Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 PM

294 posts, read 292,650 times

Advertisements

I am in one of these types of apartments now. We sold our house and moved to a new location and are looking for a house. We considered extended stay hotels but they weren't ideal because we had cats. Also, we felt we would have more privacy in an apartment.

We've been here 3 weeks and love it. Basically it is a service we are using. They don't own the apartments. Rather they rent out units in certain select apartment complexes.

We have a 2 month rental that we can extend month to month. The biggest downside is cost. We are paying $125 a day for what is a fairly basic 2 bedroom apartment. It is in a very nice complex and great area. But, we could have rented directly from the complex for much less money.

I asked the service why we should pay the extra cost since we could do it all on our own. She was upfront that we could. Even if we included all costs, it would be cheaper to do it on our own. We could sign our own short terms lease with the apartment. We could arrange utilities on our own. We have furniture (that is in storage). We could have moved some of it to the apartment.

And...at first we were going to do it. But, we were on a short time frame (from day our buyers first saw our house to closing was only 15 days). And, doing it through the apartment was unwieldy. We would have to put in an application. Then they would do a credit check. Then we would have to wait to hear back. Then we could sign a lease but would have to go there physically to do it (we didn't live in the area). We would have to make sure when we moved that some furniture came to the apartment and the rest to storage. Actually working the mechanics of this and scheduling it with the closing were tough.

Still -- we could have done all of that but the hassle factor was huge at a time when we were under time crunch. In the end we decided it was worth it to us not to have to deal with the hassle factor. With the service we did everything by email. We paid by credit card so it was all very easy. The apartment had all the utilities, furniture, towels, dishes, utensils, everything except our personal items. I wouldn't want to pay to do this for long term but for a couple of months it is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You mean like an apartment with a deed name under the corporation? If that's what you are asking about, then I would say you shouldn't have a problem. Some people just like to put the house under a corporate name, so they won't be personally liable if anything happen to the tenant who live in the apartment.
No they are usually apartments in a complex that companies lease for employees working there temporarily.

I worked in Houston for 5 months, but instead of taking corporate apartment I had the option of getting a housing stipend, and chose that. I wanted to pick where I lived even temporarily. I signed a 5 month lease in a fancy complex in an awesome part of the city, went to Rent-A-Centers corporate division (which furnishes corporate apartments) and rented an entire apartment of furniture, and bought dishes and pots at big lots (I could have gotten a package at the furniture rental that covered all that), and still made money using their stipend vs letting them put me somewhere.

But by and large, corporate apartments are in nice complexes (area probably depends where job is) and the furniture, etc is nice. They just cost much more money than an empty apartment in the same complex. I looked into them too, and in a complex that was $1100 a month, a corporate rental was over $2000.And that was many, many moons ago.

Many complexes have short term leases (although you pay a premium for it, I paid I think $200-300 more per month than I would have with a yearly at the same complex) and the furniture rental was easy. They come set it up and take it all away. Go to apartments dot com and put in short term rental.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM

90 posts, read 113,054 times
I work for a corporate housing company! It is pricey, but you really can't beat it when you're in between homes. They are much roomier than hotels and have a full kitchen. And all utilities/cable/internet are included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate