Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer houses built on a hill, in a valley or on a level lot?
On a hill 34 46.58%
In a valley 0 0%
On a level lot 36 49.32%
Don't care one way or the other 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer, a house on a hill, in a valley, or on a level lot?

Personally, I try to buy houses built on a hill (as long as the driveway isn't steep). I like being able to look out over nearby houses, and if there's a bad storm my house won't flood. Plus, my community isn't that high above sea level. So a house on a hill can have a nice basement, which means we have a room that's usually 5-10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house during the hot summers.

By the way, this was a a side topic touched on in another thread. Someone said she'd prefer a level lot to a house built on a hill. I wanted to respond but didn't want to high jack the thread, so I thought I'd start a new one. Kudos to the person who brought it up in the first place, it was a very interesting thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Aren't most houses built on hills - also built on level lots?

This solves view and storm/flood damage issues --- without the house sliding down the hill.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Provided I am not living in a mountainous region, I want a level lot.

My first house was at the bottom of a hill, and that was awful. When you live in a town full of multi-million dollar lake front homes and you make $30K a year (and rent for a 1 bedroom starts at $900-1000 with long waiting lists), you take what you can get in the $100-150K range and the lot doesn't get much consideration.

Current house has a level front yard and my very large back yard slopes downhill, then about 40 yards out, back uphill slightly. Not a level spot in the whole back yard. (Backyard is close to 3/4 of an acre.) This drive me crazy because it isn't usable. My family wanted to do a holiday barbecue at my house, but we would have to be out front, which is not ideal. No privacy. When my niece comes over, I have to set her pool up in the front yard and we play out there. I hate it. I would like to build a large deck in the back so I do have some usable space in the back, but my house is already over-improved, so it would be money wasted. I'm still on the fence, since this is not a forever home. I purchased during the winter- I didn't even SEE the backyard until the inspection day, and then it was still snow covered. I had did not realize that there wasn't a single level speck of land in all of the backyard until I owned the place. It wouldn't have prevented me from buying, as the inventory was very low, and my backyard is beautiful, but it is impractical.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Too many variables. Does the valley flood? Does the hill get lots of rain/snow so landslides are a possibility? What about other weather like tornadoes, or how about forest fires? Is it all alone or are their tons of houses around? What's the view?

As always, location - location - location is the biggest factor in your question.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
In snow country, a level lot. Non snow country on a hill.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Level lot, so there is no flooding, no slippery hills in winter, and no landslides during earthquakes and during heavy rain.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times
This is a fun thread!

Hill. I’ve seen way too many drainage issues on level lots - especially with flash flooding. We have to have at least a small slope to make my husband happy (engineer).

Base of a hill is a valley, no way. Mid way or up toward the top of a slope please. Even in snow country.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Level lot, so there is no flooding, no slippery hills in winter, and no landslides during earthquakes and during heavy rain.
^This. Gardening and walking much easier as well.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Level lot. Not in a flood plain. No question. I've seen houses in WV, PA, and the Ozarks where admonishing a child to "Go play in the yard" is a threat.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,101,553 times
If I lived in a first-world country?

I’d prefer a house in the valley because I might be dependent on carrying water from the river.

In a developing country? Or at least living with plumbing?

I’d be able to enjoy a little status with a home higher up on a hill.

Here & now ?

A level lot please! I’ve got kids, n inflatable swimming pools, n trampolines ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate