Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,446 times

Advertisements

We've been having a little house envy lately and have made the mistake of going to open houses and now we are itching to move. We've been in our house 9 yrs, 2200 sq feet (don't need more space), not the perfect layout (would prefer ranch style). The house was built in 2006 by a custom builder, however the fit and finishes of the house are very builder grade. We've had to replace almost everything down to the door bell (because everything breaks). I even believe the door knobs were spray painted brass. We've had to replace all the door knobs. We have not done any major renovations yet, but the kitchen and bathrooms are builder grade too and will need to be renovated in the next 10 yrs (think particle board and veneer). I think the quality of our home bothers me the most. Sinking money into renovations is fine, but not sure it has good enough bones to justify it. We've walked through homes built in the 60's, 70's, and 80's that have been renovated throughout the yrs and the quality seems much better. Real doors, real cabinets... just seems built so much better. I'm just worried that our current house will end up being a money pit. We've had to pay on average $3,000 a year in major repairs and it's only 11 yrs old. We call it the plastic house...however it's in the perfect neighborhood, location, and great yard. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 12:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,596,257 times
Look at your future needs and plans. Will this house be a good fit? We're retired, so our house purchase was planned for what will probably be the rest of our lives. That means a ranch. Smaller (1561 sq ft) since it's just the two of us and occasional guests. It's also not so big that it will be a burden for the last person standing. We got to pick out things like the kitchen cabinets, counters and appliances, as well as lighting and flooring. So everything is the way we wanted it. It's on a quarter acre lot, so it's not too much to take care of on the outside.

So sit down and decide what's important to you. The three things I miss about our last house are the three car garage, the half bath and the gas fireplace. But we do just fine with a two car garage, two bathrooms and no fireplace.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:23 PM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We've been in our 2200 sq feet house 9 yrs, (don't need more space),
not the perfect layout (would prefer ranch style).

The house was built in 2006
We have not done any major renovations yet, but... will need to be renovated in the next 10 yrs
I'm just worried that our current house will end up being a money pit.

What would you do?
Live with it for another ten years then sell it AS IS.
Get the best price you can for it at that time.
Let the next owner do the upgrades when they do the remodeling.

Quote:
...have made the mistake of going to open houses
Stop doing that.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
How old are you? And do you plan to retire in place?

I'm in my mid 50s but with a young kid (8th grade). I bought my house 3 years ago because it's a great location and neighborhood and had the schools I wanted for him. But I knew going in that it wouldn't be my last house because it's a 2 story (plus basement) and no full bath on the first floor. So at some point I will be moving on to a ranch or more likely a single floor condo.

If you are within a decade or so of retirement AND you plan to retire where you currently live AND you can find and afford a ranch home in that location that also has the great yard, etc, then I'd personally go ahead and move into what would likely be your last/forever home. If you are a lot further from retirement (too hard to predict that far into the future) or if you'd be giving up too much in terms of location, then it may be worth staying and doing the upgrades you want to do that make it the home that you want to live in

Old 12-24-2017, 02:18 PM

757 posts, read 2,084,446 times
We will probably retire in 15 yrs, but the kids will be in college then. We plan to move to the mountains then... So this won't be our retirement location. We are in an area that it seems everybody moves every 5 yrs or so and it's no big deal to move. The houses appreciate and there are good jobs in the area. Even a new house is enticing, at least at the 15 yr make it won't need a major overhaul compared to this one which will be 25 years old. There's a lot of new constrution here, but it comes at a much higher price tag.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:28 AM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
We will probably retire in 15 yrs, but the kids will be in college then.
We plan to move to the mountains then...
When the kids are all off to college... start planning the sell.

otoh... 15 years is a long time to want to be elsewhere.

Next up is to sell the house NOW. This spring.
With nothing done to it beyond clearing and cleaning and MINOR fixing.

Washing walls NOT painting them.
Carpet shampoo NOT replacing it.
No upgrades of any sort including appliances.

Get the best price you can for it AS IS.
Let the next owner do the upgrades when they do the remodeling.

Then buy the sort of house with the level of finish quality you prefer.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:20 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,627 times
If you decide to move, be sure you have plenty of extra money in case you need it. I moved two years ago, and it was a great decision because I love my new home ... no buyer's remorse. That said, there are costs in moving. It's not just the movers; you also have the costs of repairing and cleaning the old home, closing costs, inspections, surveys, and so on for the new home, and also the cost of fixing up the new home the way you want it. And if the new home costs more than the old home sold for, then there is that, too.

Like Mr. Rational said in the last post, do not do upgrades of the old house. Do them to the new house, if needed.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,364,409 times
Life is short. Do what makes you happy. Be sure you can financially afford the things you do or utimately you won’t stay happy.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,086,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Life is short. Do what makes you happy. Be sure you can financially afford the things you do or utimately you won’t stay happy.
I second this

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,937,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I second this
I agree also. As long as you can afford it and it doesn't hurt your finances down the road, get a house that makes you happy - especially if you're going to be in it for 15 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate