Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times

Advertisements

I started this thread yesterday but it has been weirdly closed. No arguments or rudeness at all that might have initiated it. Odd.

So some asked for updates and here it is: I received a call from a Farm Bureau adjuster today, clearly higher in the food chain than the rude field adjuster yesterday. She spoke to us like we were human beings and said that they would likely offer us $1000 to take care of the trees as a "goodwill" gesture though they hadn't finished their investigation yet. So she asked for an estimate which we will get tomorrow and photos and we will see what happens. Thanks for all of the advice and insight. I had no idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I would find out the cost for the trees, and get a quote if they need to be removed. $1000 sounds really cheap to me. Especially if they need removal.
You really should be talking to a lawyer.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:47 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
I think that thread informed a lot of people including some agents who didn't seem to understand the basics of how liability insurance works. This is not a dig, just a comment that I think it was a very informative thread. If consumers (or even agents) assume that insurance covers them but it doesn't, then that could be harmful. Education and general information is important in this area.

Just a simple observation that that thread contained specific charges against named insurance companies.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
The cost of tree removal will be expensive. You also have the issue of the cost of replacing the trees--even though "replacing" a mature tree isn't really going to happen.

I don't think that this is a "goodwill" gesture by the Farm Bureau. It's more likely that they recognize that their policy holder was negligent in causing the fire and that you should be compensated under their insurance.

If you haven't done so already, I would still recommend that you talk to someone at the Kansas Insurance Department about your situation. Ask them if they think that you should be covered (that information should help in your talks with the Farm Bureau). You may still want to file a consumer complaint if you feel that the Farm Bureau's offer isn't satisfactory.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:05 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I received a call from a Farm Bureau adjuster today, clearly higher in the food chain than the rude field adjuster yesterday. She spoke to us like we were human beings and said that they would likely offer us $1000 to take care of the trees as a "goodwill" gesture though they hadn't finished their investigation yet.
This just sounds like a "good cop - bad cop" routine.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I think that thread informed a lot of people including some agents who didn't seem to understand the basics of how liability insurance works. This is not a dig, just a comment that I think it was a very informative thread. If consumers (or even agents) assume that insurance covers them but it doesn't, then that could be harmful. Education and general information is important in this area.

Just a simple observation that that thread contained specific charges against named insurance companies.
That’s why imo OP needs a lawyer. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to make ridiculous offers to cover damages jus5 to get it paid and off the books.
I had four trees cut down and it cost me 3,000 bucks. Three palms and one pine tree.
I just had 11 palms trimmed and one huge pine trimmed and that ran me I think 1,000 bucks and that was a good guy price because I use the same guy over and over.
So 1,000 bucks sounds very very cheap to me.

I changed my policies from one company to another. The new agent I got explained why my last policies weren5 that great. I got twice the coverage (monetary) for the same money. I didn’t care for my last company as they constantly adjusted the premium I couldn’t get a true cost per year. The first year I kept getting these little 20/60 dollar checks and then being asked to pay 40/70 back.
After two years of that good bye I’m done.

Way I see it is the neighbor was negligent or his actions caused the damage. Who puts a heater in a barn without securing it and making sure the animals can’t get near it? His fire caused my trees and property to be damaged. My insurance shouldn’t have to pay for damages he caused. That’s why I wouldn’t even be talking to their agent. I would be talking through a lawyer.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM

70 posts, read 70,451 times
Most homeowner policies have a coverage extension for "property damage caused by an insured" that has a looser standard of negligence. This coverage usually has a relatively low limit - $500-$1,000. Methinks this is what Farmer's is planning to offer you.

To get more, you (or a lawyer if you go down that path) are likely going to need to prove negligence on the part of the neighbor. That can prove difficult even for experts if the fire damage is extensive. Have you obtained a copy of the fire report to see if that speaks to cause/negligence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate