Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times

Advertisements

Florida resident here. We use our pool. I can't wait till it gets hot again to warm it up. We do have a heater but only turn it on when we have guests coming to visit in the winter. Too expensive to leave the heater on all the time.

Right now I'm sitting outside and the sound of the waterfall is just so soothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 AM

815 posts, read 708,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I'm surprised nobody said a pool. I live in FL and so many people have pools. I doubt they are used very often by many people. And they take up the entire backyard. And they cost money to insure and maintain. We avoided houses with pools.
I avoid pools too because we are not swimmers in my family and I'm terrified one of my small children will drown in it. The maintenance and loss of yard space are dealbreakers for me. But the people who actually want pools really do use them. Where I live, people like me who don't really want them don't place offers on homes with pools, but there are enough people who really want a pool to make up for that. There are not a ton of homes with pools in my town so a nice pool often does increase the value of the home. However, those home also don't sell quite as fast since there is a smaller market for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The garage.

Not because I don't want to put my car in garage every night, but it doesn't fit. And not because I have too much junk in the garage, but because once I get my car - a Mazda3 no less - into the garage, I cannot open the driver door to get out.
Now see I NEED my garage. I park in it and we also use it for storage. It's nice to be able to not go outside to get in and get stuff out of the car. But I notice lots of people don't use it and, like you, just use it as storage. I have lived in houses where it is just easier just to park in the driveway than the garage. Maybe this issue has more to do with the size of the garage and driveway.

But whether you use it or not, a house that doesn't have one does poorly on resale where I live. We viewed one home during our home search where the owners had converted the garage to living space. That house went for a good $30K below other comparable houses with garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
My wife wanted the washer/dryer upstairs. In our old house, they were in the basement. So now we have a house where the washer/dryer are in a little closet right next to the living room. And you can't hear anything while they're running. I would love to have them in the basement again so it isn't loud as hell in the upper floor while they're running.

We also got rid of a smaller front loader for a Samsung top loader that we've had nothing but problems with. It uses more water than a front loader, is louder, and harder to get clothes out of. Not to mention it has been worked on twice and needs a 3rd visit. I know it's not a house feature, but still.
I have always thought it would be very convenient to have the washer/dryer upstairs but I guess it makes sense that they would be on one of the lower floors because of the noise issue. Also, I guess if there's a leak or something that would be more of a problem on the upper levels too. That must suck to have it right off the living room. Ours is on the main floor, but it's off of the kitchen on the opposite end of the house from the living room so we don't hear it. It really is not that big of a deal to carry the clothes up and down the stairs.

I am dying to get a front loader washer! Our laundry room is small, so it would be cool to be able to put a counter top on top of the washer and dryer to fold clothes. I have heard many complaints about front loaders so I'm actually glad to see that top loaders are not necessarily better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Love your post, CaliDreaming! I'll try to give you a rep point if it allows me to do it. Anyway, here are my comments (in blue) on the features you mentioned:

Also somebody mentioned a home theater, and I am glad I don't have one. I would never use it.

Also, a pot filler? No, that's not something I stay awake longing to have.

A separate dispenser for hot water for tea and so on? No thanks. I bought an electric kettle and that works just fine for that purpose for me.

Electric heated towel rack? Maybe, if I lived on the North Pole. But in New Orleans, the towels are already warm enough just sitting on a conventional towel rack.

Formal dining room - - don't have or want one.
Thanks NOLA!!

Home theaters have never appealed to me. I can't ever see myself going down into a windowless basement to watch a movie. I just don't think the theater experience can be replicated in a house that well even in the most expensive houses. When I'm at home, I'd must rather watch a movie in the family room. If I want the theater experience, I want to go out and get the real thing.

We have always had a formal dining room, and I have to practically force people to use it. When we have folks over, they ALWAYS prefer to head over to the family room or the kitchen. :/ Our dining room is pretty more often used as a conference room for meeting regarding Girl Scouts, business stuff,etc.
Even though it's the least used room in our home, for whatever reason, I still can't let go of the need to have one.

The other things on your list I would also never use and never even want.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Now see I NEED my garage. I park in it and we also use it for storage. It's nice to be able to not go outside to get in and get stuff out of the car. But I notice lots of people don't use it and, like you, just use it as storage.
It's not that I don't use the garage to store the car. I can't use the garage to store the car. It's not wide enough to accommodate even a compact car - the car fits in just fine, but I can't open the car doors to get out.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
It's not that I don't use the garage to store the car. I can't use the garage to store the car. It's not wide enough to accommodate even a compact car - the car fits in just fine, but I can't open the car doors to get out.
clearly you need a car with a sun roof!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:33 AM

815 posts, read 708,355 times
Quote:
Aw man that sucks!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
A yard--only maintenance--no use. Used the pool. Would prefer a yard full of shells or sand.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
Only owned 2 houses. First house must have was "fireplace" but it was so messy and gross that with the second house I was more specific, "gas fireplace."

But we never use it, and I finally turned off the gas line, and have placed decor in front of it.

Next house must-have: NO FIREPLACE.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
clearly you need a car with a sun roof!
LOL - I have one!

Just think of the dings I'd put on the hood with my heels. Yikes!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Quote:
LOL - I have one!

Just think of the dings I'd put on the hood with my heels. Yikes!
A convertible would be better.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
What I didn't get the one time years ago I built that I wanted was a kitchen fauchet with a thing on the floor.
I would love to be able to turn on my faucet with my foot. How you regulate the temp I'm not sure. But I think it
beats even the touch ones that you have to hit with your arm when your hands are gross.

That and a comfort height toilet. That I know I want, not sure how the above would work out but I'd like to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate