Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,581,793 times

Advertisements

The large box fans work the best. Been using them since the 70's. But I had one crazy neighbor who's crazier son was a gangbanger, and the fan trick didn't work with them even at full blast. The worst night was when they had a big party upstairs directly over me, and fired a shotgun through the bedroom wall over mine. I had gotten up to go potty in the night, couldn't sleep anyway, when they did that. Scared me to death! I was so glad when they got evicted. It was a 55, and over apt too. SE Colorado Springs was not the best area then. All kinds of weird things happened around there in the 2yrs I lived in that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,084,567 times
Difficult to control noise when sharing walls. Soundproof the unit if you own, google ‘drywall/sheet rock/green glue' . . .or sell/move to a top floor.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,201,030 times
I had this problem twice living on the 2nd floor of a condo complex and having neighbors above me. After trying many things, including talking to my landlord, leaving a nice note, speaking face-to-face, and having many reactions - none of which were positive, I came to the painful conclusion that there is indeed NOTHING you can do to solve this. It really comes down to poor construction of the units with little or no sound insulation in the walls or ceilings/floors.

I'll never forget in one of these condos, I complained to the landlord/owner about the issue. I was too naive back then to think they could do anything about it. I think I was angling to be released from the lease so I could escape the problem. Her response to me, said in a very aggravated tone, "Well what do you expect them to do, FLY across the room!" Ha! My answer was a resounding "YES!!!". Understand that I was at my wits end at this point. This couple above me played the piano (wife gave lessons out of their condo), the husband was a part-time flamingo dance performer and practiced at all hours of the day or night above my living room. And I could hear every bit of all of it very clearly. UGH! Just remembering this is making my blood pressure rise.

Both times, I realized the only solution was to move. Which I did. And until I finally purchased a home, I always made sure I lived on the top floor, no matter how many stairs I had to climb. Even then, I was plagued with noise from below and sides of me. That is when I decided that I needed to either rent or buy a house that didn't share any walls with anyone (i.e., like a townhome or condo).

Even living in a house, you can get crappy neighbors who party in their backyards till late into the night, rev their Harleys next to your bedroom window at 6AM, etc. (Both these things happened to me). So it's the luck of the draw with neighbors.

Now I live in a retirement community, even though I'm pretty young to live there and am NOT retired. But finally, finally... I have the peace and quiet I've looked for all my life. And it's a beautiful neighborhood with nice neighbors.

Never, never again will I share a single wall with another stranger. I just don't have the temperament to deal with these issues.

So long way of telling you that sadly, there really is nothing you can do to fix this. People will never take kindly to your request to walk softly, turn down their tv or stereo, stop having loud s*x, to shut up their barking dogs or screaming kids, etc... You must either resolve to live with it or move. Those are realistically your only two options. I feel for you cuz I've seen/heard it all and I know how miserable this can be.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 12-06-2017 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 AM

And now we have herds of leaf blowers, lol.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,246,684 times
first off, as some have asked - you should tell us that you own (per your prior posts) the condo.

Since they're not around when you're typically around, then I think you start with a note on their door when you get home, before they arrive at 8 pm. "This is kebas239, I live directly under you. You're probably not aware, but I can hear everything you do at night. When you get home, I'd like to meet you and see if there is a solution."

Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM

973 posts, read 917,227 times
Fight fire with fire

Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,504,084 times
We lived in an apartment last year during a relocation.

The family above us had a toddler who literally ran nonstop and jumped off furniture from 6 pm until midnight every night and then he woke up at 5 am and started again. I guess he got nice long naps in at daycare during the day because he sure as heck wasn't sleeping at home. Then their older son would ride his scooter around the apartment. It sounded like living under a bowling alley and the poor construction didn't help even though it was a new "luxury" complex.

Anyway, I did complain and I learned you basically have NO rights when it comes to noise like this and especially when it's normal activities (walking, children playing, etc) I did eventually learn to sleep through it with the help of those 3M earplugs

I literally pray that I never have to live sharing walls with another human being again. I will live in the tiniest tiniest house, a shack, before I ever willingly live in a condo or apartment again.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:48 AM

248 posts, read 443,613 times
I feel sorry for you . It is so frustrating . I had the same issue in my NY apartment .
I hope things work out.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
And now we have herds of leaf blowers, lol.
Yes, I have heard of leaf blowers.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Yes, I have heard of leaf blowers.
We were talking excessive, intrusive noise, and this is part of it that we can't escape. If it doesn't bother you, that's terrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate