Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:42 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sharpydove;50488402]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post

Get your plumbing checked by a professional! We bought new in TX and found out quickly by a slow-drawing tub, that construction workers put trash and whatnot down the drain... pieces of drywall, cleaned up tools and paintbrushes, etc.
Same thing happened to our nephew this past spring. Inspector turned all the faucets on, tub, dishwasher. The kitchen sink backed up and would have overflowed on to new wood floors. Plumber found paper, gummed up pipes, drywall pieces, screws.

This is very common. Know someone who had pipes back up in a $2M home. I think its to get back at general contractor for low wages. Built a $200,000 or a $2M+ and good chance you are getting the same subs.

We are in our last house and we hired our own general to be out every day, cause we knew the one supplied wouldn't be. And custom made, knew many things we paid for could be overlooked. As they wer with neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Having sold numerous new construction homes, there's rarely anything earth-shaking found at the inspection. Usually a couple of things ( 2-6) that need adjustment/repair. Still god to get it, and definitely get the 11 month inspection, if it's part of your deal.
There is a difference between selling new construction homes and actually building one. No wonder you haven't found anything earth-shaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure what you think you are going to see at final walk through that a professional inspector didn't see a week earlier?
We want to ensure that if we are able to watch/catch for something, it would be worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed.
Most stuff noted at final walk through will be warranty items any way.
Our builder is notoriously slow in fixing warranty items. we'd rather have them fixed upfront than after closing.
Warranty means something that's broken after you move-in, it doesn't include things that need to be fixed currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Usually then the walk through is just cosmetic items like paint.
Are you serious? Being a real estate agent, i had hoped you would speak from experience. I have spoken to numerous neighbours and they all recommend to fix anything upfront and if you find anything at walk-through, defer closing until it's fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My husband however did his own inspection, We only found minor stuff like there was a big scratch in our island cabinet, insufficient insulation in the attic. Everything was fixed prior to closing.
Exactly. It needs to be fixed prior to closing and not wait until it's a warranty item unlike some realtors who think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
They often have restrictions on how much notice you must give for your inspection, the amount of insurance the home inspector carries, etc.
Thanks. We did notice they wanted independent inspector to have $1 Million insurance policy and workman's comp. It gets expensive for inspectors to carry that level of liability insurance.
This is one way of builders trying to discourage home owners from hiring one!

Old 12-25-2017, 09:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:

Are you serious? Being a real estate agent, i had hoped you would speak from experience. I have spoken to numerous neighbours and they all recommend to fix anything upfront and if you find anything at walk-through, defer closing until it's fixed.

I do believe you only read part of my post. I recommended (and always do) an Inspection prior to the major walk through. Then you give the Builder the report and say "Fix It". The Builder will have the items completed before the closing and walk through where you sign off on the items repaired. There are usually 2 walks before closing, one to find the issues and 1 to sign off they are fixed before you close.

Once you do the inspection, you're basically down to looking at issues that are cosmetic since the Inspector hopefully found all the other issues.

I would never buy a new construction home without an independent Inspection.

Reading is fundamental.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
There is a difference between selling new construction homes and actually building one. No wonder you haven't found anything earth-shaking.

We want to ensure that if we are able to watch/catch for something, it would be worthwhile.

Our builder is notoriously slow in fixing warranty items. we'd rather have them fixed upfront than after closing.
Warranty means something that's broken after you move-in, it doesn't include things that need to be fixed currently.

Exactly. It needs to be fixed prior to closing and not wait until it's a warranty item unlike some realtors who think otherwise.

Thanks. We did notice they wanted independent inspector to have $1 Million insurance policy and workman's comp. It gets expensive for inspectors to carry that level of liability insurance.
This is one way of builders trying to discourage home owners from hiring one!
Well, all this great clarifying detail you provide sure makes a difference, eh?

I stand by the fact that I've sold more new homes than you've bought in total, and I've been there from the first shovel of dirt more times than you've built.

the time to get an inspection is pre-drywall, as others have noted. That's when CONSTRUCTION problems are noted. At the end, it's a FINISHES inspection.

But the only thing you implied was "hey, we're getting ready to close on a new construction home, and yeah, we hired an inspector. But I'm worried he/she may not catch everything."

you also need to read your contract to see if you're allowed to delay closing for minor items or not. I'd guess that in most cases when it's not REALLY custom-built, that buyers agree to close and then get the work done after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate