Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM

110 posts, read 192,335 times

Advertisements

This just proves the point of doing your research before you make what is probably the largest purchase of your life. Don't just take realtors or loan officer's word as fact. Ask for their advice if you want but always always always fact check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Realtors won’t tell you that there is no broadband
We admit it, we know where the world wide web stops.... and we don't want anyone else to find out.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We admit it, we know where the world wide web stops.... and we don't want anyone else to find out.
LOL Oooooh like a secret society. Is there a secret handshake? Oh wait...don't tell me! You'll have to kill me! Eek!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd522 View Post
This just proves the point of doing your research before you make what is probably the largest purchase of your life. Don't just take realtors or loan officer's word as fact. Ask for their advice if you want but always always always fact check.
It's not just broadband. It's up to the buyer to work out a long list of things. Where is drinking water coming from and what is the water quality? Sewer? If septic, the condition of the system and an understanding of how it will be replaced when it eventually fails. Cell reception with the four major US providers.... AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint. Is there line of sight for DirectTV? What is the cable company and what services do they offer? What is the telephone company and what services to they offer? Is there city gas in the street? How does trash disposal work? What is the property tax rate and how do assessments work? What are the local toxic waste sources and how far away are they? For a condo, all the financial health information and likely assessments that are coming. Road noise? Airport noise? Toxic neighbors?

A realtor isn't going to tell you any of that.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's not just broadband. It's up to the buyer to work out a long list of things. Where is drinking water coming from and what is the water quality? Sewer? If septic, the condition of the system and an understanding of how it will be replaced when it eventually fails. Cell reception with the four major US providers.... AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint. Is there line of sight for DirectTV? What is the cable company and what services do they offer? What is the telephone company and what services to they offer? Is there city gas in the street? How does trash disposal work? What is the property tax rate and how do assessments work? What are the local toxic waste sources and how far away are they? For a condo, all the financial health information and likely assessments that are coming. Road noise? Airport noise? Toxic neighbors?

A realtor isn't going to tell you any of that.
Fire the agent who isn't helping with this stuff.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerlandgal View Post
Two families have purchased homes in Goshen Valley area of Church Hill, TN - a beautiful area - if you don’t count the car junkyards— but were not advised by realtors of the lack of broadband internet service. As people with children, businesses, and those trying to get an education this is a sad state of affairs. Welcome to the modern world of East Tennessee!
You are in the Sprint 4G coverage area. I don't have cable/Fiber in my area and use Sprint for my internet service. I have the XXL data package 40GB per month for 110 bucks.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 AM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I agree, most of that stuff ^ brought up by GeoffD up there is stuff that should at least come up when viewing any property... particularly rural properties.

Some of these are issues where the answers are actually contract contingencies in our market (Well and/or Septic Addendums).

Most are issues that the realtor should at least remind people to investigate. Even if the realtor doesn't actually ~know~ the answers, they should know who to ask to find out!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Fire the agent who isn't helping with this stuff.
So you know all about toxic neighbors, local hazardous waste issues from abutters, well water quality, and how to assess a septic system? I'm impressed.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
So you know all about toxic neighbors, local hazardous waste issues from abutters, well water quality, and how to assess a septic system? I'm impressed.
Oh, fer cryin' out loud.
The list was longer, and "helping" means "helping."

Meh. Good to know that one of us was impressed.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:16 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,485 times
Quote:
not personally, but you can believe a property a client of mine writes on is going to have a contingency in there so that a professional can speak to those items *if applicable

I don't know what a toxic neighbor is, luckily I've never had someone ask me about such a thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate