Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

I would suggest more photos, aerial photos, drone photos, etc. The sunset one is the only one that evokes any desire to be in that spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
1. I can't imagine that anyone with 2 million to spend is going to be looking for property on Craigslist.

2. The number of people that want to buy an island is very small. Hire an exclusive agent and give him a biggish commision.

And expect to wait. A long time.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:57 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I don't think I would ever use CL or Ebay if I were looking for property. I have purchased property in that price range and it was through an agent/traditional search. Anything I would see advertised otherwise I would probably assume was a scam.
I agree. People who can afford this price point don't waste their time with those sites. They figure serious sellers will have professional marketing done.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I have an island which I sold once but the buyer has not been able to come up with the funds and is months late and is not opposed to me attempting to sell it. No issues there.

Its off the coast of Rockport Texas - a pleasant enough place (26 miles north of Corpus) but not in any big metro. The price for it 15 acres and 9.8 acres across the channel with 966 ft of waterfront is $2.1 mill

I listed it on Vladi Private Islands-- on there and other places there are no other islands for sale in Texas ( plenty in Florida and Maine). This makes appraisals - comparable sales - difficult.

I have a broker doing a Non-Exclusive but guess all they will do is MLS.

I have 25 craigslist ads. ( done today) all over Texas, London, Hong Kong, Mexico City etc any other places?

I have one on Ebay. ( today)

Lands of America and Loop Net but just standard.

They say every piece of land is unique but this is special -nearest island for sale is 1000 miles away in Florida.

Someone out there might love a Texas island but perhaps does not know they exist.

Any ideas?
Sounds like you've been pretty through. I personally wouldn't have even known where to begin....but it sounds like you do. Maybe just be patient.

Are you sure that you are able just to resell without repossessing this island formally? I'd be checking on the legalities if it were me. If you did get a bite you wouldn't want a glitch happening to prevent the sale.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I have an island which I sold once but the buyer has not been able to come up with the funds and is months late and is not opposed to me attempting to sell it. No issues there.

Its off the coast of Rockport Texas - a pleasant enough place (26 miles north of Corpus) but not in any big metro. The price for it 15 acres and 9.8 acres across the channel with 966 ft of waterfront is $2.1 mill

I listed it on Vladi Private Islands-- on there and other places there are no other islands for sale in Texas ( plenty in Florida and Maine). This makes appraisals - comparable sales - difficult.

I have a broker doing a Non-Exclusive but guess all they will do is MLS.

I have 25 craigslist ads. ( done today) all over Texas, London, Hong Kong, Mexico City etc any other places?

I have one on Ebay. ( today)

Lands of America and Loop Net but just standard.

They say every piece of land is unique but this is special -nearest island for sale is 1000 miles away in Florida.

Someone out there might love a Texas island but perhaps does not know they exist.

Any ideas?
Yeah! First, find someone who isn't completely inept at marketing! You're terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the links to your ads? Where's the map etc.? Do you want to sell it or not?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Thanks everyone. As far as the last "upbeat" comment, it is my understanding that Moderators do not like links, however I can try

Zillow says it ranks #1 among similar listings. ( whatever that means)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...m/?view=public

Private Islands for sale - Turtle Bayou Island - Texas - USA

Drone yes- our first attempt hit bad weather - should happen this week.

Hurricane is certainly negative but the barrier island protects this somewhat.

Many suggested getting a real estate agent who is proficient at islands but none say they have sold any. I have a non-exclusive with Vladi and one in Galveston TX

Suggestions on the ad?

Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM

it drips with negative language, describing the problems everyone else has, which translates to you being a difficult person to deal with. Just FYI.

do you own the pier?

how deep is the water there? is there a lift? how long to the Gulf proper? Is that even a selling point?

is there any real potential site to build a small cabin, or any type of accommodation? Can you notate the site (or sites)?

If someone wanted to build, what would there intake/output water system be? How much would that cost?

Are you selling something intrinsic, or something of actual value?

Nobody has to buy the island in order to watch birds or catch fish in that vicinity, do they?

Surely you didn't pay anything close to $2MM for the island without knowing the answers to the land utility questions I'm asking?

Old 10-29-2017, 05:51 PM

who is proficient at selling water-front properties there? Talk to them. What you are saying (whether you recognize or not):

"The mainland lot is worth $400K. The island will cost you 1.7MM so you can say you own an island."

Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Except for the sunset, dismal photos. Get the drone footage, show the mainland part with a label.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 AM

738 posts, read 764,262 times
Actually drove past this property last week, land part anyway.

I'd say first put a sign up with acreage and a map and number.

You need a survey and an aerial with the survey outline.

You need environmental to tell people how much is build-able and how much is wetlands. Looks like most of it is wetlands.

Is it COBRA designated or not? If it is it's uninsurable by any federally backed mortgage insurance which means it's undevelopable except by someone willing to forgo any federally backed financing.

What's the zoning on it? There's a commercial marina next door to the mainland side.

You might be asking too much price wise. It's not bulkheaded, has no infrastructure, is kinda a pain to get to but not very secluded.

Birding any good there? Can you duck hunt? etc.

Check out the traylor island listing on loopnet for a better idea(it's just south of you and 350 acres also main and island).

I wouldn't comment to people that Mustang and St. Joe's island are protective barriers. Key Allegro got pretty messed up in the hurricane and it was basically a similar island that had canals cut in it and subdivided.

As for where to market I'd list it with a high end residential brokerage with offices in Houston Austin and San Antonio and have their top mansion sales people down to walk it. Fair number of folks buy good ads in Texas Monthly for ranches and waterfront tracts.

Should probably get an appraisal just so you know what comps are and whether a buyer will be able to finance at the price you are asking.

You should keep in mind that because of the barge traffic in the channel and lack of a beach you aren't selling something super desirable. The only high value property on the back side of Mustang Island is the Fish Camp for example and that has a big house, lighted pier, infrastructure, etc. In other words you've got a ton of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate