Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Saw this in another thread....

So...if I bought accesss to the MLS...I'd have people's gate codes?

Told you it was a stupid question.

(From)
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-should-6.html

I must disagree.

There are several issues that are often overlooked by those who make similiar comments as yours. Not the least of which is, the issue of security.

Most sellers do not want "just anyone" knowing their address, telephone numbers, when they are out, gate codes etc - an "open" MLS as you suggest would actually make it more dangerous for sellers.

Hence why the information on the "public side" of the MLS is filtered the way it is

Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Yes...in most places you would have to be an RE Agent to gain that access...or something closely related...appraisers and such.

Full MLS is not open to the public.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Ok..follow up question....
Can you tell when someone has accessed that information?
I've never accessed the MLS. And I'm psycho about security. So, I'm curious.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Ok..follow up question....
Can you tell when someone has accessed that information?
I've never accessed the MLS. And I'm psycho about security. So, I'm curious.

Not practically. Journal tapes would likely show who had accessed a particular MLS form in a particular time frame. Does not however show they ever actually looked at it. And you will likely find large numbers of people who down loaded a particular record.

Note that gate codes are commonly available to such as the post man and various delivery men and gardners.

I know of a dozen or so outside of the Real Estate business.

Un manned gates are basically worthless for security. Even manned gates are of questionable value.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Minimum wage pizza delivery personnel all seem to have gate codes as well. If you are that concerned about security, move out before you put your house on the market.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Some people give out gate codes very easy. But recently I called a realtor to see a house as an unrepresented buyer. The realtor told me the back sliding door was open and I could go in that way. (realtor didn't have to come to show the home) I did, but felt uncomfortable since it wasn't bak owned but privately owned and togo in through the back made me feel like a kind of trespassing.

By the way I never had spoken or met this realtor before.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
I believe you're talking about gate codes for an HOA gated community. One should think of those gates as "Privacy" gates -- not "Security" gates. They only serve to reduce the amount of traffic on your private streets.

People can get in those gates without even knowing the code. So "Privacy" is the real purpose. If you think "Security" gates, then you will have a false sense of security.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Beside the fact that anyone that wants in and doesn't have a code can just wait and piggyback in with another car.
I do it all the time.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not practically. Journal tapes would likely show who had accessed a particular MLS form in a particular time frame. Does not however show they ever actually looked at it. And you will likely find large numbers of people who down loaded a particular record.

Note that gate codes are commonly available to such as the post man and various delivery men and gardners.

I know of a dozen or so outside of the Real Estate business.

Un manned gates are basically worthless for security. Even manned gates are of questionable value.
We live in a manned community and the security is excellent

Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Beside the fact that anyone that wants in and doesn't have a code can just wait and piggyback in with another car.
I do it all the time.
I've seen it done. I used to lived in a "gated" apartment complex in Vinings, Ga. You're right...just follow the first car in. I was thinking more of a security type gate/door.

Thanks for the information everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.