklessly give advice like this. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh and I know you're just trying to help but think of the advice that you give as a RE professional and the harm that it might do to a consumer.

As others have said, your mortgage, insurance, HOA, and many other things may be become big problems if you formalize this into a rental agreement without covering all the bases. What if the place burns down, the "tenants" die and you did not abide by all of the fire safety requirements for a rental unit. Manslaughter charges? And your homeowners insurance telling you "sorry, your insurance only covers the house as owner-occupied". Formal eviction processes if they don't leave?

I would not think of doing this unless it can be done reasonably safely as a "house guest" basis. A lot of it depends on the OP's level of trust which is clearly not so great. I'm just a lay man so take this for what it is but I know enough not to just tell you to do a lease agreement without thinking of the possible repercussions of it all. From reading the OP, it's pretty clear that going through the whole process of becoming a 'legal' landlord would be a non-starter.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Look at it this way...being a nice person and offering someone a place to stay doesn't exempt you from the legal complexities that could potentially be imposed on you. What if they have a problem that delays them from moving indefinitely? Who is responsible for fixing a clogged toilet or if there is a leak? What if there's a trip and fall? What if the cat scratches the furniture or shreds the drapes? The possibilities are endless.
Yup. I do work in insurance and see this all.the.time. Most recently our insured lent his "down on his luck" acquaintance....not even a good friend....his car (because his was out of commission) and the guy, of course, had an at fault accident. Our insured was shocked to discover that HIS insurance had to cover the loss - not his acquaintance's. So not only was his car damaged but he was going to be surcharged because of the amount of damage to the other car. He's lucky no one was hurt or killed. People love to look at the "what ifs" and say "that will never happen"...I've been handling insurance claims for 25 years and have yet to meet the person who knew that disaster was about to strike.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,660,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have two homes--one in TX where we are now and planned to stay until November when we would go to house in FL
Our daughter lives next door to our FL house
She has friends who have wanted to sell their house for several years but because of its location and what they paid that has been difficult to do
She called several weeks ago and said they might have found a buyer and wanted to know if they/the friends could stay at OUR FL house if they were to close so they had time to find/move into a house themselves
My husband said yes--without really discussing it with me---making me the bad guy if I tried to back out

Well the deal is going through--they apparently will close on their house and have found a house to buy
Our daughter called yesterday to say they would probably move into OUR house this next weekend and have their stuff in storage until early November after they close on new house
She even offered to let them stay longer if they needed to paint or something in the new house--without checking with us...

I am getting a little ticked off-
This couple that we have known for several years--as friends of our daughter/SIL--are not really friends of OURS....they don't spend any time with us when we see them at our daughter's house on special occasions like our grandson's birthday---we don't even really like the husband who can be loud and "life of the party" guy...
THEY have not called us to say thank you--to ask/offer to pay rent--and I doubt they will
My husband won't be the one to call them either or set parameters--
He won't want to make our daughter uncomfortable

Our daughter is the one who has put herself in the middle but I know her
She won't complain to them about what is doing on there
Our SIL's mother and sisters have stayed there and another set of their friends stayed there for a weekend several years ago---
HIS mother is very careful--they broke a broom and she replaced it--wrote us very nice thank up notes on the different occasions and always cleans up---we never mind if they stay there

But these people I just am uncomfortable--
They have two kids of their own and a niece who basically lives with them
Think they have a cat--

What type of communication should we be expecting to take place
What type of ground rules for a stay of a month or so???
We planned to return to FL after the 10th of November but didn't have specific date set
I don't want to change MY plans because they have problems closing their deal or want to do something like paint prior to moving in...
But I don't think WE should be the one to initiate the conversation
Am I wrong/heavy handed to think the people borrowing OUR house should be the ones to make first contact???

I wouldn't worry about who is going to make the first contact. That would be ME - I would be calling them right now and saying, "Sorry, not sorry, but this is NOT going to happen. You are going to have to find another place to stay."

End of story.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:49 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,660,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Hell no you're not wrong. They better not paint. WTF? It's not their house. The total expectation of moving in not contacting you speaks volumes. Run away from this arrangement
I'm fairly certain that they are wanting to paint the house they are buying, not the OP's house.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM

5,291 posts, read 5,216,211 times
I would have no problem whatsoever being the bad guy here. The only person who stands to lose something is you. Nice of your daughter to offer YOUR house...why didnt she offer HER house?

These arent even people that are friends of yours. What incentive do they have to leave the house the way they have found it? You arent loaning them a car (tho I wouldnt do that either), they are responsible for a house worth probably several hundred thousand. Thats what they have motels for.

No. Just no.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,707,643 times
One possible solution might be for your daughter to stay at your place and let "the friends" stay in your daughter's home. That should solve all of your problems and, perhaps, teach your daughter a nice life lesson.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I'm fairly certain that they are wanting to paint the house they are buying, not the OP's house.
I had applicants for a rental and one of the first things they asked was if they could paint.
I had some who wanted to rip out carpet and tile.
Wanted to do hardwood flooring
Wanted to remodel the kitchen

You would be surprised how much nerve people have today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate