Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
The day that HOA tells the owner they cant fly a flag, is the day that i will burn down the village. It does happen. They are a joke and will remain a joke. You can have a committee but should be no rights given to the HOA to allow liens and subject fines to the owner. Basically should be no legal actions privileges to the HOA group.
There was a federal lawsuit about that in the Tampa area some time ago because of a crazy HOA there and the HOA lost. The FL HOA laws are pretty strict, but there are some HOAs in Florida that are absolutely out of control because busybodies get on the board and then complain about cars parked in driveways or parking spots instead of garages or other such nonsense.

The HOA should be able to have liens and fines to the owner if the person is not paying the HOA dues, otherwise those dues fall on the rest of the community to pay via increased fees or a special assessment. HOAs can also foreclose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We looked a very cute condo community which was super cheap and near my sons house. Hmmmm, we thought, maybe we could sell our house, pay cash for the condo and bank the rest. So we asked for a copy of the covenants.

Among other things they require residents to take in their patio furniture from November to April. It’s a condo without a garage. What am I supposed to do with the patio furniture? I quickly realized that we are not cut out to be condo people.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There was a federal lawsuit about that in the Tampa area some time ago because of a crazy HOA there and the HOA lost. The FL HOA laws are pretty strict, but there are some HOAs in Florida that are absolutely out of control because busybodies get on the board and then complain about cars parked in driveways or parking spots instead of garages or other such nonsense.

The HOA should be able to have liens and fines to the owner if the person is not paying the HOA dues, otherwise those dues fall on the rest of the community to pay via increased fees or a special assessment. HOAs can also foreclose.

That should never ever ever..EVER be allow to happen. Period. I dont care how much debt you have left on that park in the center of the community. Like i said, HOA should never EVER have any power to take away a person home via foreclose or lien against property. If you have a community park or pool and dont allow them access to those features, but that should be about far as you any HOA should go with it.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The HOA found out someone had been letting someone else live in his garage.

If my friend fell on hard times, I, as an American, ought to be able to let him sleep on my couch or live in my garage until he could stand on his own two feet again. Crazy HOAs is as un-American as it gets.

Who wants to bet the aforementioned HOA is ruled by a powercrazed busybody?

In many, or maybe most, counties there are ordinances against living in your garage, at least in America. In Mexico, probably not.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
What if an owner owes more than a few thousand $ in unpaid dues, what other way can the HOA attempt to collect the unpaid fees? That is not fair to the homeowners who pay their dues if no action is taken.

In most cases the HOA sends an intent to lien and the owner pays the dues and foreclosure is never pursued.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We looked a very cute condo community which was super cheap and near my sons house. Hmmmm, we thought, maybe we could sell our house, pay cash for the condo and bank the rest. So we asked for a copy of the covenants.

Among other things they require residents to take in their patio furniture from November to April. It’s a condo without a garage. What am I supposed to do with the patio furniture? I quickly realized that we are not cut out to be condo people.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
That should never ever ever..EVER be allow to happen. Period. I dont care how much debt you have left on that park in the center of the community. Like i said, HOA should never EVER have any power to take away a person home via foreclose or lien against property. If you have a community park or pool and dont allow them access to those features, but that should be about far as you any HOA should go with it.
I think they should be able to place a lien - since anyone can for anything - but I agree they should not be able to foreclose.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:

In our community we have storage units that are like little 8' x 5' rooms. We don't have to bring in our patio furniture, but they could be used for that if you wanted.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:30 PM

14,480 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:

Perhaps it would become projectiles during winter storms if left out?

Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
^^ rent a storage unit Harpaint. It'll help it last longer not to be exposed to the elements. Don't know the location but if winds are storng there in the winter,
your furniture could end up doing damage to someone elses unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HOAs help maintain property value, in most cases.
The homes that maintain or grow their property values are in Guard gated HOA's.

I'm from the midwest, never lived in an HOA till I moved to Vegas. Now I will never live outside one.

The world is full of jerks, don't care to have my neighbor working on his car in his yard or an appliance on the porch next to my 7 figure house. Or the ones whose lives are out of control and sell drugs or paint their house purple cause they can. And by God NO ONE is telling them what they can and can't do. They got a chip on their shoulder and they will do what they damn well please.

The HOA rules are simple, be nice, treat other as you would want to be treated - in a more advanced legal form.

The examples I see posted on here are mostly from people who don't live in them and fall for the fake news stories.

When buying HOA's rules don't just pop up on you. You are given the rules, when you make an offer to read and see if during the contingent time, if you think you can live with them.

Why do people put their signature (which is their word) on the HOA form when buying. There is a form you sign at closing, agreeing to even foreclosure if you don't pay your HOA bills. Don't be a dead beat. The rest of us don't want to pay your share of HOA dues. They can always sell their home rather than go into foreclosure.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 01-09-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate