Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

doesn't sound like there's a single STATE that imposes a property tax. just locales - be they county or city/town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Our property taxes in Alabama are pretty low, but we do have a tax on groceries. I suspect if they ever abolish the grocery tax that property taxes will go up.

I don’t see how the average middle class person can afford to own a home in a state like NJ or CT, I can’t imagine paying over $5k per year in property taxes. That’s just crazy!
I know, I live in NH. We pay over $5K for a 1,100 sq ft ranch built in the 80s w/o garage or any extra amenities. We dream of moving elsewhere, but the QOL is what's keeping us here.

As PP mentioned, part of the reason for the higher taxes is the "home rule" that means each little town has to provide their own services, so each little town has their own police, schools, public works and so on. There are some towns that have joint schools, but is not the norm.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 02-28-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
doesn't sound like there's a single STATE that imposes a property tax. just locales - be they county or city/town.
There is a state component to WA state taxes. Increased recently to fund teacher salaries at a state level as community level school funding was found unconstitutional. Basically setup so the wealthier western part of the state can support the east.

But taxes are still cheaper on my $300k home here than they were on my $106k home in Ohio. Plus there's no state/city income tax. The tax savings more than covered the cost of living difference, effectively cheaper to live here.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
I know, I live in NH. We pay over $5K for a 1,100 sq ft ranch built in the 80s w/o garage or any extra amenities. We dream of moving elsewhere, but the QOL is what's keeping us here.

As PP mentioned, part of the reason for the higher taxes is the "home rule" that means each little town has to provide their own services, so each little town has their own police, schools, public works and so on. There are some towns that have joint schools, but is not the norm.
Good grief. I have a 1300 sqft rancher on 3.5 acres with a detached 24x36 garage, and my property taxes are only $700 per year.

The town I live in has only 7k people, but we have our own police/fire/street departments, although schools are county.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Our property taxes in Alabama are pretty low, but we do have a tax on groceries. I suspect if they ever abolish the grocery tax that property taxes will go up.

I don’t see how the average middle class person can afford to own a home in a state like NJ or CT, I can’t imagine paying over $5k per year in property taxes. That’s just crazy!
Keep in mind they make more in NJ than similar jobs in Alabama. I say the same analogy to the people that talk about how much people make in some of the "blue states" in that they are more expensive than red states so the disposable income in these high income high cost blue states might be less. The ideal is to work and make your $ in a blue state and then retire to red.

I think we in Washington state have a great deal overall with no state income tax, reasonable property taxes, low insurance cost, high wages, good schools, etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:

Mine are over $6,500 a year and i'm in the cheapest part of california....

And bull**** to California's ranking. I know they take it by percentage, but if they rank it to the AMOUNT of property tax incurred, California would be among the highest in the nation.

And ladies and gentlemen! That's why I plan on moving. Love my friends and fam out here but the expenses are eating me alive!!!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,021 times
Ohio- Montgomery county. 130k appraised value. 3900 a year in tax.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:09 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Ohio- Montgomery county. 130k appraised value. 3900 a year in tax.
Yup. It’s an ouch, but fortunately Ohio is reasonable in other COL indicators and it balances out somewhat.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Property taxes can and do vary a great deal from county to county within a state so for the most part, this list isn't very helpful.
+1. The property taxes listed for NY are waaaaay off. But that’s because the much of upstate has significantly lower taxes than Long Island. There are parts of upstate where one might pay $1000/year in property taxes, but the average Long Island homeowner is paying $1000/month.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Real estate taxes are local. They must be averaging rates across the state. Wow, another useless list.
Correct.

I live in Tennessee. We're thought of as a low property tax state and, generally, we are. With that said, metro Nashville (where most working people will need to live for employment) has much higher property tax rates than I did out here in the sticks of Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate