Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,081,152 times

Advertisements

I am doing some basic renovations to prepare my house for sale. I have two linoleum floors that need to be replaced, both in guest bathrooms. I originally thought we would use ceramic tile but my contractor is suggesting LVP/T (luxury vinyl, either the planks or the tiles)?

It's significantly less expensive and would take less time to put in, since LVP goes on top of linoleum. But, I'd like to know what realtors think. Is it attractive to buyers?

Also, is there a reason to choose the "wood plank" tiles instead of the ones that look more like ceramic tiles?

I personally prefer the look of the ones that look like tiles, but I notice most of the photos and reviews are of the planks. But... I'm replacing the floor to attract buyers and not to please my own taste, so I'd be willing to get the planks if they are a better product.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-25-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,893,420 times
Both of those are really popular in my area. I like the look of the "wood" tile, too, but I can see where the LVP is more cost effective especially for large areas. Probably depends on the house price point - if it's in an area of more affordable homes, the LVP would work - if it's upscale with higher end finishes on other things, the tile would be more appealing.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM

14,305 posts, read 11,780,231 times
These LPV floors are really popular right now, and they are beautiful... either the wood or stone look, but I'm afraid I don't know how well they'll hold up for the long term. That remains to be seen.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,081,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Both of those are really popular in my area. I like the look of the "wood" tile, too, but I can see where the LVP is more cost effective especially for large areas. Probably depends on the house price point - if it's in an area of more affordable homes, the LVP would work - if it's upscale with higher end finishes on other things, the tile would be more appealing.
The price point is $650-700. The neighborhood is 20 years old and was once considered upscale, but now would be labeled "affordable, but in an upscale way" if that makes sense. There are plenty of newer million dollar homes nearby, but not in my neighborhood. Neighborhood still has a good reputation and is very pretty, but it's out of fashion now and no longer the choice for people who care about style.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,851,207 times
> The price point is $650-700.

Usually that is ceramic tile country. But you had linoleum? That's very low end.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,071,655 times
what is common in your price range?

would you expect any Buyers to be turned off by tile?

LVP is a new enough product that I won't claim to know much (I have seen a similar high-end product before that looked good in high-traffic applications).

I just don't see people being turned off by tile.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM

14,305 posts, read 11,780,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> The price point is $650-700.

Usually that is ceramic tile country. But you had linoleum? That's very low end.
I sure wish sheet vinyl wasn't considered low end. IMHO, it's the most under-rated flooring out there, and in many ways, the best floor for bathrooms.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM

3,991 posts, read 2,666,904 times
I had LVP installed in my bathrooms almost a year ago. I personally got a 'stone looking' kinda (a wood floor look in a bathroom, to me, just looks weird). I had actually debating ceramic tile, but the saleswoman advised between the expense and the fact that it costs more to fix if a tile cracks and is usually harder on the feet/ankles....LVP won. I love it. I love how it feels under my feet. And so far, no problems with it.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
As a buyer my preference is tile, but I wouldn't turn down a house I like because of vinyl flooring.

The plank flooring isn't going to offend anyone's taste, but you have to be careful with tile, there seems to be a fad of tile with a huge gaudy pattern and I absolutely hate it. If you do tile, stay neutral and understated.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,369,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
As a buyer my preference is tile, but I wouldn't turn down a house I like because of vinyl flooring.

The plank flooring isn't going to offend anyone's taste, but you have to be careful with tile, there seems to be a fad of tile with a huge gaudy pattern and I absolutely hate it. If you do tile, stay neutral and understated.
Ditto.
Except in cold regions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate