Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 PM

857 posts, read 959,225 times

Advertisements

Are there any land enthusiasts out there? I hope to exchange some ideas with you about land buying and owning.

I bought my first acreage property last year, and now am looking at my second. I like these properties not because they give the highest returns, but because I love the features on them. My first acreage property is 1.5 acres sitting on the California coast; the ones I'm now looking at are all 5-20 acre lots in the Sierra Nevada, with some sort of water feature (river, creek, pond, etc). I find it a joy to simply stand on the property and know I own all the natural beauty in front of my eyes.

Of course, I can't completely avoid the return question. Already wife is nagging about "wasting money on non-productive assets". My answer to that is, my land will likely still appreciate, just may not be as fast as silicon valley homes; and I get the joy of owning the assets I want. Plus, it's really not that much money I am putting into this. In the below offering, for example, 14 acres only cost 80K.

https://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/fo..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

Do you think my thinking is sound? No matter how low the return, and even if I never get around to building a house on the acreage, I can't be too wrong with land ownership, such as of the above-linked property, can I?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
hopefully you can get a shot for it before it gets too bad! :-)

Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Beautiful, maybe not the best use of your resources but happiness is sometimes more important.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Land right around rivers creeks and ponds are beautiful, but probably the most restricted properties, in terms of being able to develop them. As more and more people move in, your undeveloped piece might become even more restricted than it is now, in an attempt to save the remaining habitat, buffer, greenspace, wetland, etc.

So if you're interested in return on investment, buy pieces that DON'T have those limitations, now or in the future. If you're interested in donating it to a conservation trust in the future.... then do that.

Exception would be VIEW properties without water features actually on the property...

Other exceptions would be to buy and build within the current setbacks, to preserve the right to use those lands in the future.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
Can't make a return if you don't have anything to sell

Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
I have always heard that land is a good investment. God is not making anymore.
Beautiful picture, do you at least pitch a tent or camper on your undeveloped land so you can enjoy it or is it you just like to own it?

Old 11-11-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Beautiful picture, do you at least pitch a tent or camper on your undeveloped land so you can enjoy it or is it you just like to own it?
I know I will get great pleasure in simply owning such a property. Before I have a chance to build a cabin on it, which I don't know when only because I got too many projects at hand right now, I will definitely go there maybe 3-4 times a year to camp and enjoy the place -- swimming, fishing, hiking, hunting, bird-watching, photography, or simply staring into the milky way at night.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
god may not be but man certainly is .

so many developments here in nyc sit on land fill where the water was.

battery park city was once water .

in many areas investors can't give their land away . raw land can be a poor investment . we had so many trying to get rid of land where we had a house in pa .

Old 11-11-2017, 02:28 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I know I will get great pleasure in simply owning such a property. Before I have a chance to build a cabin on it, which I don't know when only because I got too many projects at hand right now, I will definitely go there maybe 3-4 times a year to camp and enjoy the place -- swimming, fishing, hiking, hunting, bird-watching, photography, or simply staring into the milky way at night.
consider staying in a motel for 3 or 4x a year . it may be a lot cheaper than the taxes and lost opportunity on the money tied up invested in raw land .

we had a 2nd home in the pocono's and that walk in the woods grew stale in a few short years . after that there was not much to do if you were not fishing and hunting . we sold it in 2012 after 5 years of ownership . we were getting bored .

Old 11-11-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
consider staying in a motel for 3 or 4x a year . it may be a lot cheaper than the taxes and lost opportunity on the money tied up invested in raw land .

we had a 2nd home in the pocono's and that walk in the woods grew stale in a few short years . after that there was not much to do if you were not fishing and hunting . we sold it in 2012 after 5 years of ownership . we were getting bored .
I look from this perspective: Many people spend ten's of thousands of dollars just to create a fake water feature in their backyard. How much is a natural river/creek plus 10 acres of land worth? A 50-80K price tag seems very very cheap to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate