Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people's experiences here were with the Zillow "zestimate."

I've heard some people say it's worthless.

For my property, it was was about 5% higher than the sale price. It did a bunch of weird things once the listing attracted activity, jumping all over the place & settling on a somewhat higher than expected number. The sale price was pretty accurate to what Zillow said about 2-3 months prior to listing.

I have to say, it was more accurate than my agent's initial pricing, which was about 7% too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
so Zillow's final value was 5% high, and your agent's initial value was 7% high?

Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so Zillow's final value was 5% high, and your agent's initial value was 7% high?
Precisely.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
It's a mathmatical formula. Zillow is only as accurate as your house is average.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:17 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
The sale price (market value) is determined by many different factors, not all of which can be captured in a one-size-fits-all Zillow estimate. Stil, Zillow estimates offer a wide range of advantages, (some similar to real-time comps), but, should not be used as the 'final authority' in setting a sales price or selling a property.

Frankly, if a Zillow estimate is 5-percent higher than what you actually sold the property for, it's served it's intended purpose. Most would rather list their property +/- 5-percent high to leave room for some inevitable buyer negotiation. Likewise, if a buyer wants to buy a property, but, thinks it may be listed 5-percent above the market (or Zillow estimate), they will likely reflect that in their offer. In a hot market where there are multiple offers, neither the Zillow estimate or the asking price are the deciding factor in what the buyer is willing to pay.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...al-values.html

Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The sale price (market value) is determined by many different factors, not all of which can be captured in a one-size-fits-all Zillow estimate. Stil, Zillow estimates offer a wide range of advantages, (some similar to real-time comps), but, should not be used as the 'final authority' in setting a sales price or selling a property.
can you share these advantages that the Zestimate has?

at least on a Redfin automated value, they tell you the comparable homes that sold that fit into their algorithm.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:04 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Just wondering what people's experiences here were with the Zillow "zestimate." I've heard some people say it's worthless. .
In my case it wasn't even close. And, you heard right. Also their tax estimates are way off. My property tax was $990/yr. Their estimate was $120/mo.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:44 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
In my case it wasn't even close. And, you heard right. Also their tax estimates are way off. My property tax was $990/yr. Their estimate was $120/mo.
If they do a tax estimate at all it would be based on their estimated sales price value. Probably more then your county shows as a value. My tax history is right-pulled from county records I believe.

My townhome was built in 1972 and the county shows it at 812 sqft because it is a split level with the common area below grade. Yes the county still assess' it same value as neighboring house. The Zillow estimate is optomistic IMHO. There are 5 properties in the association for sales that are also over 100 DOM and overpriced. And that overpriced value is on the real estate agent not zillow.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:58 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
As an agent, I always take a look at the zestimate for homes when taking a new listing or working with buyers interested in specific homes as customers frequently will quote the zestimates to me.

I've found that the zestimates are closest to actual market values when the surrounding homes are all similar in size and price.

If the next door neighborhood is a lower or higher neighborhood than the subject home, it skews things.
If the subject home has more or less features than neighboring sold homes, it skews things.
Foreclosures and fixer uppers skew things.

Back when I sold my previous home, it was located within a neighborhood going through a lot of short sales and foreclosures at the time. The zestimate undervalued my home by approximately 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate