Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 AM

340 posts, read 221,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
#1....I would ask this guy if he wants to buy or knows anyone who wants to buy. Now is the chance to choose the neighbor if he doesn't like you.
#2....Tell him if you don't sell it your going to see if you can bury nuclear waste there.
#3....Get a realtor to help you.
#4....are there any restrictions to the signs? I've had HOA take them down, neighbors who thought they were the HOA police take them down. In my fair city, the city used to take them down, now they pay volunteers $5/sign to take them down. You can have a sign in the yard, but no where else...no directionals....not on the corner, etc.
#5....could be someone else taking them too. Recyclers....I've seen builders take them.
#6...any chance you could sell it an the others to a builder who needs lots?
Maybe I'm being nit picky here, but if they are being paid, then are they really "volunteers"?

$5/sign taken down is good money in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:00 AM

340 posts, read 221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Why bother buying a game camera? Just spin some yarn when you see the alleged culprit.

"My signs kept getting removed, so I hid a game camera in those rocks there to see who did it. The sheriff told me to bring the SD card by his office and they would look into it. I just came by to grab the cam and head back to upload the video and take a look. Probably just some kids who don't know they can get pinched for theft and trespassing--should be funny if the video captures a face--I bought the most expensive hi-res model at BassPro. Well, gotta go. See you around."
This is your best advice imo. Psychological deterrents are often better than any physical products. I had a house once that someone tried to break into while it was under remodel. The next day signs went up everywhere saying the property was under video surveillance. The signs only cost me about 20 bucks or less. Far less than a camera, not to mention the hassle of setting one up.

People will usually think twice before acting as long as you give them something to think about.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Hide a video camera to record his thefts from your property. Then call police.
Yes--my sister uses those to check on predators in the rural area she lives in and gets some good pictures

A better quality camera has strong battery, wider field of vision and better low-light quality
Using two from different angles--
Like to catch a car/truck that might park along the roadside and then going to the sign location would likely be more helpful than just one camera

Old 10-25-2017, 08:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Since you're not willing to even mention the signs to him, there's nothing you can do about it. You are at a disadvantage, since you live an hour away, and he's right there. Unless you can talk him out of his mindset, there's nothing you can do.

You have to rely on advertising and meeting prospective purchasers out there. And have a supply of signs so that you can place them out there every time you go.

When people buy rural acreage, I would think that one of the traits of such people is that they are anti-social, to begin with. So I don't see much luck, since he's anti-social and not honorable. Don't mention that to prospective buyers, of course, since they won't want to live near such a person.
We live in a very nice neighborhood in suburban area of DFW TX metroplex
The man who was the head of our HOA had a vacant lot next to his house--
People bought it
They had architect draw up plans for house--
It was very attractive design--totally within the overall aesthetics of the neighborhood standards
Because this was on a cul de sac with a narrow front the plan required an exception (like 10") to the setback/sideline rules...
The neighbor/head of the HOA was also on the Architectural Review Committee--the head, plus 2 other HOA members--one on the other side of that vacant lot)...that neighbor had no issue with the granting the exception...the third member was friend of the HOA head...they voted it down...
The people went back to the architect several times to have their plans amended and resubmitted
Their problem was they wanted a one story house--both were older and didn't want stairs but they had to have certain number of sq ft based on the CCR's for the neighborhood....

They finally threatened a lawsuit because there were plenty of other homes built that had gotten exemptions from the setbacks--they just didn't happen to be next to the head of the HOA...
He was an a-- and he still is....
They were finally able to build their home there but spent over 3 yrs before they finished because of that man's selfish attitude--
He just didn't want a house on that lot eventhough he knew when he bought/built his the lot was likely to be built on...

Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,273,106 times
I don't know if a sign will help sell the property anyway. A sign is limited to someone that happens to show up in the area. If they are not interested in buying then all you have done is advertise to someone that does not want the property. I would guess that at most you are advertising to the locals only with a sign. Unless you have lots of traffic in the area.

What about advertising online? Maybe get someone that sells land to handle the deal.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 AM

47 posts, read 65,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A sign is limited to someone that happens to show up in the area. If they are not interested in buying then all you have done is advertise to someone that does not want the property. I would guess that at most you are advertising to the locals only with a sign. Unless you have lots of traffic in the area.
Thanks for the comment, SOON2BNSURPRISE. Typically, I would agree. However, in this case, your 'unless' does come into play.

I believe signage has quite a bit of marketing value here, as there is somewhat more of a captive audience than would be with a typical rural setting - an influx of non-locals captivated by the unusual beauty of the area. See my post #31 yesterday above.

Last edited by phxphun; 10-25-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 11,959,919 times
My two cents.... as a rural person who also sells rural real estate.

First... A sign AT a for sale property is very valuable for letting a looker know they are at the right place, but without a knowledgeable person there who knows what they are looking at and where the boundaries are, signs alone won't sell a vacant land parcel. You really should have a broker list the property, and advertise it on the MLS of course, but also on a number of other land and acreage websites where people are looking for vacant land in your area. There you can include pictures, and boundary and plat maps, and any other important information about the property that would help a looker become an informed and serious buyer.

Second, I would talk to the neighbor. Become the neighbor's friend. It could be the neighbor spends a lot of time running hunters, druggies, parkers, campers and trash dumpers off of neighboring properties including yours, and it's a GOOD thing he is keeping casual lookie-loos out. It could be that you and the neighbors all putting signs out directing any Tom, Dick or Harry to come and wander around vacant parcels with no protection or supervision at all... is a bad idea. You could assure him that you would list your parcel with an agent who will require all lookers are accompanied by an agent who knows the property lines and will respect the neighbor's privacy. Maybe that would help.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-25-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
I agree with Diana on all counts.

Hire an agent. They have every incentive in the world from having their signs removed and to keep a close eye on your property.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:48 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Since you're not willing to even mention the signs to him, there's nothing you can do about it. You are at a disadvantage, since you live an hour away, and he's right there. Unless you can talk him out of his mindset, there's nothing you can do.

You have to rely on advertising and meeting prospective purchasers out there. And have a supply of signs so that you can place them out there every time you go.

When people buy rural acreage, I would think that one of the traits of such people is that they are anti-social, to begin with. So I don't see much luck, since he's anti-social and not honorable. Don't mention that to prospective buyers, of course, since they won't want to live near such a person.

When people buy rural acreage, I would think that one of the traits of such people is that they are anti-social, to begin with.”

That is one of the most incredibly condescending statements I have ever read on CD, and that is really being too kind. How about this statement: “ I think people who don’t like rural life are a few fries short of a happy meal”. Sheesh....talk about blanket statements.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM

15,246 posts, read 12,891,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
When people buy rural acreage, I would think that one of the traits of such people is that they are anti-social, to begin with.”

That is one of the most incredibly condescending statements I have ever read on CD, and that is really being too kind.
The poster who said that is wrong. Most of the people I know who've bought largish parcels away from the city aren't antisocial -- they're just tired of living cheek by jowl with their neighbors. My next-door neighbor can see into my laundry room from her kitchen. It doesn't mean I want to avoid her, I just want my property to have bigger margins.

The OP's 5 acre desert parcel sounds lovely. The OP does not sound like an anti-social person, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate