Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times

Advertisements

The answer should be pretty obvious to someone in this industry for any length of time.

-Just make sure your rental income is greater than your expenses no matter how many mortgages you want to take out.
-Always calculate whether your leverage is positive or negative
-Since your a newb at it, make sure you have at least 3 months of expenses saved up for vacancies, evictions and other unforseen costs.

And, of course, don't buy more than you can handle. Since you don't currently own a house you HAVE to finance a property as a primary residence. Do so, and in a year start your plan. That way you get an idea of how much maintenance expenses cost when owning a home, this will help you better figure the expeses of the home when rented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Hey Greg, so one cannot purchase a home as an investment property (without occupying it) without owning a primary residence? How does that work?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Hey Greg, so one cannot purchase a home as an investment property (without occupying it) without owning a primary residence? How does that work?
You can rent and get a loan on a house as a "2nd home", or investment property. I don't think it's that uncommon.

This thread is interesting because I'm always going to my mortgage broker to ask her these kinds of questions . . . instead of the other way around. I think maybe I'm just not following the OP's inquiry. From a mortgage standpoint I'm sure she knows how to finance multiple properties.

If there's one thing my mortgage broker has taught me, it's that each client's situation in unique and it's important to find the right mortgage product for that person's situation. Sometimes there's many options but maybe only one or two that are really practical for that individual.

For me personally, holding multiple rental properties at the same time wouldn't be my cup 'o tea - too many headaches (unless you've got a couple of great property managers lined up). I'd rather invest in commercial or raw land.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
You can rent and get a loan on a house as a "2nd home", or investment property. I don't think it's that uncommon.
I didn't think it was all that uncommon, either, which is why I asked. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post

This thread is interesting because I'm always going to my mortgage broker to ask her these kinds of questions . . . instead of the other way around. I think maybe I'm just not following the OP's inquiry. From a mortgage standpoint I'm sure she knows how to finance multiple properties.

If there's one thing my mortgage broker has taught me, it's that each client's situation in unique and it's important to find the right mortgage product for that person's situation. Sometimes there's many options but maybe only one or two that are really practical for that individual.

For me personally, holding multiple rental properties at the same time wouldn't be my cup 'o tea - too many headaches (unless you've got a couple of great property managers lined up). I'd rather invest in commercial or raw land.
A renter can purchase and finance an investment property, but not a second home. There is not a lender in business that would lend money to someone for a vacation home when they don't own a primary residence. Also it will be difficult if not impossible to purchase an investment property as a first time home buyer.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
Lots of good information here already. The only thing I would add that I've seen in multiple investments is your debt to income can get too high if you're not careful. Oh yea, and either look into 1031 for the investments (non-primary) or set them up in a corporation for asset protection. I'm certain there are others more knowledgable on these subjects. Just my 2 cents toward your research and to maybe spark some additional responses.

I also had a purportedly wise investor tell me once that a "review every two (years)" is a must.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,318 times
Your strategy would probably work in a rapidly appreciating market like the one we experienced in Phoenix in 04 and 05.

With the declines we are seeing now in 07 and 08? I wouldn't touch it.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
[color=black]
  • If you don't have a high FICO and sufficient cash on hand at the moment, use low rate balance transfers from credit cards to purchase the property outright, and then mortgage the property @ 75-80% LTV when you do qualify. I used this method once in 2006 for a $137k townhouse purchase, and it worked out perfectly. This is only risky if you aren't able to pay the balance transfer(s) off before intro rate expiration, as rates tend to default considerably higher.
I think this is a big no-no with a reputable lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate