Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I'm guaranteed safe when I come home at midnight. In Vegas, outside a guard gated community, no one can say that.
No. Your security risks are lower, but no guard at a gate or roving patrol can ever GUARANTEE your safety.

Burglaries in The Dominion have residents on alert - San Antonio Express-News

Article is a few years old, but reminds us that even layered security guarantees nothing. Please do not get complacent because you have a gate guard and a guy rolling around in a Prius with a light bar on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I like my HOA neighborhood and would buy here again in a second. That being said, I don't find the board to be overly invasive or punitive. We have very reasonable covenants, and those out of compliance are given plenty of time to correct violations. To each, his own, but I've been very satisfied with the way our community is run. As for the linked article about keeping garages open, that's weird, and I don't think it will stand up to a lawsuit, which I'm sure is coming if it hasn't already.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
I just watched the video the OP posted.
That's one of the more pathetic video's I've seen.

"Here I'll pay the $200 fine, just give me a month to get my stuff out.."
and a kid saying "I think it's a bad idea. I hope it does change."

An HOA telling people they have to leave their garage doors open during the day or face a $200 fine and that's all ya got??

Surely.....

Surely.....

there are more people speaking up.
lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
The requirement has been rescinded.

Auburn, California community can close its garage doors again | The Sacramento Bee

Also, this is why it was made a requirement in the first place:

"James Croci, a landlord who owns two units at Auburn Greens, said people had a mistaken impression of what was happening there. The sprawling development was built 40 years ago as a collection of mostly fourplex apartment buildings with open carports beneath the upper units. The community’s lengthy rulebook lists the carports as common property to be maintained by the HOA, he said.

Over time, some owners had installed garage doors on their carports, enclosing them. Illegal tenants or transients sometimes slept there unnoticed, Croci said. They’d slip in through unlocked side doors or garage doors, he said.

“You’re not allowed to install garage doors,” he said. “The ones you see were grandfathered in.”

The development, originally built to attract retirees, had become plagued with crime but was being cleaned up, with rising property values, Croci said. Forcing all owners to open their garages for a time allowed property managers to see problem units and take steps, he said."
Thanks for the update. This makes a lot of sense!

Old 01-11-2018, 10:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It makes a ton more sense, I agree. Much ado about nothing!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan
The requirement has been rescinded.

Auburn, California community can close its garage doors again | The Sacramento Bee

Also, this is why it was made a requirement in the first place:

"James Croci, a landlord who owns two units at Auburn Greens, said people had a mistaken impression of what was happening there. The sprawling development was built 40 years ago as a collection of mostly fourplex apartment buildings with open carports beneath the upper units. The community’s lengthy rulebook lists the carports as common property to be maintained by the HOA, he said.

Over time, some owners had installed garage doors on their carports, enclosing them. Illegal tenants or transients sometimes slept there unnoticed, Croci said. They’d slip in through unlocked side doors or garage doors, he said.

“You’re not allowed to install garage doors,” he said. “The ones you see were grandfathered in.”

The development, originally built to attract retirees, had become plagued with crime but was being cleaned up, with rising property values, Croci said. Forcing all owners to open their garages for a time allowed property managers to see problem units and take steps, he said."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Didn't see that post! Thanks for the info.
ok, this makes a bit more sense.

I feel better now.
People weren't quite as spineless as I thought they were.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Didn't see that post! Thanks for the info.
ok, this makes a bit more sense.

I feel better now.
People weren't quite as spineless as I thought they were.
Or crazy, lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
Update, the garage doors don't need to be kept open, as per TV report on KRCR TV station.
Rules come, rules go, nothing set in stone. Relax.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Diane, I'll be frank. I don't trust you enough to give you the power to put a lien on my house because I don't like the same flowers that you do. You act rational now, until when you decide that you like a certain kind of flower and you make up a rule to force everyone else to only have that kind of flower. If they don't agree, you put a lien on their house.

My cousin took my extreme position, too, after his HOA came up with a rule that said no car can be visible from 10pm to 6am. People couldn't even park in their own driveway overnight. What if your family had more than 2 cars? Well, too bad said his HOA. That rule was the last straw. He got the hell out of there soon after.

To me, HOA is like a position of dictatorship waiting for people who don't have anything better to do so they try to bully other people.

Sorry, again I don't trust you enough to give you the power to bully me around in my own home. I have always lived in homes that didn't have HOAs and we all kept our property values just fine. We have always respected our neighbors and their decisions on what color paint to put on their homes and what kind of flowers they put in their front garden.
It's been hit or miss for us but that's the problem, you never quite know if you end up dealing with sensible Hoa or an extreme one. The last one we had had a team go out Sunday afternoons looking for infractions and cited our neighbors for painting their garage doors a color that when the sun shone at a certain angle was offensive shade. They were ordered to repaint.

We have just put a bid on a house with no hoa and the neighborhood is lovely. I'm not against hoa's but am extremely wary of them.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
I'm all for a good HOA & I've reached the conclusion that the reason we have HOAs is because of the folks who are so dead set against them. Those are the folks who are most likely to not properly maintain the real estate or paint the garage door purple or have junk cars sitting on the front lawn. If you want to live like that, go ahead, but please not in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate