Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBFan View Post
Current price is $168......could lower down to about 163-164. $15k would be a huge decrease and would put our house under it's assessed value. A house with same sq. footage, same floorplan, same age....(virtually the same house structurally and from street) is price at $169,500 right now. Houses smaller than ours are priced in the 159k price point (1 story vs our 2 story), same size lot though.

We think it's priced right, and have had alot of traffic. I know I'm completely overreacting, but we just really want to be able to move into our new home and it's hard to have so little control over such an important decision.
I'm not saying you should reduce 15k. I was just using my example But it sounds like you have compettion with some high inventory and maybe you would have to reduce 7k (or some other number) or wait a few more months for it to sell. It depends how anxious you are to move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
As with Funky Chicken, I have sympathy for your position. It's a bad position to be in, and unfortunately your options are limited so it makes it feel even worse.

But I have to point out that assessed value is right in line with what you need to get for the house as numbers that are irrelevant to the current market value of the house. I've seen any number of houses that have sold for (or are sitting on the market below) their appraised value. That was a snapshot at one point in time, and things have changed since then.

Also, if you do have to sell be very careful about comparing your price to other similar homes on the market. The only thing you can tell about those prices are that they haven't gotten the home sold yet. You need to look at the prices of houses that have sold (including repairs, concessions, seller paying closing costs, etc) to see where the real market value is.

On the positive side, if you're having a hard time selling your house, don't assume your new builder will have any easier time with the house you're looking to move into. Perhaps they'd be willing to drop their price a bit to keep you as a customer, allowing you to drop the price on your current home a bit more?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:40 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
Quote:
If we are selling a house and put it on the market at one price and only have about $4-$5k of wiggle room....and we would like to make sure we sell the house within the next 2 months....would it be better to just drop the price or keep it the same and be able to offer money in the negotiation process. If we drop the price by $4k, we will not be able to offer closing costs, or any other monies.

We are in a bind b/c we don't have $10k of wiggle room. We need a certain amount in order to afford our next house. I know our realtor wasn't very happy when we told him what our bottom number was (mainly b/c he wouldn't be able to go as low and get a really quick sale).

We are really motivated to sell, but are in a tough spot.....any suggestions???

I sympathize with your position, but keep something in mind. When I hear sellers say, "We need a certain amount to afford our next house" it tells me two things. First, you may be attempting to buy more house than you can afford. Secondly, just because you need it doesn't make it legitimate. What if the person who owned the home you are buying had his priced, $4000, $5000 or even $15,000 higher than you were willing to pay, "Just because he needed it to afford his next house."?

Most people think they, or their real estate agent, sets the price for their home. The cold reality is that the market sets the price. Your house is only worth what a ready, willing and able buyer is ready to pay you at any given time. So, you have two choices; price it to sell, take a reasonable offer and move on - or sit tight and wait for someone who loves your house so much that they will pay your price. Now, given that this is a buyers market, which do you think will happen first?

Also, don't worry too much about what your neighbor has his house priced at. He hasn't sold it yet!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
If you are still seeing showings, then just do whatever you can do to make sure your house shows the nicest (i.e. declutter, do a little staging, etc.) but I wouldn't drop the price any more. If you're not seeing showings, you may need to reconsider your bottom line.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

We need a certain amount in order to afford our next house.

We are really motivated to sell, but .........
What does your need have to do with what a buyer is willing to pay?

Do you expect the buyer to care if you can afford yournext home, or not?

I do not get a sense of motivation, here. You are in a position of wanting, not needing a sale.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buberry View Post
Can someone explain what a "hotsheet" is?
Some of the mls systems have a highlighted listing post board...it's called a 'hot sheet'. It helps to bring the listing/change to the attention of the Realtors® if they read it.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 AM

237 posts, read 967,364 times
From experience. The only way we got an offer on our house was we really droped the price and put it under what the houses around us was selling for. The people still offered 10,000 less. Its a given these days that they are going to offer less because they know they can. So if you have no room for wiggle you have to offer it the 5,000 above what you want so the buyer can offer lower than your asking. Thats just my opinion. Some people will set it low and say priced right, no room for negotiation.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
If we are selling a house and put it on the market at one price and only have about $4-$5k of wiggle room....and we would like to make sure we sell the house within the next 2 months....would it be better to just drop the price or keep it the same and be able to offer money in the negotiation process. If we drop the price by $4k, we will not be able to offer closing costs, or any other monies.

We are in a bind b/c we don't have $10k of wiggle room. We need a certain amount in order to afford our next house. I know our realtor wasn't very happy when we told him what our bottom number was (mainly b/c he wouldn't be able to go as low and get a really quick sale).

We are really motivated to sell, but are in a tough spot.....any suggestions???
Your realtor was probably being very realistic to you, and you weren't happy with what he/said. You're asking for a quick sale, and I suspect that you were told you could not get a quick sale at that price.

Your realtor should have done a CMA to determine what the Active prices are, the Expired prices, and the Sold prices, along with the average days on market. That will tell you what to expect that your home will sell for in the average days on market. If you want to sell it faster, then you may have to lower the price.

The location and condition are also prime considerations.

It's difficult to put out a firm, no negotiation price, but if it's priced to sell, then you can do it.

If it looks like you can't sell the home at the price you need, then you just have to consider what is your best alternative.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM

273 posts, read 1,754,946 times
I wouldn't lower it 5k from 168k to 163k. Buyers who can afford 163k are going to be looking at houses from probably 150-175k, and may offer you 163k regardless of what your listing price is. You aren't going to get any different buyers by lowering it 5k. Everybody knows the price is negotiable. If your house is priced a little high for your neighborhood, just make sure it looks really nice to justify that price. You don't have to spend a lot of money, just de-clutter, clean like crazy, and keep the outside neat and tidy.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Current price is $168......could lower down to about 163-164. $15k would be a huge decrease and would put our house under it's assessed value. A house with same sq. footage, same floorplan, same age....(virtually the same house structurally and from street) is price at $169,500 right now. Houses smaller than ours are priced in the 159k price point (1 story vs our 2 story), same size lot though.

We think it's priced right, and have had alot of traffic. I know I'm completely overreacting, but we just really want to be able to move into our new home and it's hard to have so little control over such an important decision.
I don't understand why people are always pricing their homes according to what other people are pricing their homes at. Most sellers are delirious right now. You have to go by what has recently SOLD in your area. That is where your market is at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate