Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times

Advertisements

I am trying to sell my house myself, pricing it at a bargain (possible because of no commission), below market value (a realtor who was/is trying to get my business gave me a CMA; his opinion, based on sold properties in the area, seems reasonable to me - I'm listing 4% below that, and willing to sell even lower), to get a quick sale.

Any successful FSBO-ers out there who have opinions about which sites are the best to use to market a house this way? Any bad experiences? I am willing to use a pay site to get a nice package, lots of photos, etc., but don't want to waste money.

(P.S. - the great 'clean out' is going along well!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
i would defitnely buy a MLS package so you will be on realtor.com. Craiglist, move.com, etc. there are many good websites. I have no experience in your State so that can be different than where I live.
To me you are doing a smart thing by pricing it lower because you don't pay commison to a listing agent and as far as I know you have to have a lawyer in your state to close, so that will take care off other issues.
They only thing I would do is offer 3% to the buyers agent or what ever is normal in your State, other wise the only people you can attrack is buyers without representation which eliminates a larger group.
Put up flyers if you can at post offices and have a sign in your yard with you phone number on it where you can be reached 24/7 if needed.

Good Luck.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
You can try iggyshouse.com and it gives you a free MLS listing (which in turn gets you on realtor.com free). You may also want to check militarybyowner.com if you live within an hour of a military base.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM

I just looked on iggyshouse.com and did see the free mls listing. Great, thanks for the info.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
I used Iggyshouse for 6 months and craigslist for six months and 3 percent to realtor without a nibble.There is collusion among realtors against FSBO.Our home was appraised by registered appraiser at $188,000,for 3 months it was listed at $170,000 and then $160,000.Iggy offers an outstanding easy to use site.We are now listed with Century 21 at $174,000,kind of sad tht realtors are mostly vultures.I was told by realtor to put price at $179,000 and commission at 10 percent.With the 10 percent realtor's will look beyond there listings.Otherwise they could care less about my 3 percent.This ranch home sits on 5 acres with 2 shops.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Dan, I'm sorry you feel that way, but you are wrong. I showed a FSBO home on Thursday and have no problem showing them again. The biggest problem that an unrepresented seller has is exposure, particularly in a market where there is plenty of inventory that is marketed much better than you have the ability to do on your own. The great majority are also not priced competitively with the competition and almost none have an accurate seller's property disclosure that buyers need to evaluate a home. Many buyers also ask me why a seller would go that route and question whether the house may have some defects that they are afraid to reveal.

I'm also having a hard time understanding why anybody would have any interest in your home listed at 174,900 when you've previously listed it for 170,000 and 160,000. Perhaps maybe you're learning that REALTORS would prefer to look out for their client's best interests rather than a higher payoff at the end. Eye opening isn't it?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I used Iggyshouse for 6 months and craigslist for six months and 3 percent to realtor without a nibble.There is collusion among realtors against FSBO.Our home was appraised by registered appraiser at $188,000,for 3 months it was listed at $170,000 and then $160,000.Iggy offers an outstanding easy to use site.We are now listed with Century 21 at $174,000,kind of sad tht realtors are mostly vultures.I was told by realtor to put price at $179,000 and commission at 10 percent.With the 10 percent realtor's will look beyond there listings.Otherwise they could care less about my 3 percent.This ranch home sits on 5 acres with 2 shops.
I looked on iggyshouse and noticed that only 1% goes to the buyers agent so that is probable why the realtors didn't come to your house. For less than 3% they won't come but I have sold a couple of homes to buyers who were not represented and paid less commision because our listing agreement stated that there was a different commision percentage with a buyers agent or without one.
I would never give into the 10% commision. If evrybody starts doing it they will go up even higher. Try to get a MLS lisitng with a broker who will ask a flat fee and offer the buyers agent 3% and make the price as what you had. In todays market not many houses get sold, but the basicly 1% won't help much.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
If you're on MLS then you're at least in a limited representation case and you aren't a FSBO.

Secondly, Dan, there isn't collusion. You just did a poor job marketing your home and nobody knew it was for sale. You should have fired your listing agent (yourself) sooner. I don't care if you FSBO or not, but don't complain when you do such a sorry job that we don't know your home for sale. You chose to limit your exposure so you have no room to complain.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
I listed on Iggyshouse, but when I went to get the "free MLS listing" they want to put it on a MLS that's not the one for this area. It's a nearby city (Syracuse) and surrounds, not Ithaca. I'm sure Ithaca's on a different MLS. Does anyone know why Iggys would only be able to list on some MLSs and not others? I don't know much about the whole MLS thing.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
They are only on some MLS because they only pay into those local boards.

If they wanted to be on my local MLS they would need to join the Hernando County Association of Realtors for around $500 a year. If they did it for every MLS just in Florida it would run into the 10's of thousands just in board dues.

But if they only pay for an MLS here and there they can advertise to people that they list in the MLS for them, they just don't explain that it could be an MLS that is completely useless for that individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate