Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Geeze folks... she's not meddling, she's thinking of putting her house on the market and wondering how this works. And you haven't reassured her one bit.

Jerseyj... The good news is, a home just like yours got a lot of people at an open house! That's a good thing. Bad thing if people were running around unsurpervised, adult or child.

In general, the homeowner is responsible for accidental damage, just as you would if guests were over. The house is for sale for your benefit, after all... so they're not unwelcome guests. Intentional damage would be the fault of the person who did it. But a child is seldom culpable for damage done. If a realtor could or should have prevented the damage, you might be able to have the realtor fix it, but that would be unusual. It's also pretty unusual for there to be damage done at all. Your situation you witnessed is not common. Ask your realtor about his/her policy and ideas for open houses at your place when you list it, and whether open houses will or should be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
We did opens at both homes we sold. In my mind, the exposure is worth the risk. I have been to open houses where there is a nicely worded sign on the door that essentially says "parents please hold your children by the hand, we don't want them to get harmed." Additionally, remove that expensive Ming Dynasty vase, that you hold dear, as well as any little things that you would not want to go astray. I had some antique things from my grandmother and removed them to a locked cabinet. I don't have a lot of tchotchke's so for us that was not a problem. Your realtor can only be in one place at a time so remove what you treasure.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:32 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Geeze folks... she's not meddling, she's thinking of putting her house on the market and wondering how this works. And you haven't reassured her one bit.

Jerseyj... The good news is, a home just like yours got a lot of people at an open house! That's a good thing. Bad thing if people were running around unsurpervised, adult or child.

In general, the homeowner is responsible for accidental damage, just as you would if guests were over. The house is for sale for your benefit, after all... so they're not unwelcome guests. Intentional damage would be the fault of the person who did it. But a child is seldom culpable for damage done. If a realtor could or should have prevented the damage, you might be able to have the realtor fix it, but that would be unusual. It's also pretty unusual for there to be damage done at all. Your situation you witnessed is not common. Ask your realtor about his/her policy and ideas for open houses at your place when you list it, and whether open houses will or should be done.
I will restrain my words but all I can say Diana is thank goodness you showed up on this thread. The OP's very clear concern was not being handled well by others in the industry and I doubt a positive impression for the industry was being made.

You repeatedly show the value of having an agent who listens to and understands what the consumer is saying and discusses it in a straightforward manner vs those who just don't seem to get it most of the time.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Thanks J-B.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We did opens at both homes we sold. In my mind, the exposure is worth the risk. I have been to open houses where there is a nicely worded sign on the door that essentially says "parents please hold your children by the hand, we don't want them to get harmed." Additionally, remove that expensive Ming Dynasty vase, that you hold dear, as well as any little things that you would not want to go astray. I had some antique things from my grandmother and removed them to a locked cabinet. I don't have a lot of tchotchke's so for us that was not a problem. Your realtor can only be in one place at a time so remove what you treasure.
IOW, recognize that there are advantages and risks to open houses. Also recognize that any child -- or adult, might bang an unstopped door against a tile causing damage -- What would you do if a visiting friend's child did that in your bathroom?. Use a little common sense and most major issues will be avoided, In both open houses and daily lives, one cannot foresee and avoid every potential problem all of the time.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Isnt that what Homeowners Insurance is for?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
When you put your house on the market it's at risk of damage even with private showings. We sold our house a few years ago and our camera system caught one prospective buyer totally ignoring her kids to the point where they were jumping on our leather couches (one almost hit his head on our table) and rummaging through all the kitchen drawers. The agent brought the buyer upstairs while all of this was happening.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
and they may even use your toilets.....

Old 02-02-2018, 11:01 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Thank you Diana.
Man this is a rough crowd, thought it was a simple question.

The child was clearly unattended, Mom was upstairs. But that is not the point.
As a seller I am turning my home over to the care of an agent for a short amount of time.

What kind of precautions can I reasonably expect the showing agent to take to try and avoid a possible situation like this?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
When you put your house on the market it's at risk of damage even with private showings. We sold our house a few years ago and our camera system caught one prospective buyer totally ignoring her kids to the point where they were jumping on our leather couches (one almost hit his head on our table) and rummaging through all the kitchen drawers. The agent brought the buyer upstairs while all of this was happening.
I do think parents should not bring their kids to look at a house unless they are at the age where they know look, do not touch. Parents who are diligent and watch their children won't be able to fully look at the house and parents who are looking at the house carefully won't be able to mind their children well. Of course, this is different if the child is a baby and you are holding it but if they can walk and run around...leave them home.

Personally, I am not sure how much open houses help sales as I tend to think they bring looky lookers and neighbors. Realtors may know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate