Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM

79 posts, read 216,039 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of mention on these threads about Zillow, the Real Estate site that gives a value of a particular home......I feel an urge to speak up.

First of all...in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a Realtor. My experience with Zillow has been very poor. See....here's the deal. Zillow does not take into account any features, tangible or intangible. They have no way of knowing if a house has.....upgraded granite, fenced yard, new bathroom, premium lot, professional landscaping, etc, etc, etc. They just don't know....how could they?

I have seen value variances of over 25% vs. true market value....that's a lot of money. Sometimes their value is high, sometimes it's low.....just all over the board. I've seen them use comps over 10 miles away, and with a difference in sf of over 50%....it's crazy.

My advice is to NOT use Zillow to get an estimate of your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHOMEBOY View Post
I've seen lots of mention on these threads about Zillow, the Real Estate site that gives a value of a particular home......I feel an urge to speak up.

First of all...in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a Realtor. My experience with Zillow has been very poor. See....here's the deal. Zillow does not take into account any features, tangible or intangible. They have no way of knowing if a house has.....upgraded granite, fenced yard, new bathroom, premium lot, professional landscaping, etc, etc, etc. They just don't know....how could they?

I have seen value variances of over 25% vs. true market value....that's a lot of money. Sometimes their value is high, sometimes it's low.....just all over the board. I've seen them use comps over 10 miles away, and with a difference in sf of over 50%....it's crazy.

Good advice.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
I've pulled up my previous home when I found out about this site and found that it is not at all acurate. It had my house (colonial w/2 car garage) about 20k lower than a split foyer in the neighborhood with no garage. It made no sense of the values. I am not sure how they calculate them, it can't go by square footage with the values all over.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:50 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,448 times
Quote:

I totally agree! I think zillow is a good way to get a very broad estimate on the area you are looking at but that is it. If I look up my neighborhood on it the estimates in general are good but if you look house to house the estimates are all over the place and not accurate.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
I agree. Zillow is not an accurate tool...

Old 03-22-2008, 06:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:

I have used zillow to get a list of properties that have recently sold and their prices, and I have used it to watch if a property value is going up or down (which is pretty much a determining factor of the neighborhood, not the actual property), but never to judge the actual value of a property.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
agreed- Pghquest,I'm not even sure that's all that accurate if it is an infill neighborhood of scrapes... for example, the home a block over from me went for 500K. Which actually made my home immediately decrease in "zillowestimate" about 12%. However, they immediately scraped that home and will likely build a 1.5 Million dollar home. So that will increase my value. So it depends on the neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Zillow sucks. They overprice and underprice by TENS of THOUSANDS.

Which makes it pretty much worthless.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
I am an appraiser and cannot tell you how often a loan officer or homeowner use Zillow or another AVM as an example when my reports don;t agree with the values the AVMs spit out.

AVMs are worthless because the data they use is questionable. Not t mention the lack of detail on the Subject, as the OP pointed out.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times
I like the pictures in zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate