Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 06:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times

Advertisements

I've always heard that 2 bedroom homes are difficult to sell. I'm looking in an urban area, not good schools, but also not that much nightlife on it's own. It's big plus is that it's a 20-30 min bus ride to nyc in some areas(also all night transportation). For people who are familiar with the NJ/NYC area, I'm talking about Union City, NJ. I'd say chances of gentrification are moderate. Many of the areas around NYC(ie Jersey City) are gentrifying rapidly.
With the above information, what do people think. Do urban dwellers shun single family homes in general, or is it just they are often prohibitively expensive in urban areas, so people stay away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I've always heard...
If you're really concerned about selling it you probably shouldn't buy it.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Looking at comps and days on market will tell you if they are in demand in that area .

In L.A I think most still prefer a single family home if they have kids .

Decent homes in decent areas are expensive but people still buy them and quickly especially in this market .

Old 10-15-2017, 12:21 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
There's a lid for every pot.

If you buy this house, when it's time to sell someone just like you, who also wants a small home, will buy it.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
A 2 bedroom is usually for starters or downsizing. The schools shouldn't be a problem since the starters will probably leave before it matters.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:04 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Your answer varies by region.

Overall, a two bedroom condo is more common than a two bedroom house. (Percentage wise.) So a 2 bedroom condo is more 'normal' than a 2 bedroom single family home.

But, honestly, as someone else mentioned, there are buyers for all homes. When I was searching, I wanted a condo because I don't have time for yard maintenance, but I was open to single family homes. I was looking in the starter home price range, and I was very adamant that I did not want to give up living square footage for a third bedroom. Meaning I was unwilling to buy a 1000 square foot three bedroom. I didn't need three bedrooms, so if I was going to buy a small house, I'd rather the living areas be larger. I ended up buying a 1400 square foot home that is legally two bedrooms. There is a bedroom in the basement that is lacking egress windows and there is an addition the former owners used as a den/family room. It has a regular door on it, so it is just a closet away from being a 300 square foot bedroom. It will have a closet in it before I sell it (Not sure why the former owners didn't want to spend a couple hundred to make a few thousand, but I'm not complaining. I'll do it, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate