Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

When we were looking, we arrived at one place before our realtor and were engaged by the local yenta. I rolled my eyes internally, but after a few minutes and being able to ask a few questions, it was obvious she was knowledgeable and willing to help and while she talked about herself, she didn't gossip about others. So while we didn't end up living in the place, I knew where the closest market was and which chain it was, what her utility bills ran, and a few other useful things I forget now. But she didn't seem nosey, she just liked knowing everyone and feeling useful. So it depends on your neighbor, but I agree it can be good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hi, I'm sure others have had this issue.
I've listed my condo in FL and I have an annoying nosy azz neighbor who has to engage people coming to look in conversation about the condo complex, I know this because she constantly texts me with this.

How do I politely but firmly ask her to STOP??? She is making me nuts and frankly she needs to mind her own business.
Where's your realtor during these encounters?

I can understand your concerns. Fair housing laws what they are these days, you certainly don't want someone acting like they represent you, unless it is your trained realtor. Do you have any idea of what she says?

Is she acting as a representative of the condo association? If she is, you may want to speak to the association.

I'd thank her just to keep it friendly, and as tactfully as possible I would try to dissuade her because you are paying a realtor.

Sounds as though this neighbor may be interfering with the realtor and the flow of being able to show the home if she is stopping buyers to gab. Perhaps you could focus on the "time" issue with this neighbor....and it won't seem like a personal attack.

Last edited by JanND; 11-10-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 05:14 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
On above... her realtor is probably not there. Buyer is probably with buyer's realtor, not the listing agent.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
This happens in Condos and in single family dwellings. A lot of people will talk to some of the neighbors before they will make an offer on a home. They want to know what type of neighbors they will be living around if they buy, and want to know of problems in the area. Neighbors want to know what kind of people the buyers are, and find if they will be compatible in that neighborhood.

You are not going to keep buyers and neighbors from talking.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm sure others have had this issue.
I've listed my condo in FL and I have an annoying nosy azz neighbor who has to engage people coming to look in conversation about the condo complex, I know this because she constantly texts me with this.

How do I politely but firmly ask her to STOP??? She is making me nuts and frankly she needs to mind her own business.
Is there no agent or someone w/the lookers? If so, that person should handle that.

That needs to be stopped. That happened to me once...a neighbor came outside & said something negative about the condo I was trying to rent, and the looker didn't rent it. She probably wouldn't have rented it, anyway, but I'll never know.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:08 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Where's your realtor during these encounters?

I can understand your concerns. Fair housing laws what they are these days, you certainly don't want someone acting like they represent you, unless it is your trained realtor. Do you have any idea of what she says?

Is she acting as a representative of the condo association? If she is, you may want to speak to the association.

I'd thank her just to keep it friendly, and as tactfully as possible I would try to dissuade her because you are paying a realtor.

Sounds as though this neighbor may be interfering with the realtor and the flow of being able to show the home if she is stopping buyers to gab. Perhaps you could focus on the "time" issue with this neighbor....and it won't seem like a personal attack.
My worry is that I'm in NJ and property is in Florida.
She is president of association, I am vice president. I will ask my agent if he has had any feedback. One of her mantras now is she wants to change bylaws to not allow any renters at all, currently owners can rent but it has to be a minimum of 90 days so it's not like it's a hotel. Thankfully all owners will have to vote on that, last year she wanted to change it to a 55 or over but owners voted that down.

The reason it bothers me is when I listed, and my apologies as I am not disparaging anyone, she commented to me, there are a lot of Hispanic moving from east coast of Fl to west coast of FL, I hope you keep in mind your neighbors will still be living here

My response was I have no idea who realtors will be showing too, I can not request they don't show to Hispanic people as it's ILLEGAL, or would I even if it was legal, and bottom line for me the only color I worry about is GREEN, the color of money. So my concern is she is just being snoopy to see who is being shown and would not put it past her to come up with something negative to dissuade a potential buyer that doesn't meet with her approval. If I find this is what is happening I may just have to return until sold and when they have a showing instead of running to mall or Publix just go sit out by pool to keep an eye on her.

Cape Coral has no diversity at all, very white bread, and they are happy most of the Hispanic people or any people of color live in Lehigh Acres or sections of Fort Myers. Not everyone is like this but a good portion of them are.

One of the many reasons I want to sell and never again will I buy a condo.

Last edited by njkate; 11-11-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-11-2017, 07:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I would say " I know you mean well, but a few potential buyers have changed their mind after speaking with you, so please do not engage anyone else in conversations about MY condo."

Easy and right to the point. No gray areas.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:47 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I suggest you contact your listing agent and ask her to find out if the neighbor is a problem. If the neighbor is a problem, your listing agent should take care of it. That's what you are paying her for, to arrange and smooth out a sale.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
Quote:
Do just that Ask her to STOP, firmly, yet politely

She doesn't have to comply but it's worth a try

This happened to us at a house...it was an open house and the neighbors were in there (why?? snooping) They weren't even sneaky about it and they were so creepy I didn't want to live near them and it kind of turned me off to the house.

I can see your concern....buyers may not want to live near her.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Do just that Ask her to STOP, firmly, yet politely

She doesn't have to comply but it's worth a try

This happened to us at a house...it was an open house and the neighbors were in there (why?? snooping) They weren't even sneaky about it and they were so creepy I didn't want to live near them and it kind of turned me off to the house.

I can see your concern....buyers may not want to live near her.
^^I agree . . . . there is a difference between buyers approaching current tenants/owners to ask about area than current tenants/owners approaching buyers, that is a red flag in itself.

I would not consider a place like this, this is a good indication people here are indeed nosy and will be in my business monitoring visitors and my goings and comings, run Forrest, run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate