U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:34 AM

10,170 posts, read 6,953,867 times

Advertisements

I don't know anyone who habitually does this, but it could be they wanted to test the waters and see if they could get the price they wanted. I dunno. People sometimes have plans change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 12:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 4,681,994 times
Could be upcoming empty nesters testing the water? Potentially all but one of the kids have moved out and they are looking at downsizing options but only on good offer terms.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 PM

13,944 posts, read 13,068,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
I think this true for many people. For 110% of market value I don't think I'd consider moving. We love living where we are and our community. We are also not house poor - living above our means, which means we spend more ($) enjoying ourselves than just paying for our house (many people in our area are overextended). Now...if someone would offer me 150% of market value, I might consider it.
I feel the exact same way! You have to make it worth the effort of moving. Moving isn't cheap nor is it easy. Offer me 150% and we can start chatting. Anything less isn't worth my time responding. I have ZERO interest in selling my home.

One of our neighbors wanted to buy our house because his wife doesn't like us ....we're not snooty enough for her. I flat out said no. We're going to be remodeling/adding on this year and they know that means we aren't going anywhere. For me to sell to them, starting price is 200% market value or tax assessment.....whichever is higher.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 PM

11,584 posts, read 5,460,798 times
We listed our home 3 separate times before it sold. The first time was in 2010 right as the market crashed, so after a few months and very big low ball offer we removed it. We listed a second time in 2014 when the market started to rebound a bit and after a month we had to remove it again because my husband was in a horrible car accident and he was in the hospital for a long time having several surgeries. The last time we listed it was last year and it sold after a week of listing.

I think there's different reasons why people list their homes and remove them soon after. Some people remove the listing during the holidays, some have family situations like mine, others just like to test the waters to see if anything comes from it.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 491,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
I think this true for many people. For 110% of market value I don't think I'd consider moving. We love living where we are and our community. We are also not house poor - living above our means, which means we spend more ($) enjoying ourselves than just paying for our house (many people in our area are overextended). Now...if someone would offer me 150% of market value, I might consider it.

Agreed. 110%, that would be tedious. Then I'd have to rebuy another house, pay closing cost, lose money moving, effort etc.. Not worth the amount. But 150% like mentioned, it would be towards an bigger or nicer home

Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 PM

11,223 posts, read 5,739,386 times
One home that was on my list came on the market in 2013. Way to high priced. They got two offers and it fell thru. Took it off the market and six months later reduced the price 50 k. Now it was in my range. So I made an offer...20k below their price. They declined. (Bad mistake!). Again they take it off the market. A land developer bought the acres behind them...Started putting up gawdy townhomes..And suddenly these folks knew they had to move. Their agent started calling all us who put in a bid...We declined. We saw what this new development was going to cause....More traffic and more taxes...Took these folks 2 1/2 yrs to unload that beautiful home. It sold for 20k less then what I had offered. It was a gorgeous home...But no longer had the lovely farm views...I'm glad I didn't get it..Cuz 8 months later I lost my lucrative job and learned how to pinch pennies. Bless those who can be so confident they have a job for 15-20 years more. .

Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,974,361 times
I agree with a previous comment, I found it's usually empty nesters doing this. I found it extremely annoying as a buyer last year.

Folks who do this need a therapist more than a real estate agent

Old 01-08-2018, 07:08 AM

21 posts, read 13,817 times
I'm sure some people do it for ego/confidence boosting purposes! It reminds them how much their home is worth and it may put them in front of a few buyers who will give the homeowner an audience feel powerful.

Very trollish behavior!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:23 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,245,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, people do that. Particularly if the offer is fat.
When they can afford to live elsewhere temporarily before buying.

Actually, plenty of people move out of the house to sell it, on their own terms, at their own pace.
I moved out of my last house and listed it for sale 8 months later.....house sold in a week for over asking price.

Neighbor recently sold, she moved all of her stuff out (into storage) and staged her whole house (sold in 2 weeks for full ask).

Old 01-08-2018, 07:24 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,245,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
my house is ALWAYS on the market. It's never been in MLS, but if someone wants to pay me ~ 110% of market value, it'll be theirs and soon.
Funny, I always joke that if you buy a realtor's own home you are overpaying for it! I guess I was right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate