Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Someone from the mortgage industry must've given you that advice......

Paying something in full w/o paying interest?

Now THERE'S a concept!
Or maybe the person advising it had a great idea on how that money could be used to make profit for both of them? Well if not for both of them, then for them as a fee.

Advantage of no mortgage is no foreclosure. Just pay your taxes and you survive any personal fianancial downturn. Take the money you aren't paying on your mortgage and continue to invest it. What is the one reason so many Americans are unable to retire? Debt and more debt and for many of them it is their mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
So very true.

We will pay cash for your new home when we retire and relocate to another part of the country late this summer - we are moving to an area where homes prices have never dropped and continue a small but steady climb, so we will be sinking our cash into a good investment that should continue to appreciate.

We want the personal satisfaction of owning our own home - yes, no interest deduction on our income taxes, but we have other deductions that will help us in that department. We don't ever have to worry about house payments and our biggest asset will be all ours - not some bank's.
Just been there and done that and you are right on.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Looking at it as a matter of credit score rating:
If you purchase your house out right will that do anything for your credit?
If you wanted to raise your score should your finance then pay the rest off in your first payment (or something along those lines)?

Or would huge collateral such as a house (whether financed and then paid off or just purchased out right) mean good standing in the eyes of potential creditors?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM

185 posts, read 967,329 times
>> If you purchase your house out right will that do anything for your credit?

Assuming you purchase with cash, this will not help or hurt your FICO score.

>> If you wanted to raise your score should your finance then pay the rest off in your first payment (or something along those lines)?

That's rather extreme, but this would certainly help your FICO score in the long run, and would be especially helpful when detailed payment history is concerned.

>> Or would huge collateral such as a house (whether financed and then paid off or just purchased out right) mean good standing in the eyes of potential creditors?

Creditors care about your assets when they are putting a lien on your property. Assets can be very beneficial when you are applying for a loan. For example, to increase your credit card limit above $100,000, most card issuing bank's require that you have $700,000 in liquid assets. However, a home is not considered liquid, but it is something you can mortgage or that a creditor can put a lien on.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
Someone asked this question on the mortgage section so I'm going to cut and paste the reply that I had then. It's a interesting topic and I love reading all the responses.

Anyway - This is what I wrote:

I don't know much about the tax laws and interest deduction. I have a simpler mindset.

I don't like to be cash poor either - we were in the same position pay cash or finance when we sold our house in CA and moved to TX. We chose to keep enough from the sale of our CA home (equal to one year salary) and use the rest to purchase a home. We chose to keep one year salary because my husband works and I stay home and raise our daughter.

Since our loan in relation to value on our new home was only 20% we got a equity line of credit and put the checks in the safe for just in case.

That was how we chose to handle it and it helps me sleep at night since there is only one breadwinner in the family.

I'm of the Suze Orman mindset - I don't like debt of any kind. I would prefer to have no mtg but everyone needs reserves.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Someone asked this question on the mortgage section so I'm going to cut and paste the reply that I had then. It's a interesting topic and I love reading all the responses.

Anyway - This is what I wrote:

I don't know much about the tax laws and interest deduction. I have a simpler mindset.

I don't like to be cash poor either - we were in the same position pay cash or finance when we sold our house in CA and moved to TX. We chose to keep enough from the sale of our CA home (equal to one year salary) and use the rest to purchase a home. We chose to keep one year salary because my husband works and I stay home and raise our daughter.

Since our loan in relation to value on our new home was only 20% we got a equity line of credit and put the checks in the safe for just in case.

That was how we chose to handle it and it helps me sleep at night since there is only one breadwinner in the family.

I'm of the Suze Orman mindset - I don't like debt of any kind. I would prefer to have no mtg but everyone needs reserves.
That's a different argument. If I was going to be "cash poor" then I would rethink that. I think the majority of answers were based on being comfortable even after buying outright w/cash

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
Default just my two cents - can I have change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That's a different argument. If I was going to be "cash poor" then I would rethink that. I think the majority of answers were based on being comfortable even after buying outright w/cash
O.K. Fair enough ~

Personally, I think owning your home is important and I don't think it's "foolish to buy with cash".

I do believe it's important to save some money for reserves after the purchase to weather any unexpected storms, job losses, medical expenses - just the basic unpredictability of life.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
>> If you purchase your house out right will that do anything for your credit?

Assuming you purchase with cash, this will not help or hurt your FICO score.

>> If you wanted to raise your score should your finance then pay the rest off in your first payment (or something along those lines)?

That's rather extreme, but this would certainly help your FICO score in the long run, and would be especially helpful when detailed payment history is concerned.

>> Or would huge collateral such as a house (whether financed and then paid off or just purchased out right) mean good standing in the eyes of potential creditors?

Creditors care about your assets when they are putting a lien on your property. Assets can be very beneficial when you are applying for a loan. For example, to increase your credit card limit above $100,000, most card issuing bank's require that you have $700,000 in liquid assets. However, a home is not considered liquid, but it is something you can mortgage or that a creditor can put a lien on.
thanks for the info

Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I intend to buy my next home for cash. That will be my retirement home. No mortgage payments means I can live on less income.

I'm not planning to take on a lot of debt after I retire so I don't care about my FICO score..if I can't afford it with what I have in the bank..then I'm not buying it.

Debt is what gets people in trouble to begin with.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I'm probably the first generation in my family that had to assume debt to buy my house. If you're paying cash, why care what it does to your FICO score? I think I'd probably be better off without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate