Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
In X number of years when your paint colors are outdated, the color of your hardwoods are outdated, and your quartz countertops are outdated (quartz replaced granite and I'm certain something will replace quartz at some point) will you do another update or will you think "Meh, I still like it and it works for me!"
Yeah, but I will enjoy it until then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,446,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We enjoy our home and freshen/update as we see fit. When the time comes to sell we won't have to do anything.

Our neighbours have done nothing to their 45 year old home and feel that their home should fetch the same $ as an updated one. They think that because they have lived in the home for 25+ years and never felt the need to update anything that other people should do the same. It is weird.
Maybe they have a perfect 1970s time capsule house!

Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
The problem with this post is that you assume everyone is like you and wants the same thing. It is very common for people to get completely overwhelmed by all of the choices available to them. Your brain likes all the choices, other people's brains don't. One of my most common closing gifts is consult time with my stager for buyers. People need guidance working through the noise.

You think spending a few thousand for new counters isn't a big deal, but for other people that means not going on vacation for that year. Maybe you give up vacation for new counters. That is okay too because at the end of the day the goal is for people to create an environment that makes them happy. For you it is stressful to be in a home with things you don't like. For other people it is stressful to update.

You like painting and think it is easy peasy. To someone else it is a nightmare. If people want to buy a home and not update it that is totally fine. If people want to buy a home and gut it, that is totally fine. I'm not sure you realize how condescending your posts come across which is why you are getting backlash.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The problem with this post is that you assume everyone is like you and wants the same thing. It is very common for people to get completely overwhelmed by all of the choices available to them. Your brain likes all the choices, other people's brains don't. One of my most common closing gifts is consult time with my stager for buyers. People need guidance working through the noise.

You think spending a few thousand for new counters isn't a big deal, but for other people that means not going on vacation for that year. Maybe you give up vacation for new counters. That is okay too because at the end of the day the goal is for people to create an environment that makes them happy. For you it is stressful to be in a home with things you don't like. For other people it is stressful to update.

You like painting and think it is easy peasy. To someone else it is a nightmare. If people want to buy a home and not update it that is totally fine. If people want to buy a home and gut it, that is totally fine. I'm not sure you realize how condescending your posts come across which is why you are getting backlash.
Honestly, I thought this was one of my less condescending topics!

My intention is to encourage people to enjoy their environments. I see a lot of threads with complaints that selling is stressful and changing things for the market runs the gamut from desperation (what will buyers want?) to complete anger and refusal (they can kiss my behind! I am not changing a thing!) I am asking why this is the only time many homeowners stop to consider their environment. And maybe that is challenging to some.

I agree that no one ever has enough money to do all of the things they want. Or enough time. So if the answer really is that people don't notice or care about their space and don't prioritize that, ok. I am willing to admit I might be in the minority. I started my post like that-- I may be from another planet. But why do so many people pay attention to HGTV if they have zero interest in what their home looks like?

Nor did I debate people wanting move in ready or a fixer, to gut a place or love it as is. I only said its not worth updating for ME unless someone knew my taste to the letter. Which no one does. I am willing to roll up my sleeves and do my own work. Somehow that is elitist? Me doing my own work?

The only thing you mentioned that doesn't compute is "painting is a nightmare." Really? If that is a nightmare, I want to trade places with them. As I am sure do many people in Florida, Houston, Puerto Rico and Northern Ca.

Last edited by emotiioo; 10-13-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 04:55 PM

10,076 posts, read 6,372,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Honestly, I thought this was one of my less condescending topics!

My intention is to encourage people to enjoy their environments. I see a lot of threads with complaints that selling is stressful and changing things for the market runs the gamut from desperation (what will buyers want?) to complete anger and refusal (they can kiss my behind! I am not changing a thing!) I am asking why this is the only time many homeowners stop to consider their environment. And maybe that is challenging to some.

I agree that no one ever has enough money to do all of the things they want. Or enough time. So if the answer really is that people don't notice or care about their space and don't prioritize that, ok. I am willing to admit I might be in the minority. I started my post like that-- I may be from another planet. But why do so many people pay attention to HGTV if they have zero interest in what their home looks like?

The only thing you mentioned that doesn't compute is "painting is a nightmare." Really? If that is a nightmare, I want to trade places with them.
Painting is a nightmare for me. I can do yard work and planting, but painting absolutely aggravates a neck and shoulder condition I have, so all my painting in the last few years (yes, I updated all the paint in my house except the kitchen) was done by my trusted painters. I AM going to try and do just the KILZ primer coat on my kitchen walls (have to cover the red) , but the topcoats will be done by someone else as well. I can't reach over the cabinet tops anyway, even with a ladder.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Painting is a nightmare for me. I can do yard work and planting, but painting absolutely aggravates a neck and shoulder condition I have, so all my painting in the last few years (yes, I updated all the paint in my house except the kitchen) was done by my trusted painters. I AM going to try and do just the KILZ primer coat on my kitchen walls (have to cover the red) , but the topcoats will be done by someone else as well. I can't reach over the cabinet tops anyway, even with a ladder.
I would happily help you paint. And I think red paint should come with warning labels. Have you ever passed on a house because of paint?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:14 PM

9,350 posts, read 14,010,665 times
Quote:
...My intention is to encourage people to enjoy their environments. I see a lot of threads with complaints that selling is stressful and changing things for the market runs the gamut from desperation (what will buyers want?) to complete anger and refusal (they can kiss my behind! I am not changing a thing!) I am asking why this is the only time many homeowners stop to consider their environment....
The great thing about C-D is the variety of threads that get started, and that they often make us stop and think. I quite enjoy emotiioo and his/her observations. On this topic I do agree to a large extent. Why wait until you are moving to perk things up? Give yourself at least a year or two to enjoy all those "necessary" changes yourself before selling and moving on.

But there are always three stumbling blocks: making choices, finding a contractor, and finding the money to do it. If you can overcome those, you are ready to roll, and to enjoy the fresh look to your daily environment.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The great thing about C-D is the variety of threads that get started, and that they often make us stop and think. I quite enjoy emotiioo and his/her observations. On this topic I do agree to a large extent. Why wait until you are moving to perk things up? Give yourself at least a year or two to enjoy all those "necessary" changes yourself before selling and moving on.

But there are always three stumbling blocks: making choices, finding a contractor, and finding the money to do it. If you can overcome those, you are ready to roll, and to enjoy the fresh look to your daily environment.
Thank you.

I don't mind being the gadfly that stings a few flanks. The populace of C-D seems to be so quick to take offense, but I am really asking people to think about this topic.

My home is immensely important to me. I work very hard to keep it looking and feeling good, as well as to pay for it. Honestly, its not a mansion or even a grande dame of a residence. But I definitely want to enjoy it the second I get in the door. I DON'T want to hand it over to someone else spiffed up for them having never really made it the way I wanted it.

So maybe people don't care as much. That's okay. But there are so many threads with bragging rights (everyone wanted my house! It sold in ten minutes! Its better than the neighbors!) so you would think that this was not a sore subject.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 PM

5,405 posts, read 3,438,560 times
Quote:
Now that is valid. Remodels are a pain. I get it. I would argue that putting it off until right before selling adds stress to stress. But yes, you have a point.

Not all work is difficult. Painting is pretty simple to do. Changing cabinet hardware super easy. Hanging lights in existing locations also easy.
I'll buy you a ticket to Florida if you will come paint my place and hang new lighting for me. I hate painting and I'm not an electrician!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM

8,246 posts, read 8,596,826 times
I always wondered about people that "enjoyed their house". I enjoy people, events, and activities not the place where I sleep and keep my stuff which is all a house is for many people. When reading a great book it doesn't get better if there are new kitchen cabinets. I never noticed a meal being better because of the flooring in the kitchen. If updating improves the quality of a persons life I wonder what qualities they have or lack?

This thread probably belongs on the psychology forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate