Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In my state, easements and rights of way are recorded with the deed. I've had them on every house I've owned in 2 states.
It's interesting to hear of such regional differences. I wonder how it is in OP's Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I thought utility easements generally were along the front of lots and along back lot lines. From what I have seen the "main" gas lines run along the front easements and individual homes have lines that feed off of that. Are they running a "main" gas line to neighborhoods behind your home. If so why do they not install main lines along front easements in that neighborhood? Maybe there is some obstacles that prevent that? How big is this line(diameter)? Do you have gas hook up in your home? Is the utility company doing this running lines along easement doing it that way because it's cheaper than running it to neighborhood along streets /front easements?

There were some problems in Minneapolis-Saint Paul when gas companies were replacing underground pipes and nicked gas lines causing gas explosions. They had to go back and inspect to make no others were damaged.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2010/02/24/explosion-folo
Izzie,

There are gas lines along the front. What they are doing here is connecting my city to another cities larger system. Nothing to do with my own personal house, per se. That's why I questioned this. Apparently the best place for my city to improve it's gas lines by adjoining to the neighboring cities larger lines is next to my house.

That's what I found so unusual, and feel like I need to question this. There's other places they could do this rather than beside my house.

Thanks for your kind comments. And thanks for the link to that story.

Blazin

Last edited by Blazin65; 02-12-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
This wouldn't concern me much, except I'd want to watch them (from inside, if possible) to make sure they don't do something improper in the digging. Just in case they damage something.
Lord no. I plan to be gone when this is going on. I've actually thought about asking for compensation for a hotel. This is literally right on top of me. These people will be walking all over my yard for several days going to the other neighborhood, including the back yard right on my patio. Unless I lock the fence and tell them they have to go around.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Lord no. I plan to be gone when this is going on. I've actually thought about asking for compensation for a hotel. This is literally right on top of me. These people will be walking all over my yard for several days going to the other neighborhood, including the back yard right on my patio. Unless I lock the fence and tell them they have to go around.
The utility doesn't have to have your permission with an existing easement to work in that area and can forcibly remove any fence, gate or lock at will.

If they don't already have an existing easement, the city, county, state or federal government and claim the property with "fair compensation" under eminent domain. You won't win that argument.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
For some fun reading google these words: your city, state easement rights.

Gas stuff is not so bad because of that long vertical drill. Our gas company also did the best reseeding job of anyone, landscaping company included.

But a few of us lost power for several hours recently because the auger had nicked an electric line ever so very slightly and eventually it showed up. But that was a known thing that could happen and immediately suspected by the electric company so they got to work on it.

It can be really frustrating to maintain a yard knowing that a utility company has a right to go on it or dig under or into it...or DOT can need it for widening your road. I know some people who just put up a line of bushes or trees and didn't concern themselves with the very front area with the easement....until the HOA sent them letters telling them it is in their rules that that strip should be maintained nicely.

Yeah, it's hard to truly totally own land because everyone has those rights to utilities. Ever expanding need for utilities. Even in some ag areas. A tower can go up.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Why do you think they will be walking all over your yard for several days? They are doing a horizontal drilling 4 feet under ground, not where they have to walk all over your yard for several days. Usually there will be no need to even step onto your yard. The drilling and pipe installation will be from a hole in the street or wherever the existing gas line is located, or where ever the existing gas line is located. They will have to dig down to the existing gas line (where the man hole cover will be when they are done) and work from there. And no they do not pay for your hotel. They have had that easement when the subdivision was planned. They do not have to pay you any compensation or expenses, as they already own the right to do what they are going to do. In fact, they will probably do the drilling from the other property, as it will not have a street to fool around with to set up their drilling equipment. There is not going to be the big disruption in your life like you are anticipating. They will have to dig down to the gas line, so they can make the connection to the existing gas line. If the existing gas line is through your front yard, they will have to dig down there to make the connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMSQTzJxro4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate