Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I started calling our home the 50 shades of gray house.
That's fine if it comes with Dakota Johnson in the playroom.

I don't understand why anyone would want to date stamp their house like that. Particularly if it's used as more than just a paint color that can be changed easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's fine if it comes with Dakota Johnson in the playroom.

I don't understand why anyone would want to date stamp their house like that. Particularly if it's used as more than just a paint color that can be changed easily.
well, it's pretty much going to come down to varying shades of white, beige and gray. Pick your poison! The beiges are the 2000s, grays are the 2010s, maybe we'll go back to white walls in the 2020s?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?

Good point! I know exactly what you're talking about (weather wise, for sure).

But "gray" comes in all forms, and frankly, I don't think the average Joe gets it. I am a certified "gray-a-phile" myself. Simply because "happy" primary colors and things like lime green (ugh!) belong in a pre-school room, not a house.

I use grayed-out other colors! Like my grayish green bedroom, and my grayed-out "taupe" living room, and a tasteful grayed-out tan on the exterior. There are all kinds of "grays." The worst of the worst, and often mindlessly used, is steel gray. Ugly, cold as heck, colorless (except for a bluish undertone) and useless for all but maybe a car. But I see it used too much where it don't belong.

The trick is to look under the primary color on the chart that you like for that purpose, and then move to the grayed out versions of that color (not the other way around). You'll avoid steel gray for sure. Who wants a room painted the color of battleship?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?
I've noticed that. Gray? Really? It could work in a very sunny, hot location, but not in a cold region or in the Eastern part of a time zone. A nice, light off-white would be much better in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've noticed that. Gray? Really? It could work in a very sunny, hot location, but not in a cold region or in the Eastern part of a time zone. A nice, light off-white would be much better in my opinion.
We live in a sunny warm area, on the coast. Maybe that is why we love our home.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Because people are sick and tired of seeing yellow tones.

Even in the tile flooring, let alone the walls. "travertine".

Enough with the yellowish. For DECADES - it wasn't a "trend".

When I bought a townhouse in 1987, I had two options. White or yellow-y beige. it was called "almond". For tile and cabinets.

Then a couple years later people got tuned into "decorator" stuff and went to florals, Ralph Lauren, Laura Ashley, yada yada. Nobody HAD those options before mass market accessibility. Only people who knew about "traditional" with the Queen Anne, chintz etc.

You've seen the 80's cabinets? With the "oak" laminate trim?

https://i1.wp.com/www.thetasteemaker...size=720%2C511

And fake butcher block?

YELLOW.

I DID buy a wall unit in GREY in 1988 LOL. From Conrans. Melamine.

You're seeing popularity of mostly greige. A grey'brown undertone tone white-beige.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-01-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 04:41 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
The color that it is called is "Greige."

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grei...w=1745&bih=863

Old 02-02-2018, 04:59 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Still pretty well all grey here. Though a bit more white is coming through. I like colours like the seventies, hated the pinks in the eighties. Trouble is here people dress a lot in grey and black as well. Our kids all wear school uniforms right through high school and I think people just graduate themselves into a work uniform, often black or grey. A dark suit in the corporate world, a black t shirt working for the local pizza restaurant.
Lucky we have a nice bright sky most of the time. Otherwise grey houses, rooms, and also cars, and people is all too depressing.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:21 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

Is this the color now?
My mother in law had a "decorator friend" redo her whole house in gray, yeah it looked morbid.

Luckily a year later she had a flood and when she redid the damage half of the gray was redone with white.

The gray flooring kills a house for me. My "go to favorite" is a light wood (think bowling alley color) and while it comes and goes it doesn't kill a room like gray or the dark brown from 10 years ago.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 AM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People tend to overdue any good thing.

I have seen gray houses that I dislike as much as you do.
But, when I had my offices painted last year, I used a lot of gray at the advice of a decorator.
"Agreeable Gray" with lots of colored canvases on the walls, and the canvases really pop out.
I like it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

But, gray walls, cabinets, tile, counters?
Yeah, I agree. Awful. Just awful.
I've always tended to prefer neutral wall colors. I don't want the walls working against whatever I am decorating with. And certainly not dark colored walls for living areas. I like grey as an exterior paint. But fixtures? Gag. Actually, I would consider grey as just barely neutral. Off-white and beige tones are much better.

So I'm kinda on board with the OP - there is enough grey in the weather, I don't need it indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate