Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Here's another vote for Just Say No. you are more concerned about upsetting a family you are barely acquainted with, than you are about risking damage to your home, or about merely asserting yourself for your own preference.

Your preference is to not have near-strangers stay in your home. That is completely reasonable! You don't need a specific reason. It's YOUR house! These people are grown-ups and should have arranged to properly lease suitable short-term housing.

I'll repeat: Just Say No. Say you've thought it through, and you are not comfortable with the arrangement. Period. No further explanation needed. You can tell your daughter and let her convey the message, since this family hasn't even bothered to contact you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 03:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You might want to sit that daughter down and explain to her that it is not OK for her to give away stuff that doesn't belong to her.

Right now, she gets all the credit for her generosity and you are going to get all the damage and the eviction if the friends are lying about getting out when their escrow closes--- if they even have an escrow.

She didn't volunteer anything. She asked her dad, and her dad said yes.

Maybe dad should've consulted with mom before agreeing, but that's not daughter's fault.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:43 PM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
Listen to the posters who are warning you - it's not too late to say no. And you should.

Hasn't this already caused you plenty of aggravation? You don't owe these people anything - and you and your husband are going to end up with the short end of the stick.

This seems like a preamble to a bad experience - let your daughter offer up her own house if she's so hot on the idea as another poster suggested.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
To answer your question, I would say you should not expect any communication.

From your description of the man guest, I would expect this man to take over your house & only move out if & when he is absolutely forced out legally. Imo, you have been manipulated into giving up your house to a ******. Your daughter has probably been manipulated as well. I presume they have moved in now. A good time should be underway by now by your daughter & her friends who are now conveniently her new neighbors.

Do you know if these people have sold their oddly located & difficult to sell house? Perhaps it was foreclosed on? You probably also have no idea if they’ve found another house to buy? Do the adults who now live in your house have jobs? For all you know these people could have been renting that house. And no disrespect to you but who do you think your daughter would rather have living next door? You or her friends?

This is a worst case scenario & probably not the case. But it is a real possibility. You can look on-line to see if these people’s house is “sale-pending.” If not, you have real problems. I think in Florida you can even find out the name of the owners of property on-line.

Send letters to your daughter & to her friends advising them of the exact date they need to be out of your house. Do not be swayed by any excuses, as I’m sure many will be coming. Make it clear their problems are not your problems & then don’t let it become so.

I’m sorry you have been put in this circumstance. You MUST become the bad guy. Would you rather protect & respect yourself or these people you don’t even like?
Wow! Just. Plain. Wow.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

This poster has great expectations of disaster and a very poor understanding of the situation and has even decided to call a man she knows nothing at all about a name that the censors won't allow. Wow!

I don't know if this is because she herself would cause problems for others or has been on the receiving end of such treatment but nothing from the OP rises anywhere close to supporting such a level of vehemence. She is also questioning the financial conditions and employment status of the people borrowing the house and even the loyalty of the daughter to her parents!

She almost demands the OP send letters to all the concerned parties and virtually guarantees that simply allowing friends of the family to use a house for a few weeks will cause World War III. Wow!

Get off my lawn!

Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some people are making mountains out of mole hills. These daughter's friends are houseguest, not tenants.

Write down your conditions regarding any pet damage, etc. for your daughter to give to them and then they call you. The very least they can do is have professional cleaners in after they are out and leave the frig stocked and a few bottles of wine. They are after all not making a house payment on their sold and closed house.

If they are not out by the time you arrive, you go to a hotel and they and your daughter pay.
Once they establish residency they are no longer guests and are by law considered tenants. You're clueless on how laws work. Regardless OP doesn't seem so keen on the whole thing.

Maybe we are making a mountain out of a mole hill, but a lot of us have experience of tenancy and either went through or know of such situations that you most likely do not. If nothing happens great. If something does OP will be here with a sob story his friends destroyed her house.

The whole you go to a hotel and the daughter and they pay sounds great. You got a way to enforce that suggestion when op comes home and the friends haven't found a house? What do you do then? Hey guys sorry you gotta move out while I'm back home.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,589,229 times
If these people in fact don't really have a deal to buy a new house and are just going to be squatting in yours, will your daughter do all the work and pay the money, to get them evicted?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Wow! Just. Plain. Wow.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

This poster has great expectations of disaster and a very poor understanding of the situation and has even decided to call a man she knows nothing at all about a name that the censors won't allow. Wow!

I don't know if this is because she herself would cause problems for others or has been on the receiving end of such treatment but nothing from the OP rises anywhere close to supporting such a level of vehemence. She is also questioning the financial conditions and employment status of the people borrowing the house and even the loyalty of the daughter to her parents!

She almost demands the OP send letters to all the concerned parties and virtually guarantees that simply allowing friends of the family to use a house for a few weeks will cause World War III. Wow!

Get off my lawn!
None of us know what the guests will do. At the minimum have a lease agreement that sets ground rules and expectations of the tenants behavior and responsibilities. That's what I'm suggesting. Because ultimately you never know and neither you or I can guarantee a happy ending.

For example what happens if the friends do not find a house and OP is coming back home and needs her place back?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Once they establish residency they are no longer guests and are by law considered tenants. You're clueless on how laws work. Regardless OP doesn't seem so keen on the whole thing.

Maybe we are making a mountain out of a mole hill, but a lot of us have experience of tenancy and either went through or know of such situations that you most likely do not.
I have to agree: Until you've been a landlord and talked to other landlords, you probably don't appreciate the scope of expense, trouble and damage that renters (oh excuse me, guests) can cause.

But that's the OP's problem now. Avoiding conflict always comes with a cost.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
they already have a contract and a closing date. Were the other friends who stayed there while the owner's were in Texas tenants?

As someone else suggested, the daughter moves into mom's, the friends stay at her house. If her friends linger, she's the one with the problem.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some people are making mountains out of mole hills. These daughter's friends are houseguest, not tenants.

Write down your conditions regarding any pet damage, etc. for your daughter to give to them and then they call you. The very least they can do is have professional cleaners in after they are out and leave the frig stocked and a few bottles of wine. They are after all not making a house payment on their sold and closed house.

If they are not out by the time you arrive, you go to a hotel and they and your daughter pay.
Hilarious! You think that they should have to stay in a hotel as opposed to having access to their own house? No matter who pays for this, it's a ridiculous suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate