Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:31 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are investors. While we were looking at this property earlier today to either flip or turn into a rental property, several people and their agents came and left in haste.

The place is not pretty to look at. It suffers from this thing called old age. But it has great bones and good layout. Plus it is in a very good area.

We were both chuckling everytime some people came by and left in a hurry.

Why in the world would people be visiting a place that's clearly labeled as needing a lot of work expecting a move in ready home? Some of the Realtors even said out loud they didn't expect to stay long.

Other investors out there. You guys run into the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
People forget that the low-hanging fruit is often bruised and mottled. But investors know it tastes sweeter.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
People forget that the low-hanging fruit is often bruised and mottled. But investors know it tastes sweeter.
Hehe, yes. The place is a gold mine. If they accept the price we offered, we expect to make almost 100k in profit if we flip it. But again, as it stands it is definitely not "move in ready". It was quite hilarious to watch people come, make a face, and left in a hurry.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Some people think the flip is like what they see on HGTV.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Who knows. People go to see homes and leave without wasting a lot of time for many reasons. If it makes you feel superior to think that they are all stupid while you're picturing yourself laughing all the way to the flipping bank with this house, all the power to you.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:46 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Every single person going to look at a house has a different expectation and skill set. For some people, the skill set may be limited to slapping paint on a wall. For others, it may involve full-scale construction skills. Don't assume everyone has the funds/time/experience to be an investor. While lots of people have made money on fix-and-flips, a lot of other people go into it unprepared and lose money.

MYOB and just be grateful all these people aren't putting in offers and forcing you into a multiple offer situation. :-)

Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Who knows. People go to see homes and leave without wasting a lot of time for many reasons. If it makes you feel superior to think that they are all stupid while you're picturing yourself laughing all the way to the flipping bank with this house, all the power to you.
You're taking this the wrong way. We don't feel superior. But the house is clearly listed as not move in ready and needing a lot of work. Why would people looking for move in ready houses come at all? That's the point. They came expecting something pretty then ran in terror.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Agent and buyers are in the general area viewing houses.
They see an Open House sign, and have time. And, the buyer asks to drop in.

Or, the buyer is just looking hard in the general area and considering options.
Like dBlack says, all different expectations and skills, and they may need to see a fixer to get an idea what they could be in for.
Many buyers just don't grasp the impacts and expense and difficulty of a heavy renovation, and visiting the house could help them learn.

Sure. Why not?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:24 AM

801 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You're taking this the wrong way. We don't feel superior. But the house is clearly listed as not move in ready and needing a lot of work. Why would people looking for move in ready houses come at all? That's the point. They came expecting something pretty then ran in terror.
Aw, go on and feel superior. You're looking at a great deal that no one else sees... that IS superior. So what if you're feeling good about a tidy potential profit no one else can see? I feel positively giddy when I find a squeaky $15 dresser at Goodwill that I know I can tighten up, clean and oil, put $20 in handles on, and sell for $200 on Craigslist the next day.

Congrats on your find and I hope it works out!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
You're looking at it as an investment and from your personal context and needs. They're looking at it with needs that differ from yours.

I know from experience that buyers often will "hope" a property that seems to be a great deal will work for them. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate