Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:49 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times

Advertisements

Looking for a general rule of thumb and strictly talking about the month where it would be best to buy for the lowest price and best to sell for the highest price.

Of course it might not be a universally held truth for whatever the answer is but I’m just looking for a general rule of thumb.

I’m looking into buying right now. Particularly in Massachusetts or possibly Rhode Island if that makes a difference to your answer. The areas I am most interested in right now are Lowell, Salem/Danvers, Waltham, Providence, and Cumberland (pretty much my interest is in that order).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:58 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Best month to buy a house is the month that the house you want goes up for sale.

Seriously, I don't think there is one answer for this question. Too many variables!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:09 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We were advised to put our house on the market the first week of November in NY last year. I was skeptical as it went against everything I thought I knew about selling a house. Waiting to sell in early spring seemed to be the better time to me.

The house sold 18K over our asking price as two cash buyers got in a bidding war within days after it was listed. The closing was the week before Christmas with the new owners moving in with snow and very cold weather. I obviously knew nothing about when it was best to sell a house or the current market in that area.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-07-2018 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
For a suburban house in cold country, best to buy between Thanksgiving and New Years. Only eager sellers are advertising then IMHO. Best to sell? Maybe mid spring when all the trees look nice and the people with kids would like to know the house would close before the new school year. Of course there would be tons of competition so you better have something special. But really, you cannot guess where the market will be in the future. What if you wait 6 months only to find that mortgage interest rates have gone up a bunch? Unless folks are buying for cash that is a big ouch.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
The best time in Florida would be summer because less competition, but the best time to buy is before the new year if it will be your primary home because then you can apply for the Homestead exemption on your taxes for the next year.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:35 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Buying in winter usually means less competition, and it also allows you to check the condition of the soil when it gets wet and to spot roof leaks.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM

116 posts, read 143,900 times
The market is very cyclical. I run a lot of market reports and at least here in CT - the best time to sell is Spring - If given no timing restrictions list in March to April.
Buying is the opposite. October to Novemberish is when you are likely to find the best deals.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Best time to buy is when there are less buyers and sellers want to ensure they capture one of them so they price lower, and that's in the Winter. When is Winter in your market?

The best time to sell as a seller is when there are the most amount of buyers out looking so there is more of a sure thing that the right buyer sees your house... That's typically Spring. When is Spring in your market?

Each market has different weather and seasons. The answers for my market, I would say, are December to buy and April to sell.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For a suburban house in cold country, best to buy between Thanksgiving and New Years. Only eager sellers are advertising then IMHO. Best to sell? Maybe mid spring when all the trees look nice and the people with kids would like to know the house would close before the new school year. Of course there would be tons of competition so you better have something special. But really, you cannot guess where the market will be in the future. What if you wait 6 months only to find that mortgage interest rates have gone up a bunch? Unless folks are buying for cash that is a big ouch.
I sold a house in "cold country" (Michigan)...or rather my realtor sold it...not all that many years ago, and she was adamant April was the hot month, bad pun intended. April, the snow has retreated and grass still dormant. Still, spring is in the air, becoming more so by May. There can be some cool days that are a big improvement over sub-freezing. When the sun comes out, as it does there in April, people want to get a jump. Sure enough, it sold fast in April. Not a coincidence, as I listed at what it was worth.

Realtors in Seattle have different views. I pay them a good chunk of dough for their opinion to maximize profits, so will defer when next I sell.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minna_reid View Post
The market is very cyclical. I run a lot of market reports and at least here in CT - the best time to sell is Spring - If given no timing restrictions list in March to April.
Buying is the opposite. October to Novemberish is when you are likely to find the best deals.
I’m looking to buy in MA most likely (possibly RI) so I figure our seasons should be the same. Winter really doesn’t hit hard until January/February though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate