Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

While I do not like it, if you "signed" them in then they are entitled to something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:13 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
While I do not like it, if you "signed" them in then they are entitled to something.
On what grounds? Why not explain your position since it's different from most people's?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Any updates OP???

Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
This "sign in sheet," was it detailed? More info besides names, address and phone? Did the form require your signature? Was there a paragraph of random disclosures above your signature? Or was this a simple sign-up, name and agent that came with you?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
On what grounds? Why not explain your position since it's different from most people's?
I agree with johngolf. The OP went to the development alone beforehand, then came back with the realtor he claims is "stalking" them and introduces him to the builder as his realtor. It sure looks like you wanted that realtor to represent you in negotiations with the builder. If you didn't, why did you bring him along, for a joyride? While I am asking questions, why did you switch realtors? If you hadn't dumped the "stalking" realtor, and purchased the home with him negotiating the deal instead of this new realtor, you would owe him a commission.

I am not a real estate broker or attorney, but whether a commission needs to be paid will depend on what state this is in, and whether these actions created an agency relationship according to the laws of that state.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:24 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:

I agree with johngolf. The OP went to the development alone beforehand, then came back with the realtor he claims is "stalking" them and introduces him to the builder as his realtor. It sure looks like you wanted that realtor to represent you in negotiations with the builder. If you didn't, why did you bring him along, for a joyride? While I am asking questions, why did you switch realtors? If you hadn't dumped the "stalking" realtor, and purchased the home with him negotiating the deal instead of this new realtor, you would owe him a commission.

I am not a real estate broker or attorney, but whether a commission needs to be paid will depend on what state this is in, and whether these actions created an agency relationship according to the laws of that state.
A sign in sheet is not a contract or agreement to pay commission anywhere that I've heard. Unless there's more to the story I doubt there's a valid claim by the agent.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 AM

Regardless of whether there is commission due or what a sign in sheet means, I think that this should be a cautionary tale for all. Regardless of the outcome, it has create stress and a mess for the poor buyer.

It's a cautionary tale because sometimes we see advice here from agents that consumers should "just call an agent". Like if they see an ad for a house they like - "just call a buyer's agent and go see it". Agents are usually very happy to start to engage and start doing work because it establishes a basis for themselves as their agent - their commission earning agent. This is not a criticism as they are just doing their jobs but at least ideally agents should avoid progressing casually and without discussion and/or agreements.

Snap advice to just call an agent is very poor and irresponsible advice to give to consumers. Consumers should think first which is what I usually suggest - do they want to work with a buyer's agent? do they even understand how buyer's agents work and how they are paid and how much it costs? have they talked to a few to make the right choice?. As we see in this case, early activities when everything seems so casual and friendly can turn out to create all kinds of nasty problems later.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Regardless of whether there is commission due or what a sign in sheet means, I think that this should be a cautionary tale for all. Regardless of the outcome, it has create stress and a mess for the poor buyer.

It's a cautionary tale because sometimes we see advice here from agents that consumers should "just call an agent". Like if they see an ad for a house they like - "just call a buyer's agent and go see it". Agents are usually very happy to start to engage and start doing work because it establishes a basis for themselves as their agent - their commission earning agent. This is not a criticism as they are just doing their jobs but at least ideally agents should avoid progressing casually and without discussion and/or agreements.

Snap advice to just call an agent is very poor and irresponsible advice to give to consumers. Consumers should think first which is what I usually suggest - do they want to work with a buyer's agent? do they even understand how buyer's agents work and how they are paid and how much it costs? have they talked to a few to make the right choice?. As we see in this case, early activities when everything seems so casual and friendly can turn out to create all kinds of nasty problems later.
You continually denigrate the role of Buyer's agents. Do you really think that Buyers are better off dealing solely with agents who have a duty to represent the best interests of the Seller?

At least if you ever go to court, you won't need to hire an attorney to represent you. You can just trust the Prosecutor to look out for your interests.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You continually denigrate the role of Buyer's agents. Do you really think that Buyers are better off dealing solely with agents who have a duty to represent the best interests of the Seller?

At least if you ever go to court, you won't need to hire an attorney to represent you. You can just trust the Prosecutor to look out for your interests.
My point was clear and simple. Consumers should think before they run to an agent. Advice to just call an agent to go see a house without first thinking about what kind of representation they want is poor advice. As this thread should teach us.

I'm not sure where and how my post could be taken as 'denigration' of buyer's agents. strange.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
My point was clear and simple. Consumers should think before they run to an agent. Advice to just call an agent to go see a house without first thinking about what kind of representation they want is poor advice. As this thread should teach us.

I'm not sure where and how my post could be taken as 'denigration' of buyer's agents. strange.
Maybe a better point would be to interview buyer agents and select a good one rather than just calling them at random to see homes?

Then sign an agency as dictated by the laws and guidelines and ensure that the buyer has the ability to unilaterally cancel if dissatisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate