U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 AM

6,156 posts, read 3,430,217 times

Advertisements

Community upset after HOA tells them to leave garage doors open or face $200 fine | WNCN

Quote:
AUBURN, Calif. (WCMH) – Members of a California community are upset after their homeowners’ association told them they need to keep their garage doors open during the day.

A list left with homeowners in the Auburn Greens subdivision is giving many residents a cause for concern. It mandates leaving garage doors up from 8 a.m. through 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, KTXL reported.

Residents who fail to keep their garage door up face a $200 fine and an administrative hearing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,863,912 times
I keep seeing this story, it's been shared around facebook... but it never has any explanation for why.... what is the goal?

They look better closed... So something is missing here.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:19 AM

BTW... avoiding HOAs at all cost is a fairly extreme position also. Not all HOAs care about your paint colors or your garage doors.

I am president of our HOA, and all we do is maintain our half mile stretch of private road. No nosy design committees... just a private road that needs to be graded twice a year. We split costs and collect dues - $25 a month covers it.

I encourage everyone who wants to buy in an HOA neighbhorhood to read the bylaws. Find out, before deciding.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
BTW... avoiding HOAs at all cost is a fairly extreme position also. Not all HOAs care about your paint colors or your garage doors.

I am president of our HOA, and all we do is maintain our half mile stretch of private road. No nosy design committees... just a private road that needs to be graded twice a year. We split costs and collect dues - $25 a month covers it.

I encourage everyone who wants to buy in an HOA neighbhorhood to read the bylaws. Find out, before deciding.
Diane, I'll be frank. I don't trust you enough to give you the power to put a lien on my house because I don't like the same flowers that you do. You act rational now, until when you decide that you like a certain kind of flower and you make up a rule to force everyone else to only have that kind of flower. If they don't agree, you put a lien on their house.

My cousin took my extreme position, too, after his HOA came up with a rule that said no car can be visible from 10pm to 6am. People couldn't even park in their own driveway overnight. What if your family had more than 2 cars? Well, too bad said his HOA. That rule was the last straw. He got the hell out of there soon after.

To me, HOA is like a position of dictatorship waiting for people who don't have anything better to do so they try to bully other people.

Sorry, again I don't trust you enough to give you the power to bully me around in my own home. I have always lived in homes that didn't have HOAs and we all kept our property values just fine. We have always respected our neighbors and their decisions on what color paint to put on their homes and what kind of flowers they put in their front garden.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,050,952 times
HOAs help maintain property value, in most cases.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I keep seeing this story, it's been shared around facebook... but it never has any explanation for why.... what is the goal?

They look better closed... So something is missing here.
The HOA found out someone had been letting someone else live in his garage.

If my friend fell on hard times, I, as an American, ought to be able to let him sleep on my couch or live in my garage until he could stand on his own two feet again. Crazy HOAs is as un-American as it gets.

Who wants to bet the aforementioned HOA is ruled by a powercrazed busybody?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HOAs help maintain property value, in most cases.
Property value maintain property value.

Giving HOAs the power to put a lien on people's homes because they don't have the right flowers in the garden in the name of maintaining property value is like Germany giving a guy with a mustache absolute power in the name of making Germany great again.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Diane, I'll be frank. I don't trust you enough to give you the power to put a lien on my house because I don't like the same flowers that you do. You act rational now, until when you decide that you like a certain kind of flower and you make up a rule to force everyone else to only have that kind of flower. If they don't agree, you put a lien on their house.

My cousin took my extreme position, too, after his HOA came up with a rule that said no car can be visible from 10pm to 6am. People couldn't even park in their own driveway overnight. What if your family had more than 2 cars? Well, too bad said his HOA. That rule was the last straw. He got the hell out of there soon after.

To me, HOA is like a position of dictatorship waiting for people who don't have anything better to do so they try to bully other people.

Sorry, again I don't trust you enough to give you the power to bully me around in my own home. I have always lived in homes that didn't have HOAs and we all kept our property values just fine. We have always respected our neighbors and their decisions on what color paint to put on their homes and what kind of flowers they put in their front garden.
Our HOA doesn't have the power to put a lien on your house over flowers or any other reason. It has very limited role of taking care of the road. That's it.... nothing else. I agree with you on overly restrictive HOAs! What I'm trying to tell you is, not all HOAs are the same and it's good to actually read the documents when considering buying a home. That's it... nothing else.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 AM

1,064 posts, read 731,727 times
The car thing would be a deal breaker for me. My van is handicapped accessible and too tall for the garage. Fortunately I’d be able to sue the pants off the HOA and win if push came to shove. But yeah, I can deal with minimal HOA, but too often they don’t seem to stay that way. Not a fan.

The property we are looking to build on does have one, unfortunately, but they seem more interested in basic maintenance of the lawn and road than anything else. We shall see.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Our HOA doesn't have the power to put a lien on your house over flowers or any other reason. It has very limited role of taking care of the road. That's it.... nothing else. I agree with you on overly restrictive HOAs! What I'm trying to tell you is, not all HOAs are the same and it's good to actually read the documents when considering buying a home. That's it... nothing else.
Rules change. The fact that the HOA exists at all and there's a covenant makes it possible for the rules to change in the future.

When my cousin bought his home, there were no rules regarding flower colors, cars, etc. All those came after.

The next question I usually get is why people like my cousin and I aren't more active in committees and whatnot. He's an engineer. I'm an engineer. I manage construction projects to give you guys bridges to drive on and offices to work in. I shouldn't have to be worrying about my 100 million dollar project and whether a soccer mom will put a lien on my house at the same time.

I'll just agree to disagree on this one. I have family members who have been royally screwed over by their respective HOAs. My spouse and I own a real estate company. We will never invest in properties that have an HOA. Too many crazy people out there who have too much time on their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate