Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 AM

47 posts, read 65,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Are you not using a realtor at this point? ... if you are just relying on drive-bys to advertise your property, you are missing out on a lot of buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you are serious about selling, list it with a local realtor.
Thank you VTsnowbird, parentologist and multiple others suggesting I resort to listing with a realtor rather than relying on local signage. I may do that.

However, I'm actually more upset for the other landowners than I am for myself. (Yes, I would like to sell, but as I mentioned in OP, I love the land - it won't kill me to not sell).

The point that myself and everyone else in the area should be furious about, is this guy taking control of other people's right to buy and sell land, limiting their selling options, and in this particular case probably having a significant impact. I strongly believe the marketing potential of signage here is great... and have some experience that reinforces this.

Although the area is rural, the road I mentioned where the signs are most important (nearest paved road to the property's inlet road), is actually quite busy by normal traffic. On top of that, the road provides the access to Phoenix International Raceway 2 miles away - where international race venues occur 3 or 4 times a year. During those races, thousands of people pass by those signs all weekend long. Many of them are affluent folks traveling from around the nation to attend the events. The area is beautiful - this is a powerful marketing opportunity to spur interest in folks that might be thinking of moving to the Phoenix area.

Years ago, I bought and sold another property in this same valley. Using only a couple of signs, I sold 1.25 acres of undeveloped land (no electric, no water) for $210k. Sold to a wonderful couple who were race fans from Michigan.

Last edited by phxphun; 10-24-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"It is a beautiful spot, and glad you've been able to build your dream home. I need to sell, and hopefully you'll get great neighbors - if you don't already know someone who'd like to build their dream home in this awesome spot! I did notice that all the real estate signs were stolen, so I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eye out for any hijinks. Would you please do that?"

Well done, I like that! I'll give that a try before placing my next signs out.

If that doesn't work I could let him know... if we don't sell, we've decided to build and operate a group home. (I've just found where group homes as business ventures are in fact allowed under the RU-43 zoning that applies to this area). And coincidentally, our doing so would not be unrealistic at all, given my husband's particular profession.

Last edited by phxphun; 10-24-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 PM

15,741 posts, read 20,309,501 times
Set up the sign again, but this time install a trail cam nearby hidden. Make it so one of the signs is off the roadway a bit and requires someone to walk into the woods slightly to remove it.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 5,017,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxphun View Post
Well done, I like that! I'll give that a try before placing my next signs out.

If that doesn't work I could let him know... if we don't sell, we've decided to build and operate a group home. (I've just found where group homes as business ventures are in fact allowed under the RU-43 zoning that applies to this area). And coincidentally, our doing so would not be unrealistic at all, given my husband's particular profession.
Had a relative with this problem. He told the offender if he didn't sell he was going to donate the land to the city for a public park. You could even designate that it had to be a public dog park.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Set up the sign again, but this time install a trail cam nearby hidden. Make it so one of the signs is off the roadway a bit and requires someone to walk into the woods slightly to remove it.
Thanks BostonMike7. I'm researching trail cameras now. Wondering if I can find one that will limit motion detection to within 10 feet or so of the sign. Otherwise, cars driving by would trigger it consistently. I won't be able to check on it for at least a two week period between visits.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,342,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They sell those Game cameras for hunters that activate by motion.
That's what I was going to suggest. Then call the cops.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:34 PM

45,073 posts, read 60,132,206 times
OnSite Search : Cabela's

Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM

40,931 posts, read 48,978,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's what I was going to suggest. Then call the cops.
Too bad there's not an Internet connection. We could all watch it live.

I was going to offer my Ring door camera.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM

8,663 posts, read 22,839,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Too bad there's not an Internet connection. We could all watch it live.

I was going to offer my Ring door camera.
Lol, now that sounds like fun! I have a nest camera, motion activated, alerts me by phone, then I can view inside the home live. And it's backed up on a server for $4.99 a month.

Now, how to get that camera connected to the Web. Wanna rent your land for a cell phone tower? (I know, valley not prime land for a tower).

Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,037,995 times
Why bother buying a game camera? Just spin some yarn when you see the alleged culprit.

"My signs kept getting removed, so I hid a game camera in those rocks there to see who did it. The sheriff told me to bring the SD card by his office and they would look into it. I just came by to grab the cam and head back to upload the video and take a look. Probably just some kids who don't know they can get pinched for theft and trespassing--should be funny if the video captures a face--I bought the most expensive hi-res model at BassPro. Well, gotta go. See you around."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate