Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times

Advertisements

My guess is that they don't. The kind of buyer who cares about price history and wants to maximize value for money generally isn't going to buy a flipped house. That's you. The kind of buyer who wants something that is turnkey and is willing to pay more for it either doesn't look at price history or isn't bothered by the sort of price history you mention. Flippers will only operate for very long in markets where there are enough buyers of the second kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
"Price history" has nothing to do with the current value of a house.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM

418 posts, read 367,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Homes are not worth what only one buyer would pay.
Homes, like any commodity, are only worth what someone will pay for it. My opinion isn't the be all, end all, but if no one else will pay asking price for it either, then it's not worth that today. A seller thinking his product "should" be worth a certain amount, or "would" be in a different market is irrelevant. Also, the longer a house sits on the market, the more value it loses.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
OP, I do the same thing when I look at places. I want to see price history, but rely on what my agent can find as Redfin, Zillow, et al have inconsistent information. I might pause at a house as you describe and ask to find out more info-- what was replaced in the ten days of ownership? Maybe some bathroom vanities, paint, light fixtures? They could have updated some minor electrical in that time but permitting usually takes longer than that so I would want to know if the work they did do was permitted. But I agree that a price strategy where the house increased that much in value in that short a time is suspect unless they got the place for a song.

I usually try to walk away from flips. I have purchased a few of decently done ones but seen many more which are just awful.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That's your opinion. As a qualified buyer, I can tell you it does matter to me. I am highly skeptical that enough work was done in less than 2 weeks to justify such an increase in price. I am checking comps and as PP pointed out, with such a short turn around, the lower selling price from just a few weeks ago acts as its own comp, ironically. I'm not against flipping, nor am I against buying a flipped house. If it was off the market for 6 months, completely gutted and redone, then put back on the market with all the bells and whistles completed, this wouldn't have been made into a post. However, this house was bought real low and then re-listed very fast at an extremely high new price. It still has one below average full bath and no second even half bath. Far from ideal. I'm just surprised they thought it would be that quick and easy to turn a profit. So far, while other houses have sold in one day in today's market, this house still sits. My guess is they pull it off the market, put more work into it and relist it in a few months. But it does make the house lose value for many prospective buyers.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I have seen many homes successfully flipped for more money, and the value added was obvious. The home was substantially updated and presented as a better property.

I have also seen homes sit on the market for the reasons you describe in the OP. One where a seller had a life change after buying a home, but then wanted to sell it for his purchase price + new commissions and closing costs. Unfortunately, when buyers can see you just bought it two months ago, and the carpet hasn't even been vacuumed, let alone replaced, even a small increase is a tough sell.

There is also another property currently on the market here, where they did a few projects on the house, added a front porch, but inexplicably raised the purchase price over $180K. And that is not a small percentage of the total price... they bought it for 290K and now have it listed for $475K. I don't know what Zillow reports, but the MLS certainly shows this sales and price history, and there just isn't anything that would justify an increase like that. I've shown it before and now and said so in the feedback remarks to the listing agent. The agent replied "if you think it's over priced, make an offer!" (I thought maybe he wanted some help convincing his clients they are dreaming!) I said the offer would be at least $150K less than he's asking, and that's being pretty generous about the changes that have been made to the place since they bought it a year ago. I didn't hear back.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Just guessing here but based on the title of the thread the OP isn't looking for someone to stick to his budget.

He is wondering how flippers price their houses. Especially given that people can see the price history and think "what? 90,000 for 10 days of work?"
Thank you!!!!! You got what I meant

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If it's recent history, ie within the last few months, it is as relevant as any other comp in the neighborhood. Now, if sufficient updates were done, the price fluctuation might be warranted, but as a buyer I'd look into it pretty carefully.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
I didn't see the OP's name until I got way into the thread. The whole time I'm thinking it's only 1 house and why does it matter if profit will be made? It's worth what the market will bear given location & condition. If you're not willing to pay it, then that's your prerogative... move on. If it's not worth what they're asking, price will eventually come down if there are no other takers - very basic concept. Then I realized who was posting, now notorious on our local city forums because of everything having to be perfect from a buyer's perspective and then *maybe* you'll pull the trigger, in 3-6 months. All the while, criticisms against everyone who has bought, calling them idiots. This is a VERY hot market regardless of its shortcomings and people will settle for less than ideal conditions because they want to be here. That's all there is to it. You will never be 100% happy and with every post you seem you need to be before pulling the trigger. Good luck with that and wasting people's time.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-09-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life
Homes are not worth what only one buyer would pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
That's your opinion. As a qualified buyer, I can tell you it does matter to me. I am highly skeptical that enough work was done in less than 2 weeks to justify such an increase in price. I am checking comps and as PP pointed out, with such a short turn around, the lower selling price from just a few weeks ago acts as its own comp, ironically. I'm not against flipping, nor am I against buying a flipped house. If it was off the market for 6 months, completely gutted and redone, then put back on the market with all the bells and whistles completed, this wouldn't have been made into a post. However, this house was bought real low and then re-listed very fast at an extremely high new price. It still has one below average full bath and no second even half bath. Far from ideal. I'm just surprised they thought it would be that quick and easy to turn a profit. So far, while other houses have sold in one day in today's market, this house still sits. My guess is they pull it off the market, put more work into it and relist it in a few months. But it does make the house lose value for many prospective buyers.
Wmsn4Life is correct. There are outlier buyers in either direction, but market value is based on what most buyers would pay, not what one buyer thinks. That's why you look at comparable properties, NOT at price history, when determining market value (and that's what the seller is, or should be - there are outliers in sellers, too - looking at when pricing the house, flipper or not). You may decide that just because the seller paid X for a house that it is not worth the asking price, and that's fine, but the fact is, there will be other buyers who look at the overall market, look at comparable houses that sold (sold price, NOT list price which is meaningless for these purposes), drop off the highest and lowest as outliers not indicative of the market, and get a good idea of the value of the house. Note that NONE of this involves what the seller paid for the house - that's just static that loses you houses (or buyers, if the seller paid too much and thinks that the market "owes" them a price that pays them what they think they "deserve").

What was the market when the house was purchased? What were comparable properties to it AS IT WAS THEN selling for? Was it purchased at the far low end of the market? Was it a foreclosure or a short sale or a distressed seller under pressure to sell cheap? (These are the kinds of houses that flippers generally look for - houses that are priced below market for any of a number of reasons, which is what allows them to make a profit.) All of these are factors that you don't appear to be taking into account, just what it sold for, not why.

You would do much better to stop looking backwards to the past and look at the present market for the same kind of house to determine how much it is worth, not how much the seller might be making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate