Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide if we'd like to retire in an age 55+ community. (We are in our 60's.) Are those of you who are or have lived in such a retirement community happy that you moved there? What are the pros and cons of moving to such a community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Great question....

Also, put where you are located if you like it or don't like it....

Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I will be the 3rd person who is curious to the responses.

I do think this should be moved to the --RETIREMENT--- thread in order to get more responses.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
We're discussing it and DH is slightly adverse so I also am interested.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
I am not 55 or older yet, but my parents live in Sun City Carolina Lakes (in Lancaster County, SC). They love it...and they are extremely busy now, it seems like every day they have something to do. I can ask them to put together a list of pro's and con's if you'd like

Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Im watching this thread too! Hubbs and I are only in our 40s but
still think of doing this in our 60s. Prey tell everyone!
Greenchili

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
The last time I read the magazine--------"Where to Retire"-------the editor was asked what he will do when he retires.

He said-----"undecided " ?

I don't know if he was honest or just didn't want to offend the many --55+---communities who spend their advertising dollars in his magazine

Yes, an answer from " regular folks" who have nothing to gain or lose by giving their opinion would be nice.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM

136 posts, read 461,776 times
OK, I'll give this a shot. Although I live in a community in East Tennessee that is not age restricted the vast majority of people here are retired or near retirement.

Advantages:

1. It's quiet! No loud music, wild parties (well, at least they end early!), etc.

2. Most people are outgoing and friendly - they are here to meet new people and do fun stuff.

3. There are affinity groups galore. No matter what you want/like to do there are others here who will do it with you, and they have the time to do it.

4. The POA/HOA - there are rules that govern most everything, helping ensure property values and that you won't have a junk car in the yard next door.

5. A strong sense of community - people look out for each other and don't hesitate to volunteer to help neighbors in need of help.

Best summarized by a friend who described life here as "being in college without having to go to classes."

Disadvantages:

1. There is not a lot of diversity. Most of us are roughly the same age, socioeconomic status, and from the mid west or east coast. Diversity here is people who moved from California, and Democrats.

2. The POA/HOA - there are rules that govern most everything, and people who think it is their job to make sure people are following the rules.

3. There are people who are willing to spend money and people who aren't. Since our HOA/POA fees fund many of the community amenities and maintenance costs, this can be a real divisive issue at times.

Net. we enjoy very much where we live, but we make sure we travel frequently so we can have some time "outside the bubble."

Jeff

Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I will be the 3rd person who is curious to the responses.

I do think this should be moved to the --RETIREMENT--- thread in order to get more responses.
I also placed this thread on the Retirement section.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I am not 55 or older yet, but my parents live in Sun City Carolina Lakes (in Lancaster County, SC). They love it...and they are extremely busy now, it seems like every day they have something to do. I can ask them to put together a list of pro's and con's if you'd like
That would be great if your parents could give us their input! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate